Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Why??? NBA is nothing but this now. That is how you win in today's basketball. Tell me the last team that won a NC by posting up
    And I’m not saying don’t shoot at all. I’m fine with four or even five threes maybe if they’re open but it’s ridiculous that they are taking the same number of threes Trevon Bluiett was last year

Quote Originally Posted by KFX View Post
    If you don’t have talent what you can do is instill discipline on both sides of the ball. Xavier offensive sets are very poor - shot selection is poor, q and naji and even Scruggs just out of control at times taking it to the rim. Team cannot make a confident pass into the post. Naji cannot handle the fucking ball - he gets caught on the dribble too much and he’s left digging for the ball at his feet. Q is a poor decision maker. Scruggs is a competent scorer but he is a confidence player and too often he seems To play with little confidence. Castlin is not a BE player. Tyrique is a little bit of an enigma. Blows hot and cold

Team needs an iron hand. Steele ain’t the guy. I do not care about the BE or about the tournament. I would just like to see improvement and I have not seen any over 10 games. Free throws still iffy, timid play, no diving on the floor, lack of intensity and effort. All of that is on the coach That’s why he gets paid.
    You were doing so well until you said Steele isnt the guy........just stop it already. We KNEW that we were going to have growing pains.

I'm not going through all of the previous 12 pages....yeah I'm lazy.......if this team doesn't start taking their defense seriously......as in its the #1 priority of this team before we do anything on the offensive end....this is going to be a LONG year. We DO NOT HAVE TREVON BLUEITT and JP on this team. We have a bunch of guys who are mediocre shooters at best.

We must DEFEND, create MORE turnovers and be a defensive minded team FIRST. Forget all of the the other BS.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    How do you possibly know Steele isn’t the guy 10 games into his tenure?
    You’re right, but you can’t possibly say he is either. All the rhetoric like ”the Xavier way” is just... empty rhetoric. The fact is, we don’t know.

The more concerning thing for me right now is that I’m afraid our key players aren’t very coachable. Steele sees the same problems we do, but they persist nonetheless. Q is supposed to be our steady leader, but he has somehow contorted himself into a hotdog instead. Naji is supposed to be our best player, and he’s confusing himself with Scottie Pippen. NCAA or not, my measure for Steele this year will be what Q and Naji look like at the end of the season. Looks like he has his work cut out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    You’re right, but you can’t possibly say he is either. All the rhetoric like ”the Xavier way” is just... empty rhetoric. The fact is, we don’t know.

The more concerning thing for me right now is that I’m afraid our key players aren’t very coachable. Steele sees the same problems we do, but they persist nonetheless. Q is supposed to be our steady leader, but he has somehow contorted himself into a hotdog instead. Naji is supposed to be our best player, and he’s confusing himself with Scottie Pippen. NCAA or not, my measure for Steele this year will be what Q and Naji look like at the end of the season. Looks like he has his work cut out for him.
    well said

Pump the brakes people, those of us who know basketball well knew this was coming. This year is going to suck. Next year is where Steele proves himself. He will have two seniors and three juniors in the program long term to use. Add to that a great class coming in and hopefully a 4-5 star in Odom coming after.

The season will be tough but the future is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sophomore
    I don’t know if he’s it, but there’s people more important than me who had believed in him enough to hire him. And I agree, I wouldn’t say “coachable” because of all the connotations that come with it that I don’t think apply to these guys, but more so set in their ways. At this point, Q and Tyrique are what they are. Naji has definitely run hot and cold, and Paul is out most talented, hardest working player, but puts himself into foul trouble way too much.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Pump the brakes people, those of us who know basketball well knew this was coming. This year is going to suck. Next year is where Steele proves himself. He will have two seniors and three juniors in the program long term to use. Add to that a great class coming in and hopefully a 4-5 star in Odom coming after.

The season will be tough but the future is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Next year should be a protected seed year. The 2019-20 year should be another special year, a la 2015/2017 years, minus the early exits.

2015-2016 year is the model that Xavier will forever be built on, IMO. Long, athletic, tough, skilled, a little bit of everything. Definitely not reliant on one end of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    It’s honestly ridiculous we keep having to say this game after game but 14 threes from naji and Quentin is way too many. It shouldn’t be this hard to figure this out
    I certainly don't disagree with your point, but I don't see any other option against a team like UC with this roster.

They completely took away the interior. Our interior offense was non-existent. Hankins and Jones did absolutely nothing. People here love to say Goodin and especially Naji are being lazy. What about Hankins and Jones? Were they in the building? They couldn't even get open for a pass.

No one had success driving the ball. They crashed and completely took that away. Plus, none of our players are good enough passers to dependably pass inside-out. At best we won some fights on the boards, or picked up drop balls and got put backs.

We can't depend on volume from Welage. Castlin couldn't hit anything. What am I missing that seems so obvious to everyone else? Crap threes are the best looks we were able to get all game. If we took less threes we would have just had more turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    No you don't sit Naji. It's nothing but inexperience
    Agree. Next will not be much better with 5 wided eyed frosh. Weight for Steele's 3rd year seniors Scruggs and Marshall, shooters as sophs, and frontcourt that is better. When will someone ask Steele if thos year's team still is on pace to be the best defensively?
    Cronin pulled Jones away from the basket as MAck did to Cronin's Clark last year.