Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Those Cumberland threes were against the 1-3-1, which I thought was effective until Cumberland hit those threes. Both threes were in Kennedy's area of the zone.
    You’re right, both threes came from our 1-3-1. Cumberland’s first 3 was Kennedy’s fault as well as UC’s layup at end of first. As for Cumberland’s second three during that timeframe, not sure it was Kennedy’s fault. Look to me he was trying to recover from a blown coverage from someone else. If not, he was way way out of position. I could be wrong since I just saw the play once.

As “BLUE” said, the big lights did make Kennedy look like a true freshman yesterday. Overall this year, think Kennedy has done a decent job on what Steele is asking him to do.
    Last edited by noteggs; 12-09-2018 at 12:57 PM.

At some point this season, Steele is going to have to decide whether it’s better to win a few games or develop Kennedy, James, and Harden.

Playing Marshall and Goodin all those minutes doesn’t do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Wasn't Driessen a first baseman?

Both Driessen & Tony Perez, while ending their Reds careers and 1st basemen, began as 3rd basemen. They were both defensive liabilities at 3rd. The Big Dawg getting his chance across the diamond when we traded Lee May to the Astros in 72. Dreissen eventually became a bench player (he was the first DH in NL history in the 76 World Series) until we traded Perez to the Expos in 77.

Yes, yesterday was painful to watch, especially the 2nd half. Just have to keep the faith and hope to see some growth and improvement.

I am also super curious why we didn't see a single second of Harden.

Sophomore
    you may be able to accomplish both. If these guys play with frenetic energy you may get opportunity baskets to make up for any loss in skill and experience. Something that annoyed the hell out of me a couple of years ago was when Oklahoma City used to complain when Westbrook went out the whole team went to hell and there were examples in the +/-. The problem was that his "backup" was Victor Oladipo who was put on such a tight rein that it because a self fulfilling prophecy. I think the 37 min guys need to go to 30-32, and Welage needs to get 22 and Hardin, Kennedy need 8 and maybe James 4. If anyone dogs it they sit and it could not hurt.

I think some of this is a rookie head coach just not knowing how to manage through these things yet.

He better start NOW if hes going to get more minutes to those three guys. Its pay for it now or later...........

Playing some of these guys 37-38 minutes a game is not sustainable....especially when one was sick last week for 3-4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Playing some of these guys 37-38 minutes a game is not sustainable....especially when one was sick last week for 3-4 days.
    I don't agree with that. They play twice a week. It's not like they are going to run out of gas in February.

Now if a guy is out on the court sucking wind, and he can't get a rest, that's a different story. But yesterday's game was slow moving and didn't involve a lot of running back and forth up and down the court. And let's not forget they get a break about every 4 minutes for a tv timeout.

If Harden, Kennedy or James aren't doing enough to earn PT, I don't think you play them. That said, Kennedy got 12 minutes yesterday (and did very little). I have to think Harden is still sick.

The other problem with Goodin is that Scruggs is the backup point guard. He keeps getting into foul trouble, and he's much better playing off the ball.
    ard
    Last edited by XU 87; 12-09-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I don't agree with that. They play twice a week. It's not like they are going to run out of gas in February.

Now if a guy is out on the court sucking wind, and he can't get a rest, that's a different story. But yesterday's game was slow moving and didn't involve a lot of running back and forth up and down the court. And let's not forget they get a break about every 4 minutes for a tv timeout.

If Harden, Kennedy or James aren't doing enough to earn PT, I don't think you play them. That said, Kennedy got 12 minutes yesterday (and did very little). I have to think Harden is still sick.

The other problem with Goodin is that Scruggs is the backup point guard. He keeps getting into foul trouble, and he's much better playing off the ball.
    ard
    It isn't working now and they aren't making enough shots and playing strong D. I would rather try to develop the bench and get them some rest than allowing this to continue to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    It isn't working now and they aren't making enough shots and playing strong D. I would rather try to develop the bench and get them some rest than allowing this to continue to happen.
    It seems unrealistic to expect Naji, Scruggs and Goodin to play less minutes. What would the line ups be? Atrocious no doubt. If Kennedy and Harden are going to get more minutes they would have to come from Welage and Castlin's share.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    It seems unrealistic to expect Naji, Scruggs and Goodin to play less minutes. What would the line ups be? Atrocious no doubt. If Kennedy and Harden are going to get more minutes they would have to come from Welage and Castlin's share.
    l'm not taking about Naji and Goodin playing 25 minutes a game. But look at their stats. They both are shooting the ball significantly worse this year than last year (Goodin- his frosh year too). It could be a bunch of different things contributing to this and I get that.

Scruggs is forcing himself to the bench with foul trouble. Hes averaging 30 minutes a game and it would be great to get him up around 33-35 with as well as he's playing.

All-Conference
    Naji is at his best as a slasher and in the open court, and Q is at his best as a distributor and attacking the basket. Neither of these guys can be successful in these roles without perimeter guys that open up the lane. And coaches know this. None of them are going to allow the lanes to open for either Naji or Q, as opposing coaches know these are our best players.

Without a consistent shooting threat, they will continue to struggle out on the perimeter. It's not their game. But what's the alternative?