View Poll Results: Should we have a Wall?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 54.05%
  • No

    17 45.95%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 186

Thread: The Wall

  1. #91
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    the answer is more White Supremacy.
    It appears that we are getting middle of the afternoon Snipe racist bullshit. I thought this was reserved for his 2 am rants.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

  2. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    This thread isn't a joke. I was actually wondering what people thought about an actual issue that is a current event.
    No, you're wrong. This thread is a complete and unfettered joke. Much like the person who started it.
    Pray the Rosary daily

  3. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    It appears that we are getting middle of the afternoon Snipe racist bullshit. I thought this was reserved for his 2 am rants.
    I have twins on the way, I will be an active participant in his 2am rants so I am getting reacquainted with him.

  4. #94
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    25,702
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    It appears that we are getting middle of the afternoon Snipe racist bullshit. I thought this was reserved for his 2 am rants.
    I think Snipe's rant had some good old fashioned racism in it, but I'm not sure the sarcasm around the ridiculous use of the term white supremacy that's currently in vogue is part of it.

  5. #95
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Google is your friend here and not sure if I used the correct search terms. Mexican Amount to about 36.3M people in the US, Irish Americans amount to about 34M people. Yes more, but really only 6% more.
    Please give me a breakdown as to how many of each group cited above have entered in the past 25 years, or are first generation? i would venture to say that the Mexican vs Irish immigration- especially illegal ones- are much higher in the more recent time frame. Without time context, your comparison means nothing.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  6. #96
    Sophomore Caf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    They have poor outcomes across generations and generations.
    This attitude, that we need a wall because Mexicans are inherently bad for America, is why the Democrats and so many others are opposed to it. Everyone here has largely agreed that immigration reform is needed. Many would agree that we should slow the flow of migration, or disincentivise it by cracking down on their employers. But you don't want reform. You just don't want Mexicans here. I suspect DJT feels the same way and that's why I'm against the wall.

  7. #97
    Hall of Famer paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    13,866
    This is great. 1958 TV show where a guy comes to town and cons the people into building a wall.
    The guy's name was Trump.

    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/1...to-townspeople
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  8. #98
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,372
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    This is great. 1958 TV show where a guy comes to town and cons the people into building a wall.
    The guy's name was Trump.

    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/1...to-townspeople
    And what do a bunch of people in Florida and South Carolina have surrounding their gated development to keep the riff raff out?

    Uh, a guard, and a wall.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  9. #99
    President Snipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    9,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post

    They have poor outcomes across generations and generations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    This attitude, that we need a wall because Mexicans are inherently bad for America, is why the Democrats and so many others are opposed to it. Everyone here has largely agreed that immigration reform is needed. Many would agree that we should slow the flow of migration, or disincentivise it by cracking down on their employers. But you don't want reform. You just don't want Mexicans here. I suspect DJT feels the same way and that's why I'm against the wall.
    The part you quoted happens to be true. Mexican Americans have been here for generations and when we look at the outcomes they are poor. If you look at education achievement or financial success, they lag behind White Americans.

    I didn't make that up. I am very sure that I personally had nothing to do with that. I don't like it. You may not like it either. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Acknowledging that it exists doesn't make me a bad person.

    I understand the world view and the arguments. I used to make some of the same arguments myself. Every group of immigrants was picked on, and the Irish reportedly were not even considered White. But the Irish assimilated and did quite well. The Jews have done a phenomenal job. So if people are picking on Mexican immigrants now, it is out of prejudice. The Mexicans will be just fine and they will soon assimilate just like all of our European forefathers in the past. It is a great story and I judge it to be the currently correct popular opinion to hold. But is it true?

    I don't think it is true, and the evidence points against it. We have had Mexicans living in America since before Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California became states. Those states used to be part of Mexico.

    Inequality is a huge issue in economics and the social sciences. The most popular reason, the correct opinion for why Mexican Americans lag behind White Americans is White racism and discrimination. White supremacy and all that. In fact assimilation and the melting pot don't seem to be the official program anymore. There are people who believe that assimilation is racist and rooted in White Supremacy.

    If your view is correct, and Mexicans will assimilate like the Irish, then everything will be great. If it turns out not to be correct, it is going to have a profound effect on the future of the nation.
    Last edited by Snipe; 01-10-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

  10. #100
    President Snipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    9,503
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Google is your friend here and not sure if I used the correct search terms. Mexican Amount to about 36.3M people in the US, Irish Americans amount to about 34M people. Yes more, but really only 6% more.
    Just a quibble to define terms. Irish Americans amount to 34 million Americans but a small percentage of them are immigrants. I am not an immigrant. I was born here. My parents and grandparents too.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Americans

    From 1820 to 1910 4.8 million Irish immigrated to America.

    Not all Mexican Americans are immigrants either. Roughly 10% of them can trace their lineage back to the Mexican American war. They were already here. I think we have more Mexican immigrants currently living in the country right now than we had ever come from Ireland in all of our history. We have had more immigrants from Mexico than any other nation historically.

    66% of Mexicans think the United States Government has no right to limit immigration. A majority of Mexicans think that they have a right to be in the United States. 35% said that they would immigrate to the United States if they could. That amounts to 40 million people.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •