Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Big East Xavier predictions

I'm as rose colored glass guy as much as anybody, but I just can't see it with this group. I can only see 4 wins, all at home, which means we're losing to Depaul on Saturday. In fact, if Naji's back is as bad as some are saying, we may not get to 4.

This is the league's "payback Xavier" year after getting used the last few. if we would somehow go 9-9 I'd be ecstatic, but I see no scenario where that happens. In the past, I'd say we'd steal a few wins by "Outcoaching" the other side...like against Chris Mullin, but I cannot see that this year.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Sadly, I was correct with the 8-5 non-conference prediction. Hope my luck runs out, as I see us going 7-11 in Conference Play. 15-16 is a tough first year, but I firmly believe that we will be back to normal next year in terms of expectations and results.

I'm going to drink a lot of Makers and hope for some serious gelling of the parts for a good conference run.
    Would be sad to miss the tourney, but I'm sure that the past 2 decades have spoiled me.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I'm as rose colored glass guy as much as anybody, but I just can't see it with this group. I can only see 4 wins, all at home, which means we're losing to Depaul on Saturday. In fact, if Naji's back is as bad as some are saying, we may not get to 4.

This is the league's "payback Xavier" year after getting used the last few. if we would somehow go 9-9 I'd be ecstatic, but I see no scenario where that happens. In the past, I'd say we'd steal a few wins by "Outcoaching" the other side...like against Chris Mullin, but I cannot see that this year.
    You bring up some very good points here. The health of the team in general is a big concern. Any player can get injured, but what if a certain point guard's shoulder gets tweaked (or worse). What if Tyrique has more difficulty with his concussion. What about the previously mentioned back issue. That is not as rose-colored as you see it, perhaps, but the depth of this team is razor thin. We're walking the tightrope already and the season could go pear-shaped in a hurry. Most predictions here are decidedly not promising, even at full strength.

On the other hand, what if this team really starts to gel (with so many new, but experienced and, presumably, mature players, I don't think this is a stretch) then everyone accepts their role and the coach's game plan going forward, especially on the defensive side? The turnover issue gets fixed (can it get much worse) and a little luck fall their way...what if?

I'd like to think the Xavier Way, however that is defined, rises up and propels this team to unexpected heights?

They will fall into the middle of the pack in a down BE and finish 9-9 and rally at MSG.

Look as if my glasses may be a deeper shade of rose after all.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Junior
    Was listening to a sports talk show in Indy discussing the Big East.
    They talked about it being a down league and how the "sainted" Bulldogs should be top 4. They also said Xavier being at the bottom would not cause any tears to be shed. I think they're probably correct, and we could end up 6 and 12 in league play.
    Btw, a buddy of mine who went to UD even despises the way the Indy media treats Butler as the most wholesome program in America.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Was listening to a sports talk show in Indy discussing the Big East.
    They talked about it being a down league and how the "sainted" Bulldogs should be top 4. They also said Xavier being at the bottom would not cause any tears to be shed. I think they're probably correct, and we could end up 6 and 12 in league play.
    Btw, a buddy of mine who went to UD even despises the way the Indy media treats Butler as the most wholesome program in America.
    The Big East is still ranked #4 in the NET rankings. While that is down from our last few years, it’s certainly not out. The league is still ranked higher than the SEC & the horrifying PAC 12. The AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC is ranked 7...not even in their stupid “Power 6” marketing campaign that only makes their own schools feel better. Their football sucks too.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I really hope 9-9, but just don’t see that happening. I’m thinking 4 or 5 wins, tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    They also said Xavier being at the bottom would not cause any tears to be shed. Btw, a buddy of mine who went to UD even despises the way the Indy media treats Butler as the most wholesome program in America.
    This has always been interesting to me. When I was growing up it always seemed like X tried to portray itself as the "wholesome" good guys, especially in contrast with the Huggins UC years. Then with Miller and especially the ZipEmUp era (when I was at X) the fan base seemed to adopt a bit of a villain mentality. I would much rather be feared than loved, but that's just me.

Agree with MOR a lot of teams are going to look for revenge when they play us this year. That's okay. We'll be back. It's easier to kick Butler off their high horse than it is for them to stay on it for long.
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

I think 500 in the league is the goal for this year. Like others have said really depends on health. Reinforcements are on the way though.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.