Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team STATS

Team STATS

The early numbers are in and if you like balance, you got it.....with a decent sample size against good competition, we have 5 guys averaging double figures with Q leading the team with 75 points in only 5 games instead of 6. The Jones/Hankins tandum registered a cool 21.5/13.3 through the first 6. No reason to think these top 5 will not continue to score at this pace consistently. Marshall will probably end up our leading scorer because hopefully Q will focus on getting his assist #'s on par with last year. Scruggs could surprise and really start filling it, as he looks ready to be a star. We could see 3 guys score 400+ this year! The key to success will be production from the 4 other guys. No clear cut 5th starter has emerged. All seem to potentially be reliable scorers but more importantly, we need the intangibles from them. Rebounding has been average at 39 pg but that will go up. Ft% is horrid at .638 and it most certainly will end up 10 points higher. A/TO ratio is dismal with 14 pg of each, with our frontcourt being most of the problem. That has to change soon.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-26-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Every year I just make an excel sheet that takes ESPN's basic stats and then break them down per minute. I find it really helpful and it oftentimes leads to giving bench players an equal footing for comparison. I'm sure I can get this somewhere from some source online.

At this stage there are only two things I've found surprising. The first is just how good of a rebounder Tyrique is. Hankins is a good rebounder, but is about 65% as efficient as Jones. Jones has 0.4 rebounds per minute versus Hankins' 0.26. Meanwhile Hankins only slightly edges out Jones on scoring, 0.56 versus 0.5 PPM.

The second is just how bad of a passing team we are outside of Goodin, Naji and Paul. Hankins with 1 assist in 117 minutes is horrendous. Also while Goodin has a good volume of assists, it's not as rosy when you compare it to the amount of shots he has taken. His AST/FGA is 0.28 versus 0.39 for Naji and Paul. He needs to get a lot better at creating opportunities for teammates. Sometimes it seems he thinks his primary role as PG is just to bring the ball up the floor.

Yeah, Jones has crazy rebounding skills. He has more OFFR than DEFR! Obviously his problem is minutes.....when averaged out over 40 he's at 16 pg. Averaged nearly 13 per over 40 minutes last year for 2nd in the BE behind Delgado. Here's what surprises me, both Castlin and Kennedy are hitting 44% from distance....Harden is at 57%! Only 32 attempts as a group but still.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-26-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Goodin, Scruggs and Naji have been horrible from 3. I believe they are all shooting between 25-30%. If those are the main guys you expect offense from, and they are taking deep 3's then we are in trouble. Those guys gotta be rim attackers first.

I think Harden is 2nd on the team in made 3's. thats great for him, but doesnt say much for some of the other guys that see alot more minutes.

Welage has now hit 20-50 triples at a cool 40% clip. Would like to see him get more attempts though. If he could average 8-9 from here on, he could sniff 100 made come tourney time. Scruggs is making 42% of his 3's and is just 7 points behind Marshall for team high. Looks like they both will score 400+ this year......not too bad for a couple of sophs.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-06-2018 at 05:08 AM.

Xavier's offense is not their problem. Being lazy closing out on three point shooters on defense is what is killing them. They have to make the opponents hurry their shots more. If their is a weakness on offense it is the inability of the big men to score away from the basket. All of those dunks are not going to be available against the Big East opponents that have shot blockers. Posting up our big guards seems to be our best interior offense lately.

I think what's making it hard is our TO's. So often (at least on TV) it appears we just get lazy/sloppy in our passing.
    And it let's team get back in the game when we have a lead.
    Current stats bear this out:

As a team we have 128 Assts/ 112 TO's. It's almost like it is a team feature, as last year our numbers weren't great.
    Contrast that with VA who leads the ACC: 127/63

We currently have 5 players with more TO's than assists.
    Would love to see us cut down on the errant passes.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    We currently have 5 players with more TO's than assists.
    Would love to see us cut down on the errant passes.
    Jones and Hankins combined have a dismal 11/19 ratio through 9 games. Only 11 assisted buckets out of the paint is not gonna cut it. I'm thinking that almost all of the 19 turnovers are not from errant passes but either loosing the handle, getting blocked or poor footwork. Fact is both are not looking to pass much at all. They are aggressive taking it to the iron, which is good, but I would love to see them kick it out more to the perimeter or start hitting guys cutting to the basket.......especially once league play begins.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-06-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Jones and Hankins combined have a dismal 11/19 ratio. Only 11 assisted buckets out of the paint is not gonna cut it. I'm thinking that almost all of the 19 turnovers are not from errant passes but either loosing the handle, getting blocked or poor footwork. Fact is neither seem to want to pass much after they get it low.
    They're also shooting a combined 75-112(67%) from the floor. That's 1.34 points per possession on shots they get up(and would remain around 1.3 factoring in free throws) With numbers like that, they shouldn't be passing once they get it down low.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    They're also shooting a combined 75-112(67%) from the floor. That's 1.34 points per possession on shots they get up(and would remain around 1.3 factoring in free throws) With numbers like that, they shouldn't be passing once they get it down low.
    You have to consider the competition. Maintaining that percentage in the BEast will be a VERY tall order!!