Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Defensive switches are part of the game. X won 35 minutes of that game, but 5 minutes of lazy hero ball and no defense cost them the win. This is where the staff teaches the team what it takes to pull these games out.
    Yeah splitting hairs I think........but how many run out dunks did they have after bad shots and TO's ? That doesn't get chalked up to bad D......

Junior
    I've always been a fan of the Belichek system: take away the other teams best weapon, and if the rest of them beat you, so be it. Plus, if Q spends all his energy on d, he'll be too tired to take those shitty shots he's so fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I've always been a fan of the Belichek system: take away the other teams best weapon, and if the rest of them beat you, so be it. Plus, if Q spends all his energy on d, he'll be too tired to take those shitty shots he's so fond of.
    Aside from the fact that football is a completely different sport that isn’t comparable at all to basketball, I think you’re forgetting how this interacts with literally every other team’s “our best weapon is really good and we’re going to get him going no matter what” approach.

Or do you not remember watching Trevon Bluiett the past four seasons? Good offense beats good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Two games into the conference season Xavier's biggest issue is: Depth. For all the posts I see saying sit this person or this person is playing too many minutes, my response is: Sit them and play who else exactly? This team's major impediment this season: replacing 60% of prior team's scoring cannot be solved. The up and down recruiting of the last administration has left the team with virtually no serviceable depth to spell the starters for any significant period of time.
    Agree. You could divide depth in half - depth on the bench and depth of three point shooting.

Sophomore
    true and you have to define "something"..It is not the Number 1 seed of last year or the 2 seed of 3 years ago. The elite 8 run team needed Tre's basket against Butler at MSG to keep us from the NIT. Maybe this year the goal is to straighten things out so they can get an NIT bid after winning Wednesday and (maybe)Thursday at MSG. I am sure we would take that now in a heartbeat. You can't give up, and public finger pointing does not work in college as you can't trade someone. I will watch and see what happens and hope Q and Naji (last week big east player of week) play smarter and Tyrique finds a way to complement Hankins the same way Hankins found his way. I hope Welage is used better(he did not look THAT bad on defense/rebounding last night), Castlin can spell as necessary and Kennedy/Harden find their 5 min of hustle relief, tips and a 3 pt threat. Rose colored glasses I know but I don't think everyone has forgotten how to play

Quote Originally Posted by klark View Post
    I agree with most everything said, but I think there is a disturbing drop off in Naji's stats this year as he has played more minutes and been the focus of opposing teams defense:

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    2018-19 XAV 34.1 4.4-10.6 .412 0.9-4.1 .224 2.9-4.1 .707 8.0 3.4 0.3 1.1 2.5 3.5 12.6
    2017-18 XAV 21.8 2.7-5.2 .530 0.4-1.2 .349 1.8-2.4 .753 4.4 1.6 0.3 0.7 1.7 1.6 7.7

If you look at individual games you will see any game he plays more than 34 minutes, outside of the Wisconsin game, his stats are terrible. Q, Scruggs, and Naji are now the focal point of this teams offense and do not look like they have embraced it.
    Naji’s stats are indeed terrible. He is ceiling was so much higher than last year and as you pointed out, he is playing much worse this year.

Scruggs seems to be embracing his role as one of the focal points alright. That is the strange thing. It’s Almost like he really focused on the areas that would make him a more versatile and valuable player (like his 3 point shooting) whereas Naji and Q unfortunately were content with there game (not concerned with improving other parts of their game. Steele said Naji really worked on his 3 point shooting over the summer. I didn’t hear that about Naji or Q.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Most here are focused on the same basic thing: FOCUS / INTENSITY / INTELLIGENT PLAY OVER ALL 40 MINUTES.

We all saw the same thing unfold last night. A strong performance through the first half, combined with a major push in positive momentum to position for a win in the second half after 2 made back-to-back 3's, only to witness some of the dumbest basketball possible thereafter.

I have to imagine Steele has them in the film room with a lot of "what were you "thinking" when you did this" going on.

What is that saying: slow down a little and let the game come to you. We're not there yet. BUT, if we ever get there, assuming that disposition holds for 40 minutes across the active roster, these guys could actually accomplish something.
    Yes... this is it in a nutshell... AND YET... how is it not sinking in.

Actually, I differ on one thought... for me... I have to imagine Steele DOES NOT have them in a film room asking “What were you thinking” because these bonehead, brainless stretches happen again and again and again and again. I have to imagine Steele was not telling his players yesterday during the TO (when they are up by 10)... “Okay guys... make sure we play smart... work it around for something easy... No 3 point shots unless Scruggs or Wealage are wide open and make sure you are crashing the boards.”

I completely agree with your final point about this team actually accomplishing someplaying if they play smart ans let the game come to them for 40 minutes. It is not like X can not hang with BE opponents. No it is clear X proved they can play with any BE opponent and beat them if they in fact get their act together and do not remain their own worst enemy by doing so many dumb things that cause them games. It is on Steele, in my opinion, to make that happen. I wish he would quit with all of this overpraising of his players- like he is afraid to hurt their feelings.

I wish Steele would grow some balls and say, “We blew it as coaches and players. We are all much better than our performance right now and we all need to wake the hell up and play Xavier basketball with pride and tenacity and just win.”
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-03-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Naji’s stats are indeed terrible. He is ceiling was so much higher than last year and as you pointed out, he is playing much worse this year.

Scruggs seems to be embracing his role as one of the focal points alright. That is the strange thing. It’s Almost like he really focused on the areas that would make him a more versatile and valuable player (like his 3 point shooting) whereas Naji and Q unfortunately were content with there game (not concerned with improving other parts of their game. Steele said Naji really worked on his 3 point shooting over the summer. I didn’t hear that about Naji or Q.
    Naji is the reigning Big East player of the week. He played like a man possessed against DePaul. Pissed b/c he missed a game b/c of his (cough/cough) "injury".

Overall, I think Naji has played "ok". Still getting used to being one the focal points of the offense instead of the sidekick he was last year.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Aside from the fact that football is a completely different sport that isn’t comparable at all to basketball, I think you’re forgetting how this interacts with literally every other team’s “our best weapon is really good and we’re going to get him going no matter what” approach.

Or do you not remember watching Trevon Bluiett the past four seasons? Good offense beats good defense.

I don't believe that is true. Most college teams don't play really good defense. And, most teams don't focus on defense because most college teams are made up of 3-4-5 star players got those ratings because of their offensive production. If you are that guy that switches off, covering for a teammate who switched off to cover for a teammate who's helped another teammate by cutting off the baseline, and you force a fourth pass and bad shot at end of clock, there's no glory in that. It is great basketball but you aren't celebrated in the same manner as when you get a thunderous dunk as a result of an easy pass or if you drain a wide open three. Consequently, you don't see really tough as nails defense. And, I would add, tough help defense for the full shot clock takes tremendous effort that makes you less effective on the offensive end. And, with no bench, playing really hard defense takes everything you've got. Our players, for the most part, didn't get to X because they were great defensive players. And, it is tough (although not impossible) to teach them at this point in their careers.

I know Mick Cronin is probably the least popular name on this board. But, U.C. seldom has really strong shooters or scorers and they get twenty wins every year. I heard one of the U.C. Asst. coaches talk about their most important metric and I thought it was very interesting. He said they tell the team to get forty DEFLECTIONS per game and if they do, U.C. will regardless of anything else. Deflections in this context are not turnovers. A deflection is touching the ball when the other team is on offense regardless of whether or not you cause a turnover.

All that said, I think it is way too late to try and turn X into a defensive juggernaut. But, my point is there are different ways to win and you don't have to have a Blueitt and Macura on the team to do it. But that ship has sailed for this year.

I reiterate my thought that this team will likely win less than six games in the B.E. If they win 7-8, I'm ecstatic and Steele gets my vote for Coach of the Year. The leadership isn't there; the coaching isn't there. I'd like Steele to play Kennedy, James and Hardin more. This is not a rebuilding year----it is a bridge year to the rebuilding that must occur next year. If we get through this year, Steele will be a better coach (like his mentor, he doesn't seem to be able to adjust well in mid game) and the players will be better for the experience---if they get that experience via playing time. To me, it is senseless to have Castlin on the floor when we have three younger players who need experience. and, we need to find out if they can play. I can't give up on any of them until I see much more.

But, I also think this is a bit of a dangerous year. Every program has down years but one down year can easily lead to two down years and two down years leads even more easily to three down years. It doesn't have to go on too long before we become a DePaul and then it is so hard to turn things around. I'm not predicting that (certainly don't desire it either) but just pointing out how thin is the ice on which we walk.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Naji is the reigning Big East player of the week. He played like a man possessed against DePaul. Pissed b/c he missed a game b/c of his (cough/cough) "injury".

Overall, I think Naji has played "ok". Still getting used to being one the focal points of the offense instead of the sidekick he was last year.

Yes. he did have a really nice game against DePaul and certainly deserves credit. If we look deeper at that game, I think it’s fair to say he played more of the kind of basketball his teammates need from him.

He crashed the boards (had twice as many rebounds as he did in the SH game and he had 2 offensive rebounds versus 0 against SH) and he found a way to get to the foul line more often 8 attempts versus 4 against SH). He even made 2 of 4 3s... you almost have to wonder if his playing hard to get those rebounds and getting to the line gave him more confidence when he shot his threes.