Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    The top 5-6 guys can compete with most teams, but without any depth they burn out pretty quickly against good teams. To me, this team’s strength on offense is a fast paced transition team with big fast strong guards that can push the ball to the hoop. Unfortunately you need some depth to implement that, and they don’t have the energy on D.

So, yea, I think everyone is saying the same thing and are correct. Depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I see two big issues:
    1) Gates leaving. I don't think anyone was prepared for that.
    2) The non- development of Elias Harden. He should be providing depth, shooting, etc
    The issue isn’t that the players left....it’s that they weren’t preparing just in case that happened, and it’s happened A LOT over the last 4 years

Hardin IS getting better, he may not ever get good enough to be a big contributor, or he may be like Farr and come on strong as an upperclassman/senior.

But it is really tough when there is only 1 player like Hardin, and by that I mean only 1 player that is not a freshman, but isn’t a starter. They haven’t either kept the roster full or done a good job of developing depth that is ready to step in and become starters when other players leave. It’s been pretty much boon or bust with the Xavier recruits for several years now. They’ve been either starters or they leave, and ones like Summer have been starters and still leave. I wonder if the pressure to win NOW has been a major factor? Has the player rotation plan been based more on the need to win the current game, at the cost of not developing depth? I have to say, yes. IMO that’s exactly what has happened. It payed off for Mack, I guess. It paid off for last years seniors. But it’s sure hurting X this year.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 12-09-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    While in theory I agree, you can't just flip a switch either. Good defenders are good defenders.

You can't expect 3 transfers that played well below high D1 level to be great defenders. The speed, strength, quickness, and athleticism are all new to them. In reality, they're not good enough to be great defenders. That isn't going to change over the next 2 months.

Just come to the conclusion that we're going to take our lumps this year. Big East play could get ugly. 4-5 wins ugly.
    Yeah I'm not saying we are going to be elite defensively. I'm simply saying that the mindset has to change. I think we will be an ok offensive team and will score enough to win some games regardless of the defense. If we want to win 8-10 BE games, then every single player on the roster needs to play with significantly more energy, be way more scrappy and create more turnovers that we can turn into easy points. The bend, don't break and keep your guy in front of you scheme is not working.

Look, UC can make you look bad and its very common after a big loss to go negative in a hurry. Clearly Jones was not himself. Clearly Steele has to make some adjustments on the defensive end AND reign in Q and Marshall from 3. I'm still perplexed that our best shooter isn't getting more minutes when this team struggles to shoot from outside. I still think there is enough talent to go around to win 20 games. Call me crazy.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Yeah I'm not saying we are going to be elite defensively. I'm simply saying that the mindset has to change. I think we will be an ok offensive team and will score enough to win some games regardless of the defense. If we want to win 8-10 BE games, then every single player on the roster needs to play with significantly more energy, be way more scrappy and create more turnovers that we can turn into easy points. The bend, don't break and keep your guy in front of you scheme is not working.

Look, UC can make you look bad and its very common after a big loss to go negative in a hurry. Clearly Jones was not himself. Clearly Steele has to make some adjustments on the defensive end AND reign in Q and Marshall from 3. I'm still perplexed that our best shooter isn't getting more minutes when this team struggles to shoot from outside. I still think there is enough talent to go around to win 20 games. Call me crazy.
    I’m calling you crazy :) I don’t think there is a chance of this team winning 20. At best this teams record will be 9-4 in non con and that Mizzou game is a toss up. Mizzou is getting better and they defend like uc. Even if they do win that game, they’d have to have a better than 500 record in the big east and I just don’t see it happening with this group. I see 16-18 wins but that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I’m calling you crazy :) I don’t think there is a chance of this team winning 20. At best this teams record will be 9-4 in non con and that Mizzou game is a toss up. Mizzou is getting better and they defend like uc. Even if they do win that game, they’d have to have a better than 500 record in the big east and I just don’t see it happening with this group. I see 16-18 wins but that’s just me.
    Yeah I was considering the tourney as well where they would have a chance to win a couple games. Realize that its a stretch, but this team has not played its best basketball by any stretch. One thing that's a huge question mark is Steele being a first year HC. Can he make the adjustments and get the team to buy in?

Sophomore
    I think every player has to play 5% better and by 5% better I mean 5% more energy on defense and running the court. You dance with who brung you and there is no chance for radical change now. We really don't turn anyone over, in fact sometimes we almost cause a turnover and then get back into defensive stance. I also don't see us pushing for early offense and we get zero easy baskets. I wish Jones /Hankins would hit a mid range now and then..I feel that Kanter was the difference maker last year with his versatility. Looking at the minutes played yesterday I see Naj, Q, Scruggs in the 30s and Jones and Castin(who had an off day) in the high twenties. If we were putting out more defensive effort there would not be many in the 30s and we would use depth more and you could see Hankins and Welage in the 20s which I think would benefit the team. When was the last time you saw someone put their hand up needing a blow.. It will be a rocky road as Marquette and Seton Hall looked very good yesterday, Nova has stabilized, and Creighton took Gonzaga deep into game. PC and St Johns look tough also. The thought of sweeps is a distant memory. Steele will have his work cut out for him
    Last edited by whopper; 12-09-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Shannon has an interesting quote from Q. “It’s time to wake up. We’ve just got to get better, watch film,” Goodin said. “We’ve just got to be dedicated to listening to the coaches.”

That’s not encouraging, implying they’re not too awake and not listening to the coaching staff. Based on the big leads we’ve blown, I think Q is right. They’re asleep at the wheel and not paying attention. If that changes, things will improve. If not, we’ll struggle to win 4 games in conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Shannon has an interesting quote from Q. “It’s time to wake up. We’ve just got to get better, watch film,” Goodin said. “We’ve just got to be dedicated to listening to the coaches.”

That’s not encouraging, implying they’re not too awake and not listening to the coaching staff. Based on the big leads we’ve blown, I think Q is right. They’re asleep at the wheel and not paying attention. If that changes, things will improve. If not, we’ll struggle to win 4 games in conference.

Inner monologue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I don't think we are quite there yet, but at some point you have to start sitting guys if they either aren't defending hard enough or taking ill advised shots that the coaches are encouraging them not to take.

The silver lining is that they have a whole week to get healthy and rest before the next game which should help. Defensive intensity/effort isn't easy to instill.......b/c the rewards aren't always instantaneous like they are on the offensive end.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post

The same thing happened multiple times last year as well against even bad competition. The difference is that last year we had JP or tre who would all of a sudden turn the light on and get us out of the jam. I really think that for years now, xavier has had a roster full of guys that just have a laissez faire attitude...I'm looking forward to that changing with the recruits are going to infuse the program soon.