Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post

Also, I am sorry for being pessimistic, but why is everyone so convinced next year will be better? Our returners still won’t be able to defend. We lose our only consistent shooting threat, which means we’ll be relying on a freshman or grad transfer...

I want this to be a one year hiatus more than anyone, but I just can’t objectively see it.
    Xavier’s problem right now is not defense...it’s lack of offense and a short bench that doesn’t allow a good rotation.

At lest 2 of the freshman coming in...Tandy and Bishop...CAN shoot. If the others can give some minutes that allow Jones and Naji to get some rest the team should be a lot better next year. It won’t be an immediate improvement, but at least there will be some building blocks and options that this year’s team does not have.

Sophomore
    Part of the defensive problem is that we have no depth. Our three primary guard's/wings basically never come out

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Xavier’s problem right now is not defense...it’s lack of offense and a short bench that doesn’t allow a good rotation.

At lest 2 of the freshman coming in...Tandy and Bishop...CAN shoot.
    Kennedy and Harden "can shoot." I'm not exactly counting on frosh to make a dramatic improvement next year. It's gonna be better (has to be), but some of the impact of the frosh and development (?) of the returning guys will be offset by losing Hankins/Welage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Jesus, this is depressing. I'm very close here to slitting my wrists.
    Do yourself a favor... Bet against X and make yourself some green... Will take some of the sting away

Lighten up Francis. :)

Welp, don't do that, obviously, but one can only go by what they see...and what we see is pretty damn bad....and not getting better.
    That being said, I'll be back at the House of Cin on Sunday at noon. I also just made my hotel reservation in DC for the Georgetown game on January 31.
    Just because we don't like the reality doesn't mean we jump ship.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    I think we should use DePaul as an example(this year) of how to deal with the situation. The lost to Northwestern and Boston College (2 quality teams) with horrendous end of game play, then to Xavier(which we like), the were up double digits to a weakened Villanova and Booth willed the win..I was not sure of his NBA potential but he disabused me. They were AT Villanova. I watched the end of X and Villanova, and saw disappointment but good body language, and I saw them hold on to beat Seton Hall and was very glad for Cain, Struss, Butz and company and they embraced the win in front of home crowd. That is the way we have to look at it now..we are not the favorites but have to play hard, keep good body language and see what happens. There will be entertaining games going forward so lets enjoy them. From Conn I will go to Providence and maybe NY or NJ with my X Basketball hoodie. I went back to 2017 to see what Q did in tournament and he averaged 6 pos and 5 asst and 3 rebounds. I was surprised to find that Rui Hachamora had a 3 in garbage time at the end of our game..forrgot about it.
    Last edited by whopper; 01-08-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    But I’m convinced that a good assistant staff is underrated. Pegues made our bigs better for example. Seems like Travis made selections based on recruiting more than on court coaching because I see zero player advancement & arguably guys are worse.#Reality
    Looking at body language alone I think 3-4 guys wish the season was already over. Player development goes both ways- the biggest leaps coming from work put in over the summer. I don't think its fair to put it all on the coaching staff at this point.

I would be fine if Travis wanted assistants that were better at recruiting than developing. I'd rather land 4 stars then hope to develop the hell out of 3 stars. Simply put- the more talent brought in the higher chance at success.

We suck, this season sucks, this team sucks

Watching each game this year is like taking a direct kick to the nuts weekly

Sophomore
    Couldn't find a perfect thread for this, but it only seems fitting to place this here...

Three guys that Xavier was heavily involved with in the 2018 class are getting 'mocked' in the first round by ESPN:

Jaxson Hayes at 14. (averaging 10/5 and 2.5 blocks)
    Talen Horton-Tucker at 24. (13/5/3)
    Ayo Dosunmu at 25. (13/4.5/3)

These were all guys who were seriously linked to X late into the recruiting cycle. If X were to have gotten any one of them (even Hayes, alone, I think), this season could have already been off to a different start.