Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    Castlin is a nice person to stabilize the team, gets a rebound, blocked a shot..I like him at guard with Scruggs at the 2 and I think he plays well with Welage and Hankins(they seem to be somewhat bonded...maybe on same practice team). All the transfers have done exactly what we have asked.
    Yep. I really like Castlin for making the right play at the right time for the team but not trying to take over. He is the definition of a good glue guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I thought Goodin really only took two bad three's. His other attempts were good shots that DePaul was giving him, he just didn't knock them down.
    Agreed. Overall I think Goodin is a solid shooter on in-rhythm threes and the percentages will balance out in the end. I don't mind four or five of his attempts. Two or three of them were low-percentage shots that were unlikely to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Agreed. Overall I think Goodin is a solid shooter on in-rhythm threes and the percentages will balance out in the end. I don't mind four or five of his attempts. Two or three of them were low-percentage shots that were unlikely to go in.

I'm going to disagree. He's shooting 28%. If it "balances out" to last year (30%) or the year before (25%), we're in trouble.
    The 1-7 or 1-8 games are not helping. Much better to drive/score/draw foul...or ideally draw a wing defender into the paint and kick it out to Welage or Scruggs.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Hmm...almost makes you wonder if there's a reason every team in the entire sport has adapted in one way or another to spacing the floor with shooting and recognizing the value of the 3-point shot over low efficiency offensive plays like post-ups?

Take a look at the D1 teams who take the fewest 3's - not exactly elite company for the most part.

I'm just saying Xavier's starting PG should continue to shoot rhythm 3's that are in the flow of the offense - doesn't seem too crazy to me.
    Yes, prior to the revolution of spacing and saber metrics, who could have ever imagined that Xavier and DePaul would play to an eye-popping score like 73-64?

I agree that any starting PG needs to at least take the occasional 3 to keep the defense honest. But the desired efficiency of saber metrics is only accomplished by players who can function in that capacity. You have to coach and play to your strengths, and 3-point shooting isn’t ours. Somehow we have to maximize the output of our strengths and force opponents to adapt to what we do best. If you don’t do something as well as your opponent(s), The last thing you do is try to emulate what they do better than you, or you will lose.
    Last edited by XUBison; 12-29-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Get used to it. Don't think we'll be favored against any BE team this season.
    The negativity is out of hand people....can we steer clear of obvious nonsense please.
    There are other Big East teams we can beat!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401083160
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-29-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Yes, prior to the revolution of spacing and saber metrics, who could have ever imagined that Xavier and DePaul would play to an eye-popping score like 73-64?

I agree that any starting PG needs to at least take the occasional 3 to keep the defense honest. But the desired efficiency of saber metrics is only accomplished by players who can function in that capacity. You have to coach and play to your strengths, and 3-point shooting isn’t ours. Somehow we have to maximize the output of our strengths and force opponents to adapt to what we do best. If you don’t do something as well as your opponent(s), The last thing you do is try to emulate what they do better than you, or you will lose.
    Half of D1 attempts threes at a higher rate than Xavier and half of D1 makes threes at a higher rate than Xavier. Those match up nicely. It sounds like the offense may be adjusted for the personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    The negativity is out of hand people....can we stay clear of obvious nonsense please.
    There are other Big East teams we can beat!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401083160
    Yes, the fact is that the BE as a whole is just not that good this year. Xavier is certainly not what they were last year, but then it appears that no other BE tieam is either. I’m certainly not overconfident that X will either win the majority of its remaining games or the league championship, but I am confident that they will win some games.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm going to disagree. He's shooting 28%. If it "balances out" to last year (30%) or the year before (25%), we're in trouble.
    The 1-7 or 1-8 games are not helping. Much better to drive/score/draw foul...or ideally draw a wing defender into the paint and kick it out to Welage or Scruggs.
    I see your point, but remember, Goodin has shot a lot of bad threes this year (and some bailout shots at the end of the shot clock). He had a couple in this game and he had quite a few in the first few games of the season before he settled down. Despite that, he's still shooting 27.0% overall on the season, which means he's easily shooting in the 30s on the open in-rhythm shots that we're talking about.

Concerning previous seasons, he simply wasn't a good shooter as a freshman. He wasn't abysmal but he was moderately poor. But, he spent much of that off-season working on his shot mechanics while he was out with a foot injury. It seems like it took him some time to consistently adopt the new mechanics at the beginning of the sophomore season because he didn't get a lot of off-season reps with it with live ball threes. That seems to account for his horrid shooting in the non-conference slate last year; he frequently seemed to be "in between" old and new mechanics, so unsurprisingly, he missed a lot. By about the middle of last year, things seemed to finally click and he was consistently shooting with the new mechanics. He went on to shoot 39.5% in the conference slate.

Now, I don't think Goodin's "true shooting percentage" is nearly 40% but on good shots, I also don't think it's under 30%. I am pretty confident that we are going to see a shooting percentage in the mid-30s for the conference slate this season.

This was an L on my board. We will have Ws that turn into Ls but who cares. I am excited and ready for the Hall at home.

This is how this team needs to win games. We aren’t going to boat race teams. We don’t shoot it week enough. This team will grind out wins with defense and playing team offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last five minutes was fun to watch! Arguably the best 5 we’ve played this year. Hopefully we can build off this since that’s the team we need to be this year! Nothing like having a positive blue print on how to be successful going forward. Very significant for film.