Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beatuc View Post
    This is exactly how I feel, great group of recruiters and not much development and in-game coaching going on.
    Serious question - can someone highlight some examples of strong in game development and coaching Mack’s early staff put together? I think every fan base calls for the “experienced bench coach assistant” at some point early in a new HC’s tenure.

Frankly I’m not sure it’s possible to make a direct comparison when you consider the talent and competition gap between Mack’s first team and Steele’s.

Mack benched Jordan Crawford at some point (UC game) and let him know who was boss. A move that was completely necessary at that point of his tenure and certainly spurred the team forward.

Of course, it could have completely blown up in Mack's face and ruined the season.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Mack benched Jordan Crawford at some point (UC game) and let him know who was boss. A move that was completely necessary at that point of his tenure and certainly spurred the team forward.

Of course, it could have completely blown up in Mack's face and ruined the season.
    Good point, although I’d note Crawford still ended up playing 38 minutes (game went to 2OT) and got up 16 shots that game.

Mack also tweaked the offense to have Crawford running the baseline to catch the ball on the wing (as opposed to initiating with the beloved weave). But again, a lot easier to look smart when you have arguably the best bucket getter in school history and Duquesne on the schedule twice.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Serious question - can someone highlight some examples of strong in game development and coaching Mack’s early staff put together? I think every fan base calls for the “experienced bench coach assistant” at some point early in a new HC’s tenure.

Frankly I’m not sure it’s possible to make a direct comparison when you consider the talent and competition gap between Mack’s first team and Steele’s.
    The example I would give you is how he managed a selfish and borderline awful Jordan Crawford in Orlando at the early season tournament. Jordan went 4 for 20 (felt worse) in the opening loss to Marquette, if you recall. The next game, against Creighton, he was 8 of 12 and played more under control. Against Baylor, he was forcing it frequently and ended up 6 of 19. Next game out, after Chris talked about "selfish play" in the post-game Baylor presser, Jordan had a very efficient game against Kent State, and the team played much better from that point forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    The example I would give you is how he managed a selfish and borderline awful Jordan Crawford in Orlando at the early season tournament. Jordan went 4 for 20 (felt worse) in the opening loss to Marquette, if you recall. The next game, against Creighton, he was 8 of 12 and played more under control. Against Baylor, he was forcing it frequently and ended up 6 of 19. Next game out, after Chris talked about "selfish play" in the post-game Baylor presser, Jordan had a very efficient game against Kent State, and the team played much better from that point forward.
    I mean, I think Mack is an awesome coach who will be winning games for a long time, but how much of this is just “Jordan Crawford is a generational scorer.” In any event, I’m more curious about people’s takes on the assistants, which seemed to be the direction this thread was going.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I mean, I think Mack is an awesome coach who will be winning games for a long time, but how much of this is just “Jordan Crawford is a generational scorer.”
    The point was Jordan was AWFUL that first game, was called out and coached, was way better the next game (in terms of flow of offense and shot selection), when he tried to do too much in the 2nd half of the Baylor game, Chris called it out, coached it, and when they got home Jordan was better.

Yes, however, he for sure was a "generational scorer", but that wasn't my point. Chris didn't let him do whatever he wanted, that was my bigger point.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    The point was Jordan was AWFUL that first game, was called out and coached, was way better the next game (in terms of flow of offense and shot selection), when he tried to do too much in the 2nd half of the Baylor game, Chris called it out, coached it, and when they got home Jordan was better.

Yes, however, he for sure was a "generational scorer", but that wasn't my point. Chris didn't let him do whatever he wanted, that was my bigger point.
    And then over the next few weeks he backslid enough to be benched again in UC game. I understand your point, I just think it’s an oversimplification. Crawford was amazing but I don’t exactly think he was really reigned in by Mack.

Jordan had a lot of awful moments. He could have been a complete cancer, but I think Mack did a pretty great job of managing that team and personality.

Crawford's three game NCAA Tournament run may be the best three game run in school history.

Need Georgetown to lose to Nova and X to beat Creighton tomorrow and we're back within a half game of 3rd with home games is DePaul and Creighton coming up.

I say we need three road wins in conference - Creighton and Butler are most likely - to complete for a Crappy 8 title.

Quote Originally Posted by fellahmuskie View Post
    Need Georgetown to lose to Nova and X to beat Creighton tomorrow and we're back within a half game of 3rd with home games is DePaul and Creighton coming up.

I say we need three road wins in conference - Creighton and Butler are most likely - to complete for a Crappy 8 title.
    The notion that we have to root for a team to LOSE to Villanova, on its face, indicates a sad state of affairs.

The justification that it might get us within a half game of 3rd place...

Is it to early to start drinking....again?
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.