View Poll Results: Should we have a Wall?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 56.41%
  • No

    17 43.59%
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 201

Thread: The Wall

  1. #51
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    14,288
    Thanks. Wasn't offering "excuses."
    WIC is primarily for at risk women/babies and you must prove residency.
    Not sure that them getting an education is "ruining" it for the rest of us. But maybe.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  2. #52
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    12,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Wic, er medical care, education are a few. Depending on what state they reside in, could receive more.

    Jobs I dont care...they want to live here, work here, pay into the system and are on the road to beiglng citizens...all good. Wish they would go thru the system and come here legally, then do all those things but there is worse things in the world. My grandfather and a few brothers came over here legally at an extremely young age when italy was in a state of turmoil, but came over legally so spare me the excuses.
    The my family came here legally statement is always so funny to me. 1. How do you really know? 2. The immigration laws were so vastly difference/nonexistent back then its not even fair to compare immigration of one's ancestors to immigration today. 3. Many of our ancestors entered illegally (or at a time where there were no regulations) but were later granted permanent residence because it was such a problem:

    "Acknowledging the large numbers of Europeans in the United States without proper authorization, the government devised ways for them to remain in the country legally. The 1929 Registry Act allowed “honest law-abiding alien[s] who may be in the country under some merely technical irregularity” to register as permanent residents for a fee of $20 if they could prove they had lived in the country since 1921 and were of “good moral character.”"
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  3. #53
    Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,004
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Thanks. Wasn't offering "excuses."
    WIC is primarily for at risk women/babies and you must prove residency.
    Not sure that them getting an education is "ruining" it for the rest of us. But maybe.
    Not hard to fake residency or live on someone's couch.

    If you aren't paying taxes but yet are attending public school, that's an issue.

    Er care is a huge issue.

    Where are those 3 million illegal immigrants that aren't working? I think that's an issue

  4. #54
    Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,004
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    The my family came here legally statement is always so funny to me. 1. How do you really know? 2. The immigration laws were so vastly difference/nonexistent back then its not even fair to compare immigration of one's ancestors to immigration today. 3. Many of our ancestors entered illegally (or at a time where there were no regulations) but were later granted permanent residence because it was such a problem:

    "Acknowledging the large numbers of Europeans in the United States without proper authorization, the government devised ways for them to remain in the country legally. The 1929 Registry Act allowed “honest law-abiding alien[s] who may be in the country under some merely technical irregularity” to register as permanent residents for a fee of $20 if they could prove they had lived in the country since 1921 and were of “good moral character.”"
    Well I do know because he did.

    2. Back then whatever laws were on the books were followed, just as they should be today. Ones that weren't followed were sent back to country of origin. Yes numbers sent back were much lower back then but it still occurred.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Wic, er medical care, education are a few. Depending on what state they reside in, could receive more.

    Jobs I dont care...they want to live here, work here, pay into the system and are on the road to beiglng citizens...all good. Wish they would go thru the system and come here legally, then do all those things but there is worse things in the world. My grandfather and a few brothers came over here legally at an extremely young age when italy was in a state of turmoil, but came over legally so spare me the excuses.
    You are a prime example of people who just don't get it. You think the system is easy and everyone who wanted to work here legally could just do it. Ask yourself whether an illegal would rather come here that way, risk imprisonment, and deportation or come here legally with zero worry. Obviously, they would rather have zero worry.

    Once you get that, it should be clear that the current system isn't set up to provide an alien work force it is set up to prevent one. The result is what you see which are people who roll over the border illegally because it's their only option. FYI there XVille, the same NY Times says that close to 75% of illegals here in the US are actually employed. Close to three out of four here are gainfully employed, that participation rate is absolutely insane.

    Instead of building a stupid multi-billion dollar wall, why don't we make them legal and start drawing PR taxes from the employers and employees? Business owners who like the deal they have hate this idea because it will cost them money and the penalty for hiring an illegal is virtually zero for the employer. They get almost all the benefits with zero risk.

    But hey, let's toss up a wall to fix the supply of illegals problem.

  6. #56
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    14,288
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  7. #57
    It is a tad ironic, irony about 400 years in the making.

  8. #58
    Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,004
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    You are a prime example of people who just don't get it. You think the system is easy and everyone who wanted to work here legally could just do it. Ask yourself whether an illegal would rather come here that way, risk imprisonment, and deportation or come here legally with zero worry. Obviously, they would rather have zero worry.

    Once you get that, it should be clear that the current system isn't set up to provide an alien work force it is set up to prevent one. The result is what you see which are people who roll over the border illegally because it's their only option. FYI there XVille, the same NY Times says that close to 75% of illegals here in the US are actually employed. Close to three out of four here are gainfully employed, that participation rate is absolutely insane.

    Instead of building a stupid multi-billion dollar wall, why don't we make them legal and start drawing PR taxes from the employers and employees? Business owners who like the deal they have hate this idea because it will cost them money and the penalty for hiring an illegal is virtually zero for the employer. They get almost all the benefits with zero risk.

    But hey, let's toss up a wall to fix the supply of illegals problem.
    Did I say it was easy? Of course it's not, but it shouldn't be easy. People need to be vetted. 25% of illegals coming here and not working we can argue whether that's an issue or not, I think it is because they shouldn't be here anyways.

    Your third paragraph is a bunch of baloney. Just make them legal huh? You think that is easy? So, everyone that crosses the border just give them a job and make them legal?

    Btw your main argument against the wall isthat it wont fix the problem because illegals come here due to jobs and they will find a way. what about the 3 million who are here that dont work? If we fix the demand for jobs issue will those 3 million just not become 4 or 5 million?
    Last edited by Xville; 01-09-2019 at 03:49 PM.

  9. #59
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    26,667
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I think this cartoon actually supports Trump's POV on the wall.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Did I say it was easy? Of course it's not, but it shouldn't be easy. People need to be vetted. 25% of illegals coming here and not working we can argue whether that's an issue or not, I think it is because they shouldn't be here anyways.

    Your third paragraph is a bunch of baloney. Just make them legal huh? You think that is easy? So, everyone that crosses the border just give them a job and make them legal?

    Btw your main argument against the wall isthat it wont fix the problem because illegals come here due to jobs and they will find a way. what about the 3 million who are here that dont work? If we fix the demand for jobs issue will those 3 million just not become 4 or 5 million?
    Seriously ask yourself who you think those other 3M people are? Stop and really think about it, many come here to work, make the money, and they return home to their families. The 3M that are unemployed are most likely the employed's children/spouse for those that take their whole family here with them. Do you expect a stay at home mother to be employed? What about their kids?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •