Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Baseball

2019 Baseball

Just noticed that Xavier's 2019 schedule is out. The Musketeers open with 21 road games before the home opener on March 22nd. Based on the strength of the schedule, Xavier will have to be pretty darn good to win 5 games in that opening 21 game stretch.

Is that sort of Road Schedule to start the season common in college baseball?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Is that sort of Road Schedule to start the season common in college baseball?
    Not sure, but it is for Xavier. It's a good way to start the season with no hope. Xavier has to get a turf field if they want to even think about being serious about baseball, but baseball is the one sport where the move to the Big East wasn't really an improvement.

Looking back at some old rankings, and I didn't remember just how bad the A-10 was. So, I guess I'll revise to say baseball is the one sport where the move to the Big East wasn't a DRAMATIC improvement.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 11-05-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Not sure, but it is for Xavier. It's a good way to start the season with no hope. Xavier has to get a turf field if they want to even think about being serious about baseball, but baseball is the one sport where the move to the Big East wasn't really an improvement.

Looking back at some old rankings, and I didn't remember just how bad the A-10 was. So, I guess I'll revise to say baseball is the one sport where the move to the Big East wasn't a DRAMATIC improvement.
    I believe the renovation of O’Connor has some improvements for the baseball team. I don’t know if it includes field turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Baseball will SIGNIFICANTLY improve this year. In the fall, for what it's worth, they blew out an SEC team (Kentucky) 9-2. The question for Xavier baseball since joining the Big East has never really been how many games they can win so they can position themselves for an NCAA bid no matter what, it's about winning the Big East tournament so they can get that automatic bid. They have to go to those warm-weather environments, get better, and let it loose in conference play.

That being said, after losing their ENTIRE pitching staff (not just starters, even the bullpen), to either injury, the draft, or graduation last season, they're back and ready to go for this year. They have a highly-rated recruiting class, a couple of starters who excelled as freshmen that have a year under their belt now as sophomores, and a middle infield that can do some serious damage in the field and at the plate.

This will be a dramatically different Xavier baseball team than last season, at least on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by WestToBest View Post
    Baseball will SIGNIFICANTLY improve this year. In the fall, for what it's worth, they blew out an SEC team (Kentucky) 9-2. The question for Xavier baseball since joining the Big East has never really been how many games they can win so they can position themselves for an NCAA bid no matter what, it's about winning the Big East tournament so they can get that automatic bid. They have to go to those warm-weather environments, get better, and let it loose in conference play.

That being said, after losing their ENTIRE pitching staff (not just starters, even the bullpen), to either injury, the draft, or graduation last season, they're back and ready to go for this year. They have a highly-rated recruiting class, a couple of starters who excelled as freshmen that have a year under their belt now as sophomores, and a middle infield that can do some serious damage in the field and at the plate.

This will be a dramatically different Xavier baseball team than last season, at least on paper.
    Great update. Thanks so much for posting it. Last year was a rough one due to the coaching transition and injury. Looking forward to see what they do this year.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Hoping to win the auto bid from a mid-major league (which is what the Big East unquestionably is in baseball) is not being "serious" about baseball. The program has definitely improved in the last decade from the trainwreck it mostly was before, but no legitimate program is going on the road for 20+ games to start the season.

Glad to hear that we should have a better team this year, but I wouldn't take much from that win over UK. First, it's fall ball, so team's aren't really playing to win. Second, the Muskies beat UK last year in the regular season, too. And that didn't really turn out.

8 games in 9 days in Arizona in the winter.

What's not to like?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

2019 Baseball

I should go see them.

Just looked, with twins in March my wife is going to be huge. I will be at those games solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ArizonaXUGrad; 11-09-2018 at 08:28 AM.

It's alma mater vs. alma mater for me this weekend as the Muskies travel to Chapel Hill for a three game series to open the campaign. Getting one win and being competitive in at least one other game would be a huge success this weekend in my book.

UNC is ranked #7 in D1Baseball's preseason top 25, so getting that one win will definitely not be easy.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 02-12-2019 at 08:24 AM.