View Poll Results: Should we have a Wall?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 56.41%
  • No

17 43.59%
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wall

I'm jumping the stupid wall, and coming for your wome....er...frisbees.

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    This is why McDonald's workers in Times Square need $50/hr.
    Living in the neighborhood you work in is not a privilege; it's a right.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Living in the neighborhood you work in is not a privilege; it's a right.
    My point was that there are obvious and a lot more useful things that $5B could fund.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    My point was that there are obvious and a lot more useful things that $5B could fund.
    Maybe if the government and us taxpayers could stop funding illegal immigrants to go to school, we could afford to pay teachers like your wife more.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Maybe if the government and us taxpayers could stop funding illegal immigrants to go to school, we could afford to pay teachers like your wife more.
    Even if you assume all unemployed immigrants are children in schools which is doubful, the total count of public school children in the US is about 77M. That illegal count would come out to be a bit less than 4%. Once you account for children under 5 and mothers in that total, I bet it's closer to 2% or less. Let's go ahead and waste $5B on a useless wall with unknown environmental consequences to save on what makes up anywhere from 1-4% of student population.

If I were the Mexican government, I'd spend some money and have some staircases built on Mexico's side of the wall. It wouldn't cost much at all. I would do this just to watch the people in the United States flip out. I think allowing the nation to sit back and watch the reaction would be good for morale.
    Last edited by xubrew; 01-14-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    If I were the Mexican government, I'd spend some money and have some staircases built on Mexico's side of the wall. It wouldn't cost much at all. I would do this just to watch the people in the United States flip out. I think allowing the nation to sit back and watch the reaction would be good for morale.
    Why stairs, just put up some ladders. They would mobile also so it's not like border patrol could just sit in one spot.

Not sure if it's all PPV, but I was in Mexico for a Mayweather fight and it was free down there. I believe a local told me all PPV is free down there.

Escalators would be even better!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Even if you assume all unemployed immigrants are children in schools which is doubful, the total count of public school children in the US is about 77M. That illegal count would come out to be a bit less than 4%. Once you account for children under 5 and mothers in that total, I bet it's closer to 2% or less. Let's go ahead and waste $5B on a useless wall with unknown environmental consequences to save on what makes up anywhere from 1-4% of student population.
    1. Since you dont think over a million illegal kids going to school is a problem, can we send you the bill instead of our government/taxpayers paying for it?
    2. I was half kidding.
    3. Wherever you live was once an area of migration for wildlife. Move out to the woods so you stop being part of the problem.
    Last edited by Xville; 01-14-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Agree some teachers are under paid. When I read Xville’s original response on your post about a way to pay teachers more I thought maybe. After doing a little searching, Xville’s post is genius.

Using some of your facts, I think we can give teachers a huge raise if we stop illegal immigration.

Now comes my Xavier math using some of your numbers.
    - 4% of 77 million is 3.08 million illegal children a year attending public schools (3.9% seems like the most consistent number I found for K-12).
    - There are roughly 3.2 million public teachers in this country
    - It costs on average, $11,700 a year (this does not include what the districts have to spend extra to accommodate none English speaking students) to educate a child from public schools in the US (note: average is a lot more in the migrant states such as California and New York)
    - 3.08 million immigrant children vs 3.2 million teachers in US seems like a push on estimated numbers.
    - To Xille’s point, we can give teachers roughly a $11,700 raise a year and receive $141,000 more in salary over 13 years (K-12 equivalent teaching time) without the influx of immigrant children.

As a side note, I think Pryor vs Doe was the right decision from the Supreme Court. Once immigrant children reside in our country illegally, it’s our moral duty to educate and take care of them.

I still don’t understand why we can’t secure the border with whatever ever means necessary while continue to allow those seeking legal political asylum into this country.