Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    I’m concerned with FT% defense. We are giving up 77% on FTs and Wisconsin is 2nd in nation in FT%. I hope Steele addresses this in practice today.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Everything you stated here though about the passing lanes and the way the defense has played off the ball is because of the packline, which is why I hate it. The packline is more about interior defense, leaving wings open until the ball gets swung to one side or the other. In my opinion, it's a stupid defense and I hope Steele gets away from it, or at least makes tweaks to it by extending out the perimeter, but if you do that, then it's not really a packline.

I think in an era where basketball is going more and more to shooting 3s and essentially having 4 guys on the floor at a time that can shoot and make them, the packline is a losing strategy. People will point to Virginia as having success or Arizona, but I don't want to be either of those teams....I'd like for the team to make a final four.
    I agree, mostly. And Steele has said as much that he plans to tweak it to personnel, in-game adjustments, etc. However, you can play the packline off the ball much better than they have last year and to start this year. You can sag off your guy for help defense but still be ready on the catch. They aren't necessarily out of position (b/c of the scheme of the defense), but you have to do things in advance of the ball coming to you that they simply haven't been good at. Mack didn't stress defense, and the team hadn't the past few years bc they could and would outgun people. But at some point this team has to look at its sheer physical abilities and step up to play defense like they are capable.

X not only needs to get to the line more often but they need to start sinking more when they get there.

Not having Tre (85%) and JP (82%) And Gates (83%) And O’Mara (80%) and even Kanter (78%) means we need other players to step up or we’re going to see some games slip away that could easily be won with good FT shooting.

Sophomore
    Q, Paul, and Naji should get to the line a ton. Q is the only one that has proven to be a better than average FT shooter. Hopefully the other two can creep to about 75%-78%. Tyrique and Hankins will get fouled a lot too... Hoping they're above 65%.

Last year's team made more FTs than opponents attempted...

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    Q, Paul, and Naji should get to the line a ton. Q is the only one that has proven to be a better than average FT shooter. Hopefully the other two can creep to about 75%-78%. Tyrique and Hankins will get fouled a lot too... Hoping they're above 65%.

Edit...

Naji shot 75% last year, which is a good number to stay at, but it would be nice to creep up a bit higher, on more attempts

Paul shot 72%, which will also hopefully increase on more attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    A stat that can not be pointed to enough times.

It’s a great feeling when opponents are afraid to foul at the end of a game, worried it might seal a victory for X. Not so much when opponents, knowing X struggles form the line, purposely fouls to try to seal the win for their team.

Let’s hope Steele is putting in extra time in practice to get all of the player shooting consistently well from the charity stripe.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Agree.

I bet no team will ever hit 17 3 pointers or more again this year against X. Maybe Marquette.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Yes, it wasn't the most stellar defensive performance by X, but Evansville had 33 3-point attempts, and made more than 50% of them. Most D1 teams couldn't replicate that performance if the shots were completely uncontested. On rare occasions, the shots just keep falling and there's little an opponent can do to stop it. That was the case for Evansville. It reminded me of the Elite 8 game between IU and Kent State in 2002 where IU shot an ungodly percentage from beyond the arc and made it virtually impossible for Kent to keep up. Evansville's barrage of 3-pointers would have doomed most any opponent, yet X won the game. Focus on that. Yes, the defense needs improvement, but let's not catastrophize this.
    Last edited by Roach; 11-12-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Freshman
    When we miss 3s its because we can't shoot. When we allow a lot of 3s its because of bad defense. Makes perfect sense ��

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I’m convinced we will beat Villanova and lose to DePaul this year.
    You are my hero!!!!