Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sophomore
    This is great news. For one, the impact of MSG on the BE brand cannot be overstated. But maybe more importantly, this is another emphatic statement that the BE’s weight is substantial, so much so that it was able to stamp out this attempted power play from the Big 10 and ACC. BE leadership has been exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    This is great news. For one, the impact of MSG on the BE brand cannot be overstated. But maybe more importantly, this is another emphatic statement that the BE’s weight is substantial, so much so that it was able to stamp out this attempted power play from the Big 10 and ACC. BE leadership has been exceptional.
    Yup, definitely great news seeing the Big East got this done, I'm sure the pull of some of our Northeast guys like St. John's, Nova, etc. did wonders with that, but it's a good sign to see going forward. Truth of the matter is that our conference is very good, and MSG is a special place to play. I'm excited that MSG thinks so, and that we could get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    The Big East tourney is a great experience. I would encourage all X fans to make the trip.
    It really is, and Xavier does a great job in putting together off-site gathering events for the fans.

I had some concern about a year ago, because I was told in confidence from a highly placed Xavier official, that despite the supposed Garden "Lock up", there were actually some triggers that could cause an opt out. There were even some prelim discussions with the B1G about doing a joint tournament during Championship Week- one day Big East, one Day B1G, or a "Day/Night session arrangement" to allay any lock outs of the Big East. That has obviously been put away into the trash can with this deal. Props to Val Ackerman! This is what REAL Commissioners do- not the flotsam that Linda Blutarsky tried to throw out there and that I used to scream about with her.

I'm thinking that even though X and Creighton are down this year- both schools have traditionally outsold their allotment of tickets- that the St. Johns resurgence, the Seton Hall win over UK, and the usual strong turnout from Villanova and Marquette folks will make it up. Georgetown may have a few more than most years, Butler and DePaul always suck in fan appearance and Providence is usually pretty strong, but they're obviously down.

It may not be as a tough a ticket as last year when the league was stronger than ever with good depth, but I think it will represent well.

Glad to see the long term extension! Plus, Congratulations to the Big East Presidents who chose Val Ackerman as Commish. She not only knows Basketball, but has incredible Business Acumen as well. The fact that she is a high profile Woman in an industry that is predominately male dominated makes it even better. The league is in great hands.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Right up Brew's alley, the AAC is talking about having their school do a Grant of Rights.

After Val's comment about maybe adding one school to keep the round robin.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Why on earth would UConn sign up for that?!?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Why on earth would UConn sign up for that?!?
    They wouldn't.

Speculation is that it's more about trying to keep Central Florida in the league with an incentive for more TV money in 2020. Football drives the train supposedly and UCon football does nothing to move the needle. In fact, there seems to be a lot of smoke- some of it being believed by AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC honks- about UCon really thinking of finally trashing their football fantasies- which are costing them tons of dollars- and finding a lower level football league to park their program then moving their other sports to the Big East. This is also along the lines of the Val Ackerman comment yesterday that "If the Big East went to 11 schools, they'd keep the round robin schedule" .

The timing of both of those things yesterday are what has speculation flying.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    I know uconn doesnt really fit culturally with the rest of the be schools but they are a tremendous fit basketball and geography wise and.would only enhance the visibility of the conference. Would love to see them join.

Slu would be a good fall back option. Travis Ford is starting to build something there.

Supporting Member
    Big East expansion - UConn or no one

Or if they can somehow figure out a way to make Gonzaga work.

I do have a question.

How much time has to go by before people finally decide that what they are waiting for isn't going to happen?? I guess for me it happens sooner than it does for most people.

As recently as this past November, UConn scheduled a football series with Purdue that will be played in 2025. To me, that is not something a school does when it is planning on cutting or even reclassifying its football program. I don't know how long people have been speculating that UConn is going to cut football, but throughout that entire time UConn has never done it, nor have they done or said anything that indicates that they have any plans to do so. I guess we could discuss whether or not they should, but it seems to me that there isn't a whole lot to discuss on whether or not they will. They seem pretty committed to keeping it and remaining in a conference that plays football and allows them full membership.

But, that's just me. I've been wrong before, and I know that just by posting this it increases the chances that they will announce tomorrow that they are cutting football and leaving the AAC.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White