Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    On a positive note, it’s great to see Scruggs ability to drive and finish. Naji has been finishing nicely too.

On a negative note, it’s a head scratcher as to why Q has regressed so much in that area?
    Banners on the Parkway seems to be convinced that he is a bit “gun shy” driving the lane for fear of contact to his shoulder....I agree. Assuming the opposition knows about the shoulder, they most certainly would take some shots at it. That would explain why everyone in the X camp continues to gloss over the status of the injury. Fact is, last year he was going hard to the rim at every opportunity, often with jaw dropping results. He’s obviously not doing that now, instead attempting to score with no contact. This theory should be considered legit until proven otherwise.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-04-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    There doesn't appear to be a lot of optimism here for a stellar season. To repeat as regular season champs is a stretch but cutting the nets at MSG is certainly possible.... why not us? When you look at our players individually, I could argue that 5 have professional level talent in addition to several complimentary pieces. When was the last time we had 5 guys average double digit scoring? We have a 6th that will probably get there as well. This team can score with anyone on our schedule. Now, can a first year HC and staff over achieve and instill the fortitude needed to be champions? Stay tuned.
    I certainly appreciate the optimism but based on what the team has shown so far, I think it is more realistic to see a 17-18 win team. This team doesnt play defense or have the outside shooting it is going to take to win many true road games. I think the future is bright, but I cant see this team getting it done against be competition consistently even with it presumably being a bit of a down year.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I certainly appreciate the optimism but based on what the team has shown so far, I think it is more realistic to see a 17-18 win team.
    A case could be made that what the team has shown so far is reason for optimism. We take #8 to OT. No shame in fighting #12 down to the wire and we blew the doors off a very good SDSU team before brain farting away a 19pt trouncing. I think several of our guys were way to cocky early on, causing us to surrender some big leads but they have touched the “hot stove” and should not make that mistake again. Coach Steele seems to be a little wobbly out of the gate but that too should pass. BTW, if that guy from Oakland is not Horizon POY i’ll eat my hat!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    A case could be made that what the team has shown so far is reason for optimism. We take #8 to OT. No shame in fighting #12 down to the wire and we blew the doors off a very good SDSU team before brain farting away a 19pt trouncing. I think several of our guys were way to cocky early on, causing us to surrender some big leads but they have touched the “hot stove” and should not make that mistake again. Coach Steele seems to be a little wobbly out of the gate but that too should pass. BTW, if that guy from Oakland is not Horizon POY i’ll eat my hat!
    Perhaps overall, but he wasn't wobbly at all when Fox zoomed in on him during a time out during the Oakland game, showing him very red faced and pissed off while letting the team have it.

I believe he will prove to be our best coach yet.

I also believe these guys will continue to gell and have a pretty good year. Yes, we are going to take our lumps, but I sense steady progress on the way to a relatively strong finish.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I believe he will prove to be our best coach yet.
    Based on what? That is crazy-high expectations for a guy less than 10 games into his coaching career.

All-Conference
    It hasn't been coincidence or luck that we've hired successful coaches. We're the only game in town and the university knows basketball is its cash cow. And they provide all the necessary resources to the head coach to ensure success.

Steele will be successful. Will he get us to the F4? That I can't be sure, mostly because I'm not convinced consistent 4 and 5 stars will come to a small private Catholic college in the middle of the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    It hasn't been coincidence or luck that we've hired successful coaches. We're the only game in town and the university knows basketball is its cash cow. And they provide all the necessary resources to the head coach to ensure success.

Steele will be successful. Will he get us to the F4? That I can't be sure, mostly because I'm not convinced consistent 4 and 5 stars will come to a small private Catholic college in the middle of the Midwest.
    I don't think X will get 5 stars unless it sneaks its way to the Elite 8 3 straight years.

If X gets all 40-100 ranked players, X will be top 10 in the country regularly. NCAA is all about matchups

Sophomore

We're getting four stars pretty consistently at this point. The five stars will come if we keep winning. Odom is a borderline five star.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    We're getting four stars pretty consistently at this point. The five stars will come if we keep winning. Odom is a borderline five star.
    Nm
    Last edited by Xville; 12-04-2018 at 07:02 PM.

X gets plenty of 4 star recruits.

Question- were any of the Nova guys who went pro last year a 5 star recruit? (I don't know the answer.)

Gonzaga two years ago- were any of those guys 5 star recruits? (Again, I don't know, but I don't think so, and if someone else could do my research for me...)

I think the only 4 star recruit on the two Butler teams was Howard.