Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I think Marquette it ended up being right at 8 if I remember correctly. I think Nova will be right around there...maybe up to 10. The reason we are 1-9 ATS against Nova is because Mack had an awful gameplan that he refused to adjust against Villanova. I don't believe Steele will do the same thing.

I think the only way we arent in this game is if Q and/or Naji shoot us out of it.
    I think blaming Mack for failure against Nova is a bit of a reach. Sometimes you just have to give credit where it’s due and in this case it’s the guy in a fancy suit holding 2 trophies...

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I think blaming Mack for failure against Nova is a bit of a reach. Sometimes you just have to give credit where it’s due and in this case it’s the guy in a fancy suit holding 2 trophies...
    I don't blame Mack for losing, I blame him for X getting their ass handed to them by Nova more often times than not. Playing a packline defense and a 1-3-1 zone against a team that shoots lights out is beyond stupid.

Steele's d philosophy certainly still has packline elements, and the defense has certainly struggled on the perimeter, but I feel better having the faith that Steele will make in game adjustments if it is warranted.
    Last edited by Xville; 01-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.

By,
    still has packline elements
    do you mean it is the packline?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    I'd say you're at least 5 points off...and maybe more.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Wish I had a mulligan on that guess to be honest.
    Run the table.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    By, do you mean it is the packline?
    I guess I should have said elements of Mack's packline. I have watched Virginia a few times and again last night, and their packline is much different than what I have seen Mack's defenses do...

1.) Virginia's actually works....that of course may be to personnel but

2.) schematically when an offensive player gets the ball on the wing, the defensive pressure on the ball carrier is intense. Mack's teams instead tend to sag of, still clogging lanes.

There are different elements to the packline.

Quote Originally Posted by XUOHTX View Post
    This season is a callus.
    This season is a repetitive stress injury.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

I guess I should have said elements of Mack's packline. I have watched Virginia a few times and again last night, and their packline is much different than what I have seen Mack's defenses do...

1.) Virginia's actually works....that of course may be to personnel but

2.) schematically when an offensive player gets the ball on the wing, the defensive pressure on the ball carrier is intense. Mack's teams instead tend to sag of, still clogging lanes.

There are different elements to the packline.
    I haven't seen any substantial difference between Steele and Mack's approach to the packline. Maybe the only defensive difference overall has been Steele seems more willing to mix it up. Mack really only seemed to switch out of packline when we were desperate.

I think Marquette it ended up being right at 8 if I remember correctly. I think Nova will be right around there...maybe up to 10. The reason we are 1-9 ATS against Nova is because Mack had an awful gameplan that he refused to adjust against Villanova. I don't believe Steele will do the same thing.

I think the only way we arent in this game is if Q and/or Naji shoot us out of it.
    You think Vegas knows this? I’ve said Vegas is voodoo...but if the line is 8-10 based on your rationale and X keeps it close due to a first year coach’s adjustments...then I’ll probably quit gambling. That would be next level voodoo.

I don't blame Mack for losing, I blame him for X getting their ass handed to them by Nova more often times than not. Playing a packline defense and a 1-3-1 zone against a team that shoots lights out is beyond stupid.

Steele's d philosophy certainly still has packline elements, and the defense has certainly struggled on the perimeter, but I feel better having the faith that Steele will make in game adjustments if it is warranted.
    Since the new big east has formed, Nova is 125-73-1 ATS (63% cover rate!). That is #1 in covers since that time nationally. Second is Michigan st with 110-81-5.

Xavier is 8th at 102-86-4. That includes this year which has been not great for X (6-10-2).

At some point you just have to say Jay Wright is a boss and he has more talent .... and Mack was not that bad of a coach.

Freshman
    As of Wed Jan 16 we are 3-2 in BE play. In sole possession of 3rd place in a 10 team league. 3rd out of 10 don't suck at the moment