Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Sophomore
    I also noticed that Evansville had a guy totally shadowing Welage yesterday and that opened up the middle for Jones and Hankins. His turnover came as he went by his defender on a poor close out but was met on the baseline and threw it back out to nobody. His role is not to bring his defender anywhere near the middle. He will be OK and his one on one defense will improve. Certainly not a great performance yesterday but I am optimistic.

I stared at this thing for A LONG time and this box score is a real head scratcher....so much to decipher but I conclude that we kicked their aces. If they shoot a robust 40% from 3 and we shoot a modest 75% from the line it's a blowout coupled with a perceived good defensive effort. Fact is, UE was jacked up playing the Big East champs and were getting real lucky from distance. Other than that, total dominance, especially when Q was running the O.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-11-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Then why are we running pack line?
    I don’t think they are tbh

Top-notch move by our leader popping a guy in the head with the basketball. Will kidnapping a pug be his next brilliant decision?
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

I didn't get to see the game, or the Q ejection foul, but it sounds like a Chris Mack throwback deal.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Team is playing a bit selfish in my opinion. Too much individual play and bad decision making out of multiple players in the first two games. Not a huge surprise with the new HC. Steele is going to have his growing pains and he will have to sit some guys to get his point across. He has to find his best defensive 5-6 players in a hurry. I like the young guys getting minutes early but that isn't going to work against Wisc and Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I didn't get to see the game, or the Q ejection foul, but it sounds like a Chris Mack throwback deal.
    Not quite that bad, but a real bonehead move and not a good look at all. It will be interesting to see how Steele handles it

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    With so many new players and player combinations, it is not surprising that defense is an issue. The good thing is that we have a lot of very athletic defenders, and therefore I believe that defense is eminently "fixable" with time and experience playing together. Coach Steele says that the offense is there already, and I largely believe him although we still play a bit too much one-on-one offense IMHO. But that, along with our defense, should not be a problem later in the season. I don't think we should be surprised if Wisconsin is more than we can handle given how early it is in our schedule. And Maui will be tough for the same reason. But by the time of the Shootout and conference play, I believe that we will be a tough out for virtually everyone we play.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    With so many new players and player combinations, it is not surprising that defense is an issue. The good thing is that we have a lot of very athletic defenders, and therefore I believe that defense is eminently "fixable" with time and experience playing together. Coach Steele says that the offense is there already, and I largely believe him although we still play a bit too much one-on-one offense IMHO. But that, along with our defense, should not be a problem later in the season. I don't think we should be surprised if Wisconsin is more than we can handle given how early it is in our schedule. And Maui will be tough for the same reason. But by the time of the Shootout and conference play, I believe that we will be a tough out for virtually everyone we play.
    Agree with you and XUPERMAN.

I checked the UE board and one of their posters literally mentioned that "that was a month's worth of 3's". I get that our defense has to improve, but good lord with some of those shots dropping. We all know the old saying about "ifs and buts", but it was a weird game. Now, part of that was a lack of respect for the opponent - not playing for all 40 minutes.

That brings me to the final point on this day after: the ball to the face bullshit stops now. Confidence? Excellent. Wonderful. Arrogance? No thanks.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Agree with you and XUPERMAN.

I checked the UE board and one of their posters literally mentioned that "that was a month's worth of 3's". I get that our defense has to improve, but good lord with some of those shots dropping. We all know the old saying about "ifs and buts", but it was a weird game. Now, part of that was a lack of respect for the opponent - not playing for all 40 minutes.

That brings me to the final point on this day after: the ball to the face bullshit stops now. Confidence? Excellent. Wonderful. Arrogance? No thanks.
    Agree.

I bet no team will ever hit 17 3 pointers or more again this year against X. Maybe Marquette.

The 2 3 zone for part of the defense helped Aces launch 3's. Please Travis, no more zone unless bigs/small forwards are in Foul Trouble.

Wisconsin is a LOT better than the Aces. Wisconsin will win a lot and be 4-6th in B10. I say don't double Happ. Hands up everywhere in passing lanes, keep rebounding from all positions, play defense like UC and offense like Xavier.