View Poll Results: Should we have a Wall?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 56.41%
  • No

17 43.59%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wall

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Escalators would be even better!!
    el chapo built nearly 100 tunnels under the walls, some costing $5 million. My guess is you could run a few hundred people thru one every night for a long time into a San Diego warehouse in the bustling tourist district, but apparently not nearly as profitable as drugs.

Made me laugh when the CBP were showing trump a video of tunnels a few blocks away when he went down there a few days ago.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 01-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    My point was that there are obvious and a lot more useful things that $5B could fund.
    Based on a bit of research, $5B will pay for:
    - a replacement for the I-75 bridge over the Ohio River
    - the Western Hills viaduct replacement
    - plus enough left to fund the entire US military for a day.

How about a poll of all that vs. a marginally effective border wall
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

My point was that there are obvious and a lot more useful things that $5B could fund.
    Sure but we aren't talking about all those other projects. We can look at any number of the things our tax dollars pay for, and find better uses for that money.

The need for a wall is there, and walls have been proven to deter illegals in many other instances. We have publicly funded walls, paid for by tax dollars, lining our highways here in town to protect neighborhoods from noise. Wouldn't it make sense to use the same kind of barrier to protect our citizens?

Of course it won't stop every person who wants to illegally come into the country, but it would make it more difficult than ever before.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post

This is silly. There isn't a stack of money sitting on a coffee table, looking to be spent. The western hills viaduct and Brent Spence bridge both need to be replaced whether a wall is built or not. We aren't deciding what to do with the stack of money, and it isn't an either/or situation.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

And here is what $5 billion WILL NOT pay for...

A wall expanding the entire US - Mexico border. $Maybe 500 billion. MAYBE. That would be quite the engineering project, and expense.

Now, to be fair, that's not what he's asking for. If he is, he'd be insane. He may be insane anyway, but this would be yet another example of it. Anyone who wants that and thinks it can be done for $5 billion is also insane. and stupid. REALLY REALLY stupid.

He wants 234 miles of all in specific areas, and is estimating that it will cost $5 billion to build.

I know a lot of people who hate Trump will hate this suggestion, but why not just give it to him?? As long as he's putting the wall in the places that the Border Agents are saying it should go (and I hope that's the plan), then what's wrong with that? Really? There ARE places on the border where a wall would help. The vast majority of the border doesn't need it, but a few places do. And if we can do it for $5 billion, then why not?

...and yes, I know that the vast majority of terrorists come in through the airports. I also know that the vast majority of drugs come through the airports, or through the mail. I also know that most illegals come in through the airports and just do not leave when their visas expire. Please spare lecturing me with facts that I already know. But I still think a wall would help in certain areas, albeit very few certain areas.
    Last edited by xubrew; 01-15-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I know a lot of people who hate Trump will hate this suggestion, but why not just give it to him??.
    This is how I'm beginning to feel. Populist policy is impractical and never meets the expectations of its supporters ie Brexit. So I say give it to him. We'll see how much better off we are with a wall and a trade war.

Read my post, there are 11M illegals in the US of which 8M are employed. That means the 3M remainder most likely consists of children and stay at home mothers. I merely assumed all 3M were kids over 5 but they aren't. From there, you have to back out all the moms and all the kids under 5 who aren't going to school.

You also have to consider that when illegals are here, it's not like they are living in a bubble. They are buying things, renting homes, buying food, and gas. Thus they are paying taxes and providing an economic benefit.

All that said, did any bother to read my post earlier regarding where illegals arrive in this country? I doubt it since this wall is still being argued over.

2/3rds of all illegals come into this country legally and merely overstay their VISA. The other 1/3rd come across the borders. We are tossing all this money at 1/3rd of the problem. Wouldn't you try to figure out the 2/3rds first? Or, is this stupid wall something tangible that Trump can take photo-ops for his knuckle dragging followers?

Read my post, there are 11M illegals in the US of which 8M are employed. That means the 3M remainder most likely consists of children and stay at home mothers. I merely assumed all 3M were kids over 5 but they aren't. From there, you have to back out all the moms and all the kids under 5 who aren't going to school.

You also have to consider that when illegals are here, it's not like they are living in a bubble. They are buying things, renting homes, buying food, and gas. Thus they are paying taxes and providing an economic benefit.

All that said, did any bother to read my post earlier regarding where illegals arrive in this country? I doubt it since this wall is still being argued over.

2/3rds of all illegals come into this country legally and merely overstay their VISA. The other 1/3rd come across the borders. We are tossing all this money at 1/3rd of the problem. Wouldn't you try to figure out the 2/3rds first? Or, is this stupid wall something tangible that Trump can take photo-ops for his knuckle dragging followers?
    Who are you talking to? I don't disagree with any of this, and nothing I said contradicts any of this.

It's probably actually more than 2/3rds of illegals that are here because they overstayed their visas, but for the sake of argument we'll go with 2/3rds.

Over 90 percent of heroin (WELL over, actually), which is a huge problem for us right now, comes in through the airports from Asia. A wall won't help with that either.

All I'm saying is that in certain places, a wall would help, and I can see how spending $5.7 billion on it in certain areas could at least be justified as being sane.
    Last edited by xubrew; 01-15-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I'm down with using some of the $5B to build a wall next to the Western Hills Viaduct to keep Westsiders like gladdenguy out of the wholesome Eastside. Who's with me?!?
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Somebody must have built a wall around Kahns...I haven't seen him in ages.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.