Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    I saw him play too, and he looks every bit of 7ft with long arms. Good hands, good feet, and if he can put on a little weight by the start of the season, I can see him coming in and getting 5-8 minutes a game. He's not at all clumsy. Underrated imo.
    If Miles shows he can compete basketball wise and hold his own against Jones early on, his weight may not matter that much. The guy is a proven shot blocker (I think he shattered the Kentucky HS tourney record w/ 15). As far as him getting it done in the BE, think of Tariq Owens for SJU. That guy was/is a string bean but still was very effective. He is having an outstanding year protecting the rim at TTU.....83 blocks and counting. If all goes well, we get some Owens defensively with some Paul Reed bball IQ!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-24-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    If Miles shows he can compete basketball wise and hold his own against Jones early on, his weight may not matter that much. The guy is a proven shot blocker (I think he shattered the Kentucky HS tourney record w/ 15). As far as him getting it done in the BE, think of Tariq Owens for SJU. That guy was/is a string bean but still was very effective. He is having an outstanding year protecting the rim at TTU.....83 blocks and counting. If all goes well, we get some Owens defensively with some Paul Reed bball IQ!
    And I think that's why there is talk of him redshirting. He can probably hold his own shot blocking. But can he contribute in any way on the offensive end? Does he have any low post moves (that will work against legitimate D1 talent)? Can he pick up on X's defensive scheme?

I just don't see him getting enough minutes after Jones, Freemantle, and Ramsey to justify burning his redshirt. That being said. I've only seen clips of him so what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    Where did this strategy come from of recruiting a big man "project" and then redshirting him come from? We've reportedly tried it the last two years (K.Jones and Walter) and neither one even made it to campus. I know each had situations, but it is also what has left us with pretty much one for-sure big next year. Is there some case from the past that makes us keep going to this well? Jaylen Reynolds is maybe the closest example I can think of, but he was held out due to an issue with his transcript and not as a redshirt as I recall, and he also left early, so it's not like we got en extra year out of it anyway. Are there a number of examples outside of Xavier where this big-man-red-shirt strategy has worked out?

I guess my point is, I'm not sure Miles will be an automatic redshirt.
    How quickly we forget; DBrown springs to mind; without using dirty words Keith Waleskowski is good example. Sometimes it's a matter of team's needs to allow a player who has upside but will not likely see minutes as FR; also gets effective head start on next recruiting class. As for strategy, this has been ongoing since redshirts were invented--even more so in football-- at least 40 years ago.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    How quickly we forget; DBrown springs to mind; without using dirty words Keith Waleskowski is good example. Sometimes it's a matter of team's needs to allow a player who has upside but will not likely see minutes as FR; also gets effective head start on next recruiting class. As for strategy, this has been ongoing since redshirts were invented--even more so in football-- at least 40 years ago.
    Agreed and plus balancing out classes a bit is always a good idea if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    And I think that's why there is talk of him redshirting. He can probably hold his own shot blocking. But can he contribute in any way on the offensive end? Does he have any low post moves (that will work against legitimate D1 talent)? Can he pick up on X's defensive scheme?
    All those questions will be answered in the weeks leading up to the start of the season. If he can effectively guard and score on Tyrique and whatever transfer big we end up with, a redshirt may not be warranted.

Of course getting some balance to the next 2 classes is another issue entirely. For that reason I think Ramsey could be a redshirt option. By all accounts he is pretty raw, especially scoring wise.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-24-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    All those questions will be answered in the weeks leading up to the start of the season. If he can effectively guard and score on Tyrique and whatever transfer big we end up with, a redshirt may not be warranted.

Of course getting some balance to the next 2 classes is another issue entirely. For that reason I think Ramsey could be a redshirt option. By all accounts he is pretty raw, especially scoring wise.
    I don't think a big is their priority on the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I don't think a big is their priority on the transfer market.
    They have reached out to at least one, and probably more.

I do believe that they will have the room to go after more than one transfer, so it’s not going to be and either-or proposition.

Miles could also be a junior in high school, so him redshirting is probably a really good idea.

Supporting Member
    How does this board know so much about red shirting incoming players. These kid read boards and don't need to hear won a be coaches BS.

Quote Originally Posted by slysyl View Post
    How does this board know so much about red shirting incoming players. These kid read boards and don't need to hear won a be coaches BS.
    What is won a be?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens