Here are the stats for Ryan Wellage through 14 games:

From 3 point range:

Game 1 (1 game)
    6-13 for 46%

Games 2 through 6 (5 games)
    6-21 for 29%

Games 7 through 14 (8 games)
    22-43 for 51%

I am working on a theory that I would like Jimmy Chitwood to shoot the ball as much as humanly possible. I would like to advise our other players that they should get the ball to Jimmy Chitwood in rhythm when possible. Whether in transition or in the half court, we need to constantly focus on getting Jimmy the ball.

While some may want to focus on inadequacy, I would like to focus on adequacy. Jimmy Chitwood has a serious adequacy is shooting the basketball. This team seems to be on a trend that is warming to that adequacy.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

44% is pretty darn good.

Agreed, the kid needs to play 25-30 MPG

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    44% is pretty darn good.

Agreed, the kid needs to play 25-30 MPG
    Or more.

Do his defensive metrics allow for 30 minutes per game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Do his defensive metrics allow for 30 minutes per game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No, but this team has no other options at this point. He gives us exactly what this team desperately needs, a consistent outside threat who can knock down shots.

We should run him off the double picket fence.

(Even though he looks like he’s doing it wrong.)

Junior
    Kyle Korver and Doug McDermott can't guard a lamp post, but they knock down 3s and spread the floor. The positive outweighs the negative. Steele, open your eyes, play Welage and give him the green light.

Count me in as being onboard with more 3 attempts for RW.

Scruggs is shooting from 3 quite well too. Also above 40%

I think it was obvious from the start who should be shooting more 3s and who shouldn’t from the begining. At the beginning of the year Steele specifically mentioned Scruggs being much improved and the need to get the ball to Ryan... but somehow Q and Naji (both shooting below 30%) didn’t get the memo.

Not exactly hard to understand the better strategy is “Players who shoot best from 3 should be shooting more 3s. Players who are better at driving and drawing contact should be doing that more often.

In case anyone is wondering: Q and Marshall have both shot quite a few more 3s than Scruggs thus far this season - Bad strategy.

Let’s get that fixed coach.

Supporting Member
    The Welage question depends on the opponent. He has a good skill on offense that works best with certain opponents and defensive deficiencies that can be exploited heavily by others. DePaul may be the best situation - slow, does not close out well, style of defense, players he can be matched up against. SHU may also be good. By contrast SJU could be a nightmare - fast, athletic, quick hands, close out well, 5 out style, stretch 4 and wings such as Clark and Simon and Heron (which one does he guard and defend screens or dribble drives from near the 3-point line?). Marquette is probably also a problem. Which of the Hausers do you want him to guard and to try to get open 3s against?

I have been saying for a while that Welage needs to shoot more. I'm not sure if TS is telling him to and he isn't - it does seem to me that Ryan himself seems to have a lot more opportunities than he is taking. My guess is that coaches are telling him to shoot and he is reluctant at times.

My caveat is that he needs to to pump fake and drive enough to slow the closeouts just a tad. He doesn't seem to have the quickest release and needs to be set a certain way which takes time.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.