Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forbes article re the big east

Xavier could not be more fortunate:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzm.../#292efe9558ac

When we finally woke back up and committed to basketball in the very late 70's, when we were able to accomplish what we accomplished in hiring coaches in such a manner that Tim Brando - among others - refers to us as the CRADLE OF COACHES, and when Father Hoff, et al pulled off the the Cintas Center, Xavier set itself up to be THE first pick of the C7.

Seriously, look at the dumpster fire that the A10 has become. Marvel at how well the Big East is doing and is set up to do moving forward.

Good times.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post

When we finally woke back up and committed to basketball in the very late 70's, when we were able to accomplish what we accomplished in hiring coaches in such a manner that Tim Brando - among others - refers to us as the CRADLE OF COACHES, and when Father Hoff, et al pulled off the the Cintas Center, Xavier set itself up to be THE first pick of the C7.

[B]Seriously, look at the dumpster fire that the A10 has become. [/B] Marvel at how well the Big East is doing and is set up to do moving forward.

Good times.
    The A 10 lost XU, Butler & Temple contemporaneously; very few conferences could withstand that situation but A 10 re-grouped & filled in to be just as well off as before. Not saying the A 10 produces FF or even E8 teams or rival BE.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post

Seriously, look at the dumpster fire that the A10 has become. Marvel at how well the Big East is doing and is set up to do moving forward.

Good times.
    A smart commitment indeed. Elevate the basketball program and you elevate the school too.

X was “fortunate” to make some smart coaching choices too.

Very good article. I am somewhat surprised by the information regarding the attendance at MSG for the co fervency tourney. All I’ve ever heard from fans of other leagues is that “nobody goes” and “nobody cares”, but if every session has been a sellout, that’s certainly not the case. I’m also a little concerned that the BiG 10 and ACC might try to take that week away from the BE by overpaying the gardens for that time slot. I’d hate to see it come down to a bidding war, because the BE wouldn’t be able to compete. The TV money just isn’t there. Every athletic department in the Big 10 gets individually, what the BE spreads around to the 10, because of the Big 10 network money.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Very good article. I am somewhat surprised by the information regarding the attendance at MSG for the co fervency tourney. All I’ve ever heard from fans of other leagues is that “nobody goes” and “nobody cares”, but if every session has been a sellout, that’s certainly not the case. I’m also a little concerned that the BiG 10 and ACC might try to take that week away from the BE by overpaying the gardens for that time slot. I’d hate to see it come down to a bidding war, because the BE wouldn’t be able to compete. The TV money just isn’t there. Every athletic department in the Big 10 gets individually, what the BE spreads around to the 10, because of the Big 10 network money.
    Enjoy and relax the next four years or so. I believe that's about when all the new contracts, Fox Sports, MSG, other league's contracts ... all come up (I believe that's what Greg Christopher said at an event at Dana's recently). As others have said, if you get the chance, do make an effort to go to the Big East Tournament. The atmosphere of Xavier playing there Friday night in a sold out arena is special. I don't know what your fans from other leagues are saying. As the article states, the Big East tournament has the top attendance of any league for their conference tournament.

Val looks like she could have used a little more sleep.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    After experiencing the Big East tourney for the first time last year it was everything I expected. Even without the desired outcome for X the atmosphere on Friday night for that Providence game was electric. Believe it or not it reminded me of the electric feeling at the Old Cincy Gardens when #1 UMass came to town!
    It would be a shame to lose the MSG site to a more moneyed conference.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    The A 10 lost XU, Butler & Temple contemporaneously; very few conferences could withstand that situation but A 10 re-grouped & filled in to be just as well off as before. Not saying the A 10 produces FF or even E8 teams or rival BE.
    You can't possibly believe they are just as well off as before. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    You can't possibly believe they are just as well off as before. That's ridiculous.
    I was waiting for someone else to respond to that statement.

The A10 is a hot mess right now.

Who possibly would truly believe that a "re-group" was achieved when you lose Xavier, Butler and Temple and replace them with VCU, Davidson and George Mason.
    X A V I E R

Regardless of how good XU has been on the court these last few years, these next years are going to be the audition for their next big paycheck.

FX1 will have plenty of conferences to work with, now that they are established, but revenues for them are still finite in this era of cable TV cord-cutting and advertisers starting to look elsewhere. (Although big sports commands top ad dollars.)

The Big East will have a generous off from ESPN, CBS, etc. no doubt. It's still a huge question if the network will be able to pay any conference what they have been, and where these conferences have their tournaments is going to be a key part of how the networks determine what it's worth to pony the cash.

I also wouldn't be surprised if in these next years a new network that's based online develops. Perhaps something from Comcast, Google or Apple, and they'll be looking for a major player.