Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Welage, Hankins, Castlin

Got to thinking about our transfer guys as a group and how unique they are in the Staak to Steele era. Safe to say they are 3 of our top 7 and I can't recall that ever being the case. Typically one could view that as a negative but not here. The fact that they are all grad transfers is unusual but even more so are their resumes. No reason to think they won't continue to produce big numbers. BTW, did Welage just set the X transfer record for points in an opener? Maybe Drew or JCraw did better but I can't find their totals.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-09-2018 at 04:11 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

How did that great-shooting stalk of corn from Indiana end up at San Jose State?
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Physically out of High School his D1 offers had to be very limited. Curiosity got the best of me and I dug a little deeper into some X history using my google machine. Welage soundly out scored transfers Crawford, Lavender, Stainbrook in their 1st games. Now I am wondering if he scored the most for ALL XU players in their debut? In the Staak to Steele era I mean. Larkin?
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-09-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Physically out of High School his D1 offers had to be very limited. Curiosity got the best of me and I dug a little deeper into some X history using my google machine. Welage soundly out scored transfers Crawford, Lavender, Stainbrook in their 1st games. Now I am wondering if he scored the most for ALL XU players in their debut? In the Staak to Steele era I mean. Larkin?
    Larkin did not even start until about 7 or 8 games into his first year; he had notable points coming off the bench a few times; if anything possibly Kimbrough as transfer.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

I do remember Byron was a sensation from the jump. Looked up his 1st game, a 61-58 W at Pitt but found no individual numbers. Doubt he got to Welage's 24, however he scored almost 500 pts in 28 games so maybe. I thought of Stan but same with him. His 1st game X scored 60 in a loss. Closest I could confirm is Trevon with 18 in his opener. Best shot....DWest. X scored 91 in his debut and by years end, he was the teams best player. It's an interesting "fun fact" to ponder!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-09-2018 at 09:58 AM.

I hope Hankins shoots better from the free throw line than he did in his first game.

Quote Originally Posted by mid major View Post
    I hope Hankins shoots better from the free throw line than he did in his first game.
    Agree 33% was not good last game. However, he was 71% last year from the line with 159 attempts. Think he’ll settle in at the line as he progressed from 61% his freshman to 71% his junior year.

Has anyone ever debuted with 5 blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Guy named Robins had 6 the other night for Drake.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Has anyone ever debuted with 5 blocks?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Could DWest own both?