Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    I dunno, we had a hard time guarding a 12 yr. old with fluffy hair.
    7 of his points came early in the 2nd half when Welage was guarding him man to man. That changed when X went to the zone.

I thought that other than whomever Welage was guarding man to man being able to score almost at will, the defense was pretty good last night. Ohio was kept 17 points under their average and didn’t shoot particularly well. Their two top guns got some points but neither had a huge night, and the rest of their team didn’t contribute much at all. The defense has definitely shown some improvement. It still has a way to go, but it is improving.

Hope Jones is OK and not just because X really needs him on Saturday. Coach did say on the radio afterwards that he wasn’t hurting as much then as he had been earlier, but the key is how he feels today and tomorrow. Hopefully no headaches and other symptoms of concussion.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    JP and Trevon were tremendous. I think some people are only thinking of their Senior year though. Naji and Paul are still sophomores and are being asked wayyyy more than the other 2 were this early in the season as Soph’s. Let’s them grow a little , they’re not going to be all time great Senior back court guys overnight.
    In a lot of ways I think you are right. All returning players from last years team fit their role perfectly on last years team. In a way that is the main reason I expected a big jump from all of them. I am really most frustrated with Naji though- he really reminds me of Lance Stephenson- it looks like he is playing way too fast and erratic and at times everything is working for him within that pattern and other times he will do a jump pass across court to someone 6 rows up. I think for a while we will have to take the good and the bad from that style of play.

Jones got his first rebound half way through the 2nd half. He needs to be much more aggressive on the boards. When he decides to be aggressive he seems to be able to dominate the boards but lethargy seems to set in way too often. When things go wrong he seems to sulk a lot and it affects his game.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    Jones got his first rebound half way through the 2nd half. He needs to be much more aggressive on the boards. When he decides to be aggressive he seems to be able to dominate the boards but lethargy seems to set in way too often. When things go wrong he seems to sulk a lot and it affects his game.
    He has the second highest offensive rebound rate of anyone in the nation (and is #78 of defensive rebound rate). Think he's doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    He has the second highest offensive rebound rate of anyone in the nation (and is #78 of defensive rebound rate). Think he's doing ok.
    Hopefully that continues when the competition becomes tougher.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Yeah I am really confused when I hear much criticism of Tyrique on the year. Especially when it comes to rebounding.

I did a quick look, nothing thorough, looking at rebounding per 40 on ESPN (cant sort that stat for some reason) and Jones looks to be in the top 10-15 for rebounding per 40 as well.

He is 71st overally but gets a lot less minutes than most of the players in front of him.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

All-Conference
    Most valuable players so far, in order:

Scruggs
    Welage
    Tyrique
    Castlin

Hard to put much criticism on these four.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Most valuable players so far, in order:

Scruggs
    Welage
    Tyrique
    Castlin

Hard to put much criticism on these four.
    Welage over Tyrique, Naji, Hankins? He plays atrocious defense as was seen when Lamelo Ball was getting anything he wanted against him to start the second half. He wouldn't even be in my top 5 at this point. You can't play him half the time.

All-Conference
    We didn't sign Welage for his defense. We are in desperate need of guys who can shoot the rock. And absolutely over Naji. Honestly, I forgot about Hankins. He started out strong, but hasn't been memorable the past couple games.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    We didn't sign Welage for his defense. We are in desperate need of guys who can shoot the rock. And absolutely over Naji. Honestly, I forgot about Hankins. He started out strong, but hasn't been memorable the past couple games.
    Correct, but when he's so abysmal defensively that you can't play him for multiple game stretches at a time, how valuable is he really? Sure, he scored 9 last night, but he was getting absolutely torched on defense to the point where he was probably a net negative in that game. You can't just ignore his terrible defense because we knew what we were getting.