Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    I think they almost must use 2 bigs because GT does that a lot in the games I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    I think its dumb to play the what if game. It certainly plays for and against a program. You can insert anything you want.
    What if Ed Pinkney had come to Xavier?
    What if TJ Johnson's layup goes in against UMass?
    What if Pete Gillen doesn't leave?
    What if David West hired an agent after his sophomore year?
    What if Tim Chadwell hadn't seen Brian Grant in Georgetown OH?
    What if Drew Lavender didn't leave Oklahoma?
    What if Justin Cage gets the intentional foul call against OSU?
    What if Aaron Williams tip follow doesn't go in against Georgetown?
    What if Kenny Frease lived up to his potential?
    What if Anthony Myles doesn't foul out against Duke?
    What if the referees had made the correct call on this play that was CLEARLY a foul?? We're playing either Western Kentucky or Texas A&M in the Elite Eight, and I think we would have crushed either one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW5QT70DHhI
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Understand your point. This whole thread is making me cry.
    This is the correct answer
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

I know one thing.
    Xavier had better win BOTH these home games this week. If we lose one or both it's a loong season ending slog to infamy.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Interesting from presser today from Steele

- They may use two bigs in game at same time vs Georgetown.
    - Q hasn’t practiced since game on Sunday because of knee.
    Hmmm. Setting up the "Mick Game" by arranging an excuse already?

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Looking at body language alone I think 3-4 guys wish the season was already over. Player development goes both ways- the biggest leaps coming from work put in over the summer. I don't think its fair to put it all on the coaching staff at this point.

I would be fine if Travis wanted assistants that were better at recruiting than developing. I'd rather land 4 stars then hope to develop the hell out of 3 stars. Simply put- the more talent brought in the higher chance at success.
    I hear ya, but all I saw ALL summer, were Instagrams from Q, Naji & Harden showing that they were in the gym, at 7:00am, 11:00am, 2 pm, 6 pm, 10 pm...whatever. I don't know if they had no place else to go, but it seems that they tried to put work in?

One thing that stuck in my head was reading Scruggs was working in the gym with a clear focus to improve his 3 point shooting... which he did.

Maybe if Q and Naji had followed his lead with the 3 point shooting, we would see better 3s from those two and maybe it would have lead to 4+ additional wins.

Now Jones had a clear goal to get leaner and improve his endurance... which he has achieved. But just maybe a top goal should have been to get better at defending without not fouling or to get 10+ rebounds a game... or even to work extra every day on improving his foul shooting technique/%.

Still, it is not too late. No, the team does not have quite the same level or depth of talent as last season, but it does have enough talent to play much better and win a lot of games in the process.

If the players and coaches are brutally honest about their shortcomings and can even make a little progress from here on out, they might surprise themselves. Five smarter passes. Seven more rebounds by boxing out bettr on defense so opponents don’t get all of those second and third chances. 2 more open looks for each Wealage, Scruggs and Harden... and anything could happen.

Freshman
    It sucks to suck at 3's which we still do even after GTown win. We get some 3's the old fashioned way being fouled on made layups - but even then you need to make the shot & the free throw. One goal under all our coaches the past 30 yrs is to make more FT than the other team attempts. We're close having made 243 to opponents 271 attempts. We need to keep driving to the hole & piling up fouls on the opponents. Teams jacking up 25 or so 3's a game usually don't get to the foul line as much since they don't take it to the hole as much. SNot all suck at 3's. Scruggs at 43%. Welage 42%. Harden 38%. Q, Naji, Castlin, Kennedy I think all under 25%. Kudos on the 4 turnover effort vs GTown & the 17-0 run we went on was fabulous. When Naji made steal to end half he might have outran Usain Bolt to the basket. We might suck at 3's all year, but the team can win quite a few on heart & hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I know one thing.
    Xavier had better win BOTH these home games this week. If we lose one or both it's a loong season ending slog to infamy.
    Well, they did it and now the season and this team have made things interesting again. Oh, if they could now just take it up another notch with better 3 point shooting.

Great to see the coach and players stepping up and responding.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-15-2019 at 12:32 AM.

6 more home games and 7 road games.
    It will be very very tough especially with no bench and no outside shooting.

Looks like X will survive making freethrows and fouling opponents out.

Playing better defense (A LOT) compared to last year. We shall see. 9 BE wins? 10? I hope