Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    As to your first paragraph- fair enough. I'll keep things civil.

I don't know who Fredericks is. I would hope that the XU coaching staff does. But if he has already had two games where he has scored in double digits averaging a point a minute and shot 6-6 in one of those games, and if in his last game he scored 9 points in 14 minutes, the XU scouting report better not say, "He can't score. Don't worry about him."

And if the scouting report on him does say that, and he scores 17 points tomorrow, and he ends up shooting 58% from the floor and is UC's third leading scorer by the end of the year, I sure as hell don't want Coach Steele to say next year, "He can't score. He had a career day." In fact, I would want our coach to keep his mouth shut and privately say to himself and his staff, "How did we miss this? We did a terrible job scouting that player."

I would also want Steele to tell his staff, "When we scout a player wrong, and we realize this in the first half of the game, we need to change how we're going to guard that player instead of saying, "Well, this is what our scouting report says and we're sticking to it. I don't care what the facts now show us."
    Last edited by XU 87; 12-07-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown View Post
    My wife would agree Ha! Look I aint trying to get nasty or anything. Just trading a little Crosstown Shootout jabs for fun.

But none of you could convince me that if Rashawn Fredericks came in tomorrow after averaging 4 pts a game and went 6-8 on FG 2-2 from beyond the arc with 17 points that that would in Micks words wouldn't be a little "strange".

Heck I'm willing to bet most of you never even heard the name Rashawn Fredericks before I mentioned it.
    This average 4 points a game crap only 9 games in is kind of stupid and short sighted. It doesn't take into consideration that all teams find their groove in the early games of the year. Most coaches look at trends and not averages. ASU last season is a classic example. Those three guards, they had were all shooting 42-45% from three early in the year. By the end of the year, they were all trending in the 33% range or lower. Why defend them the same as if their average was 40% for the year, but they were trending lower at the time. That is just goofy.

Good scouting coaches plan for what they expect the opponent is trending in their season to do but they also plan for the worst. I think Cronin is just searching for excuses because he is well aware his teams have underachieved in the NCAA tournament and fans are getting annoyed.

Even with Tyrique, this X team's strengths fall right in with UC's strengths on defense. Couple that with our poor 3 defense and patchy 2pt defense. I think it will be close but UC pulls it out. With no Tyrique, UC should win going away.

Cronin's statements are more a hedge than anything else. It's a rivalry game, guys get up for it, if a guy like Harden/Kennedy/Welage go nuts from three, Cronin has his excuse ready.

Kerem Kanter put UC in a Turkish prison.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

My wife would agree Ha! Look I aint trying to get nasty or anything. Just trading a little Crosstown Shootout jabs for fun.

But none of you could convince me that if Rashawn Fredericks came in tomorrow after averaging 4 pts a game and went 6-8 on FG 2-2 from beyond the arc with 17 points that that would in Micks words wouldn't be a little "strange".

Heck I'm willing to bet most of you never even heard the name Rashawn Fredericks before I mentioned it.
    You could name any other borecat outside of Cumberland, and I would have no clue who they would be. I think most people outside of uc are that way.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

Mick just got tired of blaming his own players, so he tried blaming one of ours. It’s anybody but Mick, in his own twisted little mind. Look in the mirror, little fella.

I think you're missing the point of a grown man head coach throwing a cheap shot at a kid who's not even there anymore for no apparent reason. He called him Enes Kanter's brother and said he never made shots. It's not the biggest deal in the world, just emphasizes how much of a clown he is.
    Run the table.

This comparison/example is stupid. Kanter averaged 11.3 points the year before. You're ignoring his body of work at UW-GB in favor of 7 games before the UC game in which he had to earn PT and learn a new system, etc. He wasn't some freshman/sophomore who came out of nowhere. There was tape on him that showed what his skill set was. Had he shown it at X yet? No, but he wasn't some secret.

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    I think you're missing the point of a grown man head coach throwing a cheap shot at a kid who's not even there anymore for no apparent reason. He called him Enes Kanter's brother and said he never made shots. It's not the biggest deal in the world, just emphasizes how much of a clown he is.
    He called him by the name of his brother who plays in the NBA? That Mick sure has the zingers.

He 100 percent knows Kerem was his name. He was just being a dick.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    There was tape on him that showed what his skill set was. Had he shown it at X yet? No, but he wasn't some secret.
    I'll disagree with on that one. Look at the tape of Hampton, ASU and Baylor, and he had already shown he could score, and score in bunches. My recollection is that he all but carried the team in the second half of the ASU game.