Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Well if that's his role, you're the first to label him as such. I have seen a lot of coach Steele interviews and don't recall him saying anything close. Welage is that guy though.
    Because it's pretty obvious that his role is that. If he gets more minutes and a higher usage rate, he has the opportunity to be more dynamic, but right now, it's limited. Yes, Welage has that role, but Harden (and Kennedy) can take some of Welage's minutes because of the ability to cover much of the same role.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Well if that's his role, you're the first to label him as such. I have seen a lot of coach Steele interviews and don't recall him saying anything close. Coach has referred to Welage as that guy though.
    That's the exact reason we recruited him. He was the shooter brought in that class to compliment Scruggs and Naji's games.

Harden has a pretty nice handle. He's definitely physically capable of making some plays other than shooting standstill jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Yeah, but he can also mix in a little bit more of his game...if there is any of course. Also, the rebounding and assist piece cant be brushed off either.......
    With time, he and Kennedy can add to their games. As of right now, though, they have usage rates of 15% and 10%, respectively, and neither is even playing 20 minutes per game. It's hard to assert more than the most basic role with that.

Rebounding can improve too, but this will be affected by responsibilities when a shot is taken. Neither guy has recorded an offensive rebound, but with Scruggs being a great rebounder from the guard spot, both are probably told to wait for a kickout for a three or get back on D. On the defensive end, they are likely told the flip side of that: Guard their man on the perimeter or start running out for transition three opportunities. What the responsibility is would likely be situational, based on who is likely to get the rebound.

Assists are going to be limited when you have Q and Scruggs on the floor together handling the ball much of the time. Harden has only 1, but Kennedy also has only recorded 1 since the Evansville game.

Last edited by XUFan09; 11-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    That's the exact reason we recruited him. He was the shooter brought in that class to compliment Scruggs and Naji's games.
    Yep, he was recruited as a scorer who can shoot the three while also having the length and athleticism to defend reasonably well. Kennedy was recruited for the same thing. The most basic role for guys like that is being a 3-and-D guy. From there, they can expand to the scorer's role if they earn the minutes and usage rate.

So far, neither has completely neglected the scorer's role (e.g. Both have attacked defenders off the bounce if they overplay them on the perimeter). However, their responsibility as bench role players is essentially to be that 3-and-D guy.

Last edited by XUFan09; 11-29-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Last night was evidence that this team might be on the verge of coming together a bit. I didn't realize they really only practiced as a full squad for the first time in Hawaii.
    Can you expand on the practice comment? I havent heard or seen anything along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    Can you expand on the practice comment? I havent heard or seen anything along those lines.
    Steele mentioned on the post-game that until Maui, they hadn't had a full squad practice due to people being sick (Naji) or banged up. He said Hawaii was the first time they had a full-out practice with game-like intensity.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Thank you for the info, I missed post game last night!

I think the worry that Harden is just shooting the 3, is not much of a concern. Sure, if he continues to make them, he will continue to shoot them. IF he continues to shoot them well, the defense will be forced to come out and guard him differently....which will force him to change his game. No reason to change it if it is working. The 6 2pt shots isn't concerning to me at all.

BJ Raymond is often used here on this board to talk about a player who grew from small usage to major contributor in 4 years. His career USED to be the normal, expected arc of a player in college. His scoring went from 3.4, 4.1, 9.9, 14.1 in his four years. Reasonable growth.

Harden happened to be a freshman on a team LOADED with guards who were ALL Time players at X, so I think his freshman year was a little stunted.

Raymond averaged about 1 2pt shot a game for his first two years with more of a reliance on the three (75 2pt shots in 65 games). 2pt/3pt shots for his career: 36/49, 39/80, 82/199, and 160/205. Sophomore and Junior years he shot well over 2 3pt shot for every 1 2pt shot. Senior year, major player, more usage, more attention from defenses and the rate slipped to a little over 1 to 1.

Harden will be fine. He has some handle. He can shoot. If he is forced to adjust, he will adjust. He lost some out on some experience last year, but he is getting better and will emerge as a good contributing player at X.
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

How does one calculate the expected Kenpom score for matchups?
    First time account subscription and loving all the data.