Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Look at it this way. Q led the team in points scored until Naj passed him on Saturday....with 1 LESS game played.
    That doesn't change my view of his game at all. Put another way, he's taken more shots than anyone on the team with 1 less game and is only our 4th leading scorer. And yes I do think his percentages will continue to stay this low if he does not change his shooting volume.

I do agree that his shoulder is probably part of the problem.

Sophomore
    I am fine if Q doesn’t develop a jump shot, as long as he stops taking them at a volume shooter’s rate. What I think most of us are worried about is his inability to finish within 5 feet unless it’s a dunk. Naji and Paul find ways to finish at and around the rim much better than him.
    Last edited by MITTENMUSKIE16; 12-03-2018 at 01:31 PM.

As for Q

1. If we look at where Q has been this season. Practice started September 26. A week goes by and he’s out with injury. Comes back in November and plays second game of year with minimal time with team.

2. When he drives/shoots and misses, our offense is prepared for this and why Ty gets so many offensive rebounds. What’s been happening , the 5 roles over when Q drives and leaves Ty unchecked to clean up. Those misses I don’t mind

3. He has to get better on 3’s and shot selection from perimeter and reduce the attempts (last few games much better in attempts from outside) IMO. Is it his shoulder or mental? Who knows. Steele said after game Q’s shot looks good in practice. However, it was nice to see him not wearing harness on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    As for Q

1. If we look at where Q has been this season. Practice started September 26. A week goes by and he’s out with injury. Comes back in November and plays second game of year with minimal time with team.

2. When he drives/shoots and misses, our offense is prepared for this and why Ty gets so many offensive rebounds. What’s been happening , the 5 roles over when Q drives and leaves Ty unchecked to clean up. Those misses I don’t mind

3. He has to get better on 3’s and shot selection from perimeter and reduce the attempts (last few games much better in attempts from outside) IMO. Is it his shoulder or mental? Who knows. Steele said after game Q’s shot looks good in practice. However, it was nice to see him not wearing harness on Saturday.
    I agree with all of this. Concerning offensive rebounds, there are times where Q or Scruggs would basically throw the ball at the hoop, but it made sense because either it would go in or they could reliably count on Jones/Hankins for the putback.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sophomore
    I think the contributions of Castin and Welage have been underrated (Hankins has been indispensable.) They have done all that they have been asked and are not going to the NBA but I hope they get to the big dance. It must be tough with the core 4 being a number 1 seed last year, and then knowing that the grads are here for a year, to fully integrate. We will need all 3 to average 25 pos, 8 Reb and play 15-20 minutes a game to have any chance to make the tournament. All the Big East teams look good, even Depaul. It will be fun and we must accept the results. We used to be able to roll the ball on the court and get 12 wins..that day is gone.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of optimism here for a stellar season. To repeat as regular season champs is a stretch but cutting the nets at MSG is certainly possible.... why not us? When you look at our players individually, I could argue that 5 have professional level talent in addition to several complimentary pieces. When was the last time we had 5 guys average double digit scoring? We have a 6th that will probably get there as well. This team can score with anyone on our schedule. Now, can a first year HC and staff over achieve and instill the fortitude needed to be champions? Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-04-2018 at 02:28 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    There doesn't appear to be a lot of optimism here for a stellar season. To repeat as regular season champs is a stretch but cutting the nets at MSG is certainly possible.... why not us? When you look at our players individually, I could argue that 5 have professional level talent in addition to several complimentary pieces. When was the last time we had 5 guys average double digit scoring? We have a 6th that will probably get there as well. This team can score with anyone on our schedule. Now, can a first year HC and staff over achieve and instill the fortitude needed to be champions? Stay tuned.
    Agree we could win it all........or finish 7th or 8th

We really need our PG to start playing at a higher level

That doesn't include making a bunch of 3's........handle the ball, be a leader, create shots and finish at the rim

On a positive note, it’s great to see Scruggs ability to drive and finish. Naji has been finishing nicely too.

On a negative note, it’s a head scratcher as to why Q has regressed so much in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Agree we could win it all........or finish 7th or 8th
    ✔️

We really need our PG to start playing at a higher level ✔️

That doesn't include making a bunch of 3's✔️

........handle the ball✔️
    be a leader, ✔️
    create shots ✔️
    and finish at the rim✔️

Nailed it.

I would add that Steele is going to need to be more than a teacher- he’ going to need to crack the whip often with this bunch. Apparently, these players are not the kind of perfectionist who self motivate or are hyper critical at assessing their own shortcomings or their team’s shortcomings. They have some talent but not enough chemistry... they often only use their brains during moments of desperation. They aren’t pushing each other to give maximum effort during games and to be smarter with the ball.

I think Travis is finally getting that he needs to keep lighting a fire under their asses or these guys will sleepwalk their way through every game. If these guys could let it sink in that 3s will start falling more when they all are patient enough pass it around and wait for a better shot to become available. Currently it feels like no one (other than Jones and Hankins) seems to really understand what their role is on the floor and as a result they each seem to think they can be the best 3 point shooter... and unfortunately they all end up trying to prove it by forcing quick bad shots when they get the ball in their hands.

Spot on.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-04-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club