Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnovers

Turnovers

Just going to leave this here. Great win last night BUT it shouldn't have been that close

Our Point Guard Q - 5 turnovers
    Our backup PG Scruggs - 4 Turnovers
    Our "Go To" guy Naji - 4 Turnovers

Been saying this all season - those 3 clean up their play and play to their potential and we can beat anybody.

At the end of the day a win is a win. These 3 take care of the ball we have a chance to win BIG every game IMO.

Supporting Member
    Completely agree. The frustrating part is that most of the Tos aren't because of the defense, it's more bad decision making or lazy passing. Clean this up and this team can really start to make some noise.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I was losing my mind last night watching the turnovers. as xville said it isnt even because of defense, they are mostly unforced turnovers just due to laziness or lack of playing under control.

If we can ever get Q, Scurggs, Naji, and Jones to click at the same time we could be very dangerous.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I was losing my mind last night watching the turnovers. as xville said it isnt even because of defense, they are mostly unforced turnovers just due to laziness or lack of playing under control.

If we can ever get Q, Scurggs, Naji, and Jones to click at the same time we could be very dangerous.
    Can't agree more. These 3 clean up their play and Jones playing the way he is, lets just say I wouldn't want to play Xavier right now.

Sophomore
    I am baffled by the trend towards "between the legs" dribbling. I have heard that is is the equivalent of a cross over without showing the ball. I have noticed the slightest mishandle on a between the legs causes a problem that results 2 seconds later in a turnover as the player recovers from the mishandle and loses focus. It should never be done without an absolute need yet I see Scruggs, Marshall (not Q) doing it all the time. I would say that Scruggs and Marshall account for 1 turnover each game as a result of this without any perceived benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    I am baffled by the trend towards "between the legs" dribbling. I have heard that is is the equivalent of a cross over without showing the ball. I have noticed the slightest mishandle on a between the legs causes a problem that results 2 seconds later in a turnover as the player recovers from the mishandle and loses focus. It should never be done without an absolute need yet I see Scruggs, Marshall (not Q) doing it all the time. I would say that Scruggs and Marshall account for 1 turnover each game as a result of this without any perceived benefit.
    Yes... good observation. Sometimes it does help to keep the defender off the ball, but do it too often or do it when you are too close to multiple players and you simply are asking for a turnover.
    Last edited by IM4X; 02-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Sophomore
    Any decently coordinated 8th grader can dribble between the legs. This is most definitely not the true problem. They just aren’t overall good ball handlers for this level. Them not dribbling between the legs won’t fix this.

I too have stated early in the season that this team has enough talent to beat any BE team simply by making a few less careless turnovers and taking a few less bad shots.

Some of these turnovers are SO EASY to fix.

Last night (towards the end of the game) Q had the ball at the top of the key and was looking for help. Instead of taking a quick few steps toward Q to create a little separation from the player guarding him, Castlin simply stays where he is and puts his hand up. Q, not seeing any other options, throws the ball and the defender (not being lazy like Castlin) jumps in front, stealing it and taking it for an easy bucket. Though Q gets the TO, it really is on Castlin.

Steele needs to show his players that play again and then replay it again and then replay it again and say, “If anyone just stands around with their hand up, making a pass like this hard for a teammate, you are sitting. This type of play should NEVER happen and it may just be the type of bonehead, lazy decision that costs us a game. We have lost so many close games we should have won simply becasue of a few too many of these types of plays. Be aware. Make every pass easy for your teammate. Last night we should have beaten that team by at least 10... and becasue of our laziness, we almost lost the game. From now on, I expect every person out their on the floor to be playing their hardest and smartest every secoond on defense AND OFFENSE. We do that and we can’t beat anyone.”

This is just an impression.
    I go to a lot of Wofford games. Their offense is constantly in motion. And I do mean constantly.
    They are cutting screens without the ball, running to the pass, cutting back door, everything.
    My impression of our offense is that it is very, very static.
    The around the key movement doesn't seemed designed to break off into a play. Just pass the ball around.

Wofford's point guard averages 1.3 TO's per game.
    Q averages 2.9
    Scruggs 2.8
    Marshal 3.4

Just imagine how good we'd be if we could correct that.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    lol the "trend" towards between the legs dribbling? what is this 1975?