View Poll Results: Should we have a Wall?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 56.41%
  • No

17 43.59%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wall

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    I merely mentioned the study. Can you please write, illegal immigrants and not just immigrants and keep on the same topic. It is easier to debunk the myth that illegals are on welfare.
    What about the benefits and costs of immigration? Who do you think benefits? Who do you think pays the costs, and what are those costs?

Would like to see CAF list his pros and cons as well.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    It appears that we are getting middle of the afternoon Snipe racist bullshit. I thought this was reserved for his 2 am rants.
    To clarify, I was not calling for White Supremacy there. I am not a White Supremacist and I don't support them. I am White. I am a fan of White people. My wife and I made some little White People. I don't think that White people are superior to other peoples. Whites aren't the smartest, tallest, fastest, or strongest of peoples, they don't live the longest. Statistically they are kind of mediocre. I would make a poor White Supremacist. It is OK to be White though...

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    Just a quibble to define terms. Irish Americans amount to 34 million Americans but a small percentage of them are immigrants. I am not an immigrant. I was born here. My parents and grandparents too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Americans

From 1820 to 1910 4.8 million Irish immigrated to America.

Not all Mexican Americans are immigrants either. Roughly 10% of them can trace their lineage back to the Mexican American war. They were already here. I think we have more Mexican immigrants currently living in the country right now than we had ever come from Ireland in all of our history. We have had more immigrants from Mexico than any other nation historically.

66% of Mexicans think the United States Government has no right to limit immigration. A majority of Mexicans think that they have a right to be in the United States. 35% said that they would immigrate to the United States if they could. That amounts to 40 million people.
    Mexican American total was just 36.3m and not 40 or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Mexican American total was just 36.3m and not 40 or more.
    If I'm reading Snipe's post correctly, he's saying that 35% of current Mexicans would immigrate to the U.S. if possible. That's 40 million MORE people who would come to the U.S. in addition to the number of Mexican-Americans today (which may be the 36 million number).

Supporting Member
    So, Trump of course is overestimating but within this article there is a number; 54 billion dollars spent on Illegal Immigration. Let's say that number is even high...let's cut it in half for sake of argument. 27 billion spent on illegal immigration...this is after tax contributions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...ca-not-n950981

So tell me again how 5 billion dollars is such a big number relative to what the US spends every year. I think there could potentially be a large ROI here....

All those 36 million Mexican Americans are not immigrants. All those Irish Americans are not immigrants. An immigrant is someone who leaves their country and comes to yours. So comparing the number of Mexican American immigrants vs Irish American immigrants over our history is different than comparing the populations of their decedents.

Public opinion polls in Mexico indicate that roughly a third of the Mexican population would like to come to the United States. Those people are not immigrants, because they are Mexicans living in Mexico. It is incorrect to compare them to the number of Mexican Americans living in the United States. The population of Mexico is close 129 million people. If a third would like to come to the United States, that is another 40 million Mexicans. That number is disinct and different than the number of Mexican Americans living in the United States. These are two different populations that you are conflating.

Public opinion polls also show that 66% of Mexicans in Mexico think that the United States government has no right to limit immigration. That is not Mexican Americans, that is Mexicans in Mexico. A majority of them think that they have a right to be in the United States.

Mexico has sent more immigrants over our entire history than any other country. Many of those immigrants like to settle on lands that used to be part of Mexico. We fought a war with Mexico and took away some prime real estate, namely Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California and Utah. Unsurprisingly, that war in which we defeated Mexico and took her territory is not very popular in Mexico. Some Mexicans believe the war was unjust, and that is rightfully Mexican soil. It is not difficult to envision how these circumstances blended together could pose unique challenges and be problematic going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So tell me again how 5 billion dollars is such a big number relative to what the US spends every year. I think there could potentially be a large ROI here....
    Because it may not work and doesn't address the costs of the undocumented immigrants already living here.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Because it may not work and doesn't address the costs of the undocumented immigrants already living here.
    Well, it has worked in the areas that have a wall currently now, so hypothesis is that it would work.

I dont think anyone other than maybe trump believes this would be the end all be all to fix illegal immigration, but i think it's a start. 5 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to what is spent on illegal immigration every year. I know that sounds ridiculous, but looking at the numbers, it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Well, it has worked in the areas that have a wall currently now, so hypothesis is that it would work.

I dont think anyone other than maybe trump believes this would be the end all be all to fix illegal immigration, but i think it's a start. 5 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to what is spent on illegal immigration every year. I know that sounds ridiculous, but looking at the numbers, it is true.
    You seem to have a sensible amount of reason and conviction behind your belief in that as a solution. I think there's a chance it works to a degree, but ultimately believe a path to citizenship and crackdown on undocumented employment can sustainably generate enough revenue to offset those costs referenced. It would also help immigrants assimilate in a way they've never had the opportunity to before.

What I think myself and a lot of others get hung up on is that Trump seems less interested in finding an actual solution than fulfilling a campaign promise. The same thing is happening on the other side of the aisle. All of our politicians seem to be solely focused on the means rather than the ends. I say let the government stay closed until they can come to some form of compromise. We have to rid our bureaucrats of this hyper-partisan disorder.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    You seem to have a sensible amount of reason and conviction behind your belief in that as a solution. I think there's a chance it works to a degree, but ultimately believe a path to citizenship and crackdown on undocumented employment can sustainably generate enough revenue to offset those costs referenced. It would also help immigrants assimilate in a way they've never had the opportunity to before.

What I think myself and a lot of others get hung up on is that Trump seems less interested in finding an actual solution than fulfilling a campaign promise. The same thing is happening on the other side of the aisle. All of our politicians seem to be solely focused on the means rather than the ends. I say let the government stay closed until they can come to some form of compromise. We have to rid our bureaucrats of this hyper-partisan disorder.
    I can agree with most everything here except the keep government shutdown thing. American public that work for the government are getting completely fucked over..