Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I didn't get the IUPUI game on TV. Both Fox Sports FL and Fox Sports SUN carried this one in Florida. So, this was my first viewing of them.

My 2 cents:

1. The team that was on the floor that built the lead to 15 points has potential.

2. May Q, as a leader, never do anything like that again.

3. We can only hope that this team will learn to commit to playing hard for all 40 minutes of each game.

4. I'm confident that Steele will mesh these guys together well.

5. Some of the Evansville 3's that dropped were fully contested. It seemed like they could throw it up and score. Yes, we contributed to their confidence level, but they got into a freaky groove against us - it was Hoosieresqu.

It's the second game of the year. I'm not going to panic.

Finally, and most importantly, I hope that kid who flopped slipped and fell during his post-game shower.
    X A V I E R

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Xavier built a 15 point lead in the 1st half and looked like they were going to cruise. Then they stopped playing defense and Evansville kept raining in threes. Naji was in foul trouble and Q got ejected. Harden and Kennedy had to play a lot more minutes than they should have. X's defense was terrible (did I mention I hate the packline defense?) and Evansville was hot.

Offense was good, but the defense, foul trouble, and Q's boneheaded flagrant was terrible.

Hopefully Naji shows up Tuesday against UW.
    I absolutely hate the packline...I thought it was going to leave with mack, but sadly it doesnt look like it. So I guess we will again be losing to Villanova by 30 twice this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I absolutely hate the packline...I thought it was going to leave with mack, but sadly it doesnt look like it. So I guess we will again be losing to Villanova by 30 twice this year.
    Fine if you disagree with the philosophy, but packline is not the issue at all, execution is. Packline is working out alright at UVA and Archie is installing a pretty good version in Bloomington.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    X has to improve on defence and practise those FT shooting. If we allow a better team to score 17 threes, we would lose for should.
    Someone should ask Travis if they practice free throws. If they don稚 they should.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Fine if you disagree with the philosophy, but packline is not the issue at all, execution is. Packline is working out alright at UVA and Archie is installing a pretty good version in Bloomington.
    It's a gimmicky defense that leaves the wings wide open and it's exactly the reason why Villanova has consistently destroyed us.

In regards to this season though, my expectations were pretty low before the season started so I'm not going to worry too much. As I said before, if hy middle of next year we look like this then it may be time to push the panic button.
    Last edited by Xville; 11-10-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Junior
    My positive takeaways:

Tyrique is a beast, more than I could have imagined
    Scruggs and Q shot better than 50% from 3. That's a great sign for them.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLmickcronin View Post
    Some is growing pains I知 sure but... damn I fear what this group is going to look like against the big east. 3-4 guys are getting lots of minutes who have no business being on the court in the big east.
    3-4? This is a huge exaggeration. What did we play 9 guys? So according to you we only can go 5-6 deep in BE play? GTFO.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Well then maybe it was the way Mack taught it and now the way Steele is teaching it, because it did seem to work better when Miller was here.

I think Steele is going to be a very good coach, but how many years are we going to hear about executing on defense? Everyone blamed it on the players (Trevon, JP, Kanter, O'Mara, Stainbrook, Farr, etc.), and how they just weren't good defenders.

You can't tell me Scruggs with his crazy wingspan, Naji, Goodin, Tyrique, Castlin, etc. are just bad defenders.

If it's poor execution, then Mack was to blame for the past few years. If this team doesn't improve, then Steele will be to blame.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Did anyone ask and did Steele answer why the hell we were in zone so much as they were drilling three after three? I would love to hear that answered. Maybe fatigue? But that will be a problem going forward if so as we arent very deep.

The packline is frustrating me too. If we ran it like UVA it would be great but we dont and we havent. Seems like the packline is less effective as the game evolves to chucking more threes than ever.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

If we ran the pack line effectively we would hear about how terrible our offense is. The players we have excel in open court.