Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I actually never did dislike Huggins. If I'm telling the truth, I kind of like him. Even when he was at UC I kind of liked him. He's a really good coach, and a lot of X fans may not believe it, but he actually does really care about his players and nearly everyone that ever played for him remains loyal to him.

I don't dislike Mick Cronin. He's actually done quite well throughout his career. But, he's just ridiculous. The reason I don't hate him is because I have a hard time not laughing at a grown man who throws a fit. It's so ridiculous that it's comical. He, and other coaches who do this, are basically slapping their players in the face when they act like that and get T'd up. How ridiculous is it that needing to be held back by his own players is a rather common occurrence?? I'm waiting for the day where one of his own players just decks him.

What if Mick Cronin were an attorney?? "Objection your honor." "Overruled" "WTF!!WAAAH!!WAHH!!AWAHHWAHH!!!!!!!"

What if Mick Cronin was a car salesman?? "I'm sorry, but I'd like to return this." "WTF!!WAAAH!!WAHH!!AWAHHWAHH!!!!!!!"

What if Mick Cronin waited until Christmas Eve to do all his shopping?? "I'm sorry sir, we're all sold out of that.""WTF!!WAAAH!!WAHH!!AWAHHWAHH!!!!!!!"

This is a man that does not handle minor adversity all that well. There just aren't many adults who behave like that. So no, I don't hate him. If anything I find him amusing. But GEEZ! He has the temperament and impulse control of a five year old. If a player acted like that they'd get thrown off the team.
    Bob Huggins doesnt give a fuck about his players in any way outside of how they can help him win basketball games. He doesnt expect any type of academic or personal behavior excellence from them. he just wants them eligible, so he can use them.

Hes a piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Bob Huggins doesnt give a fuck about his players in any way outside of how they can help him win basketball games. He doesnt expect any type of academic or personal behavior excellence from them. he just wants them eligible, so he can use them.

Hes a piece of shit.
    Yeah, a real piece of shit...

https://wvusports.com/news/2007/7/26...x?path=general
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

My Huggins story is this.

I met him in a San Jose, Ca airport when he was coaching KSU. He was waiting at a gate adjacent to mine so I rolled up and gave him 5 seconds of trash talk about UC/XU rivalry then shook his hand. The guy took some time before his flight to tell me some stories about the games when I was in school. Being a coach and a minor celebrity, he still took time and we had some laughs about the crosstown games though I was just a fan.

I can't speak to anything else about the guy, but he was cool with this X grad.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

Hes a piece of shit.
    This is bullshit. Huggins does care deeply about his players, and they care about him. Obviously a flawed man, but that doesn't mean everything about the guy is evil.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Cool story and did not know. Thanks for sharing!

Judging coaches based on what you see on the sidelines, hear in press conferences, or read in the papers and on the internet, is about as accurate as saying you know someone because of what they write on an internet fan forum.

Over on the UC board they are talking about how Xavier fans are obnoxious and delusional. Please don’t prove them right.

When a tough guy calls out tough guys

https://twitter.com/BrandonSaho/stat...77585289277441
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

I saw the game. I'm inclined to believe Mick in this case. The calls in that game were head scratchers. He had every right to be asking for explanations and they didn't even want to extend that, probably because the call was so bad. That UC kid was going straight up and didn't touch the other player from what I saw. Mick knows what to say to get ejected, so I doubt he would go there if he didn't really want to leave the game. He shouldn't have acted like he's going to fight the guy or something, but he's got the right to ask why they got the call.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Judging coaches based on what you see on the sidelines, hear in press conferences, or read in the papers and on the internet, is about as accurate as saying you know someone because of what they write on an internet fan forum.

Over on the UC board they are talking about how Xavier fans are obnoxious and delusional. Please don’t prove them right.
    I think this is right. Frankly, I’d rather not give sUCk fans the satisfaction of thinking X fans give a flying flick about Mick or their mid-major basketball program, especially when we’re not even playing them. Just my two cents... But who am I to spoil anyone’s fun at sUCk’s expense?

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    This is bullshit. Huggins does care deeply about his players, and they care about him. Obviously a flawed man, but that doesn't mean everything about the guy is evil.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yup, 100%. I am good friends with a guy who played for Huggins at WVU, he wasn't a star by any means, but got some solid playing time, and the narrative that he doesn't care about his players is false as hell. He genuinely took rooting interest in his guys, and he's come a long way from the "thugs" that he was recruiting at UC. They have an assistant coach go to each class all of the players are enrolled in, and do a check to see if they are there, and if they aren't, he runs their asses off for it. If you don't believe my accounts, here's one from Jevon Carter in a well written article, and that's coming from the best player on last year's team: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...phis-grizzlies

My Huggins story is that he frequents the country club bar I drink at on breaks with friends, they do the Little General Golf Tournament there, and he is always present for that, in the past with Dana Holgorsen. Well, usually Huggins rents out a room of the restaurant/bar there (called Bunkers). A girl I was seeing at the time was there as the waitress for him and his party, the check was for a couple hundred dollars, and Huggins left a $1,000 tip. He also decided to open up the restaurant/bar area to everybody, and has done so for the past few years. He spends time there talking to the locals, each for a few minutes minimum. He's well received around the state, a large part being he's a WVU alum, but he's genuinely not bad. You can say he's an asshole, and has had a lot of questionable calls throughout his career, but I do whole-heartedly believe Bob Huggins is someone who cares.