Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    The only point I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is defense. So far our 3pt defense has been non existent. If a team has a 4 who plays outside we'd be even more screwed on that front than we already are.
    Yes, this seems to be the perception. I personally do not see this as a problem. You can't tell me that Tyrique is not quick/athletic enough to be an effective perimeter defender. In fact, you would think his size and length would make him exceptional but until coach comments on this we'll never know.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-15-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    The only point I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is defense. So far our 3pt defense has been non existent. If a team has a 4 who plays outside we'd be even more screwed on that front than we already are.
    yup, this is why this can't happen. our two bigger problems have been defending the 3 and defending ball screens. having both of them on the court at the same time would make it even worse.

Xavier would have to go back to the double low post offense for this to work. On defense, and as noted above, whoever is at the 4 would have to be guarding guys out on the perimeter.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Well, I guess theoretically one of them could be out there at all times, but if that's the case they won't be playing together very often. So then what would be the point of starting both anyway?
    Why does that follow?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

I could see stretches where this COULD work. I think you have three problems:

1. Our offense is not currently set to run like this (we can debate whether that is good or bad)
    2. What happens when inevitable foul trouble occurs with at least one?
    3. Which leads into, who comes off the bench to give these guys a rest?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Defensively....1-3-1

Hankins down low protecting the rim. Jones in the middle. Naji and Wel play the wings. Q out front.

Could rotate Scruggs and Castlin in for Q and the wings. Could even move Naji into the middle or down low from time to time to give the others a break.

There are several options, but no matter how it is set up it will take the players to EXECUTE the game plan.

Q...to Coach McKay of the the Tampa Bay Buccaneers some years back after another loss.....

“What about your players execution?”

A...from Coach McKay

“I’m in favor of it”

LOL

All-Conference
    I don't think them starting together makes much difference.

But playing them both at certain times could make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Why does that follow?
    It's hard to imagine either of them consistently breaking 30 minutes and we definitely can't field a lineup with both of them on the bench. Using that framework it's hard to imagine getting more than 5 minutes of overlap.

Just looking at their histories, Jones has never broken 25. Maybe Hankins is more viable, he obviously played a ton at Ferris State. They're both in great game shape, so foul trouble would be the biggest limiting factor to me.

This would only work against teams who also play two bigs. Would've liked to have seen it against Happ and Reuvers. Would also work against a team like Seton Hall. Won't work against 80% of teams though. We'll get bombed from 3 if anyone starts 4 guards and we play that line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Yes, this seems to be the perception. I personally do not see this as a problem. You can't tell me that Tyrique is not quick/athletic enough to be an effective perimeter defender. In fact, you would think his size and length would make him exceptional but until coach comments on this we'll never know.
    Yes, I can. At least, he's not laterally quick enough to consistently defend on the perimeter. Tyrique can jump high and has impressive fast-twitch muscle, but that doesn't mean he can move his feet fast against a speedy perimeter player.