Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Game Thread: Xavier v. IUPUI (Nov 6, 2018) Non-Conference Game #1

v. IUPUI_zpswt2xr6a0.gif

Xavier Musketeers (0-0; 0-0) vs. IUPUI Jaguars (0-0, 0-0)

Time: 8:30 p.m. ET

Cintas Center | Cincinnati, Ohio

TV: FS2

Radio: 550 WKRC (link)

Live Chat

Live Stats

GoXavier.com Preview

The Athletic: 5 Burning Questions

Enquirer: Game Preview

*check back for more links and articles

The Setting

Xavier opens the 2018-2019 season playing host to the IUPUI Jaguars at the Cintas Center. Xavier returns just four players with significant game experience in a Musketeers uniform while adding three Graduate Transfers, including the reigning Division II Player of the year, Zach Hankins. Finally, Travis Steele makes his official debut as Head Coach of the Xavier Musketeers (with new Assistants Jonas Hayes, Ben Johnson, and Dante Jackson).

IUPUI enters its 5th Season under the direction of Coach Jason Gardner (former Indiana Mr. Basketball and National Champion Runner-up with Arizona). As a player, Jason Garnder won 107 games in four years. However, his IUPUI teams have never posted a winning record with him as the helm. IUPUI's last winning season was 2010-2011. They were recently predicted to finish 6th in the Horizon League.

Players to Watch

Xavier: Graduate transfers Zach Hankins, Ryan Welage, and Kyle Castlin are expected to make their debuts along with Freshman Keonte Kennedy and Dontarius James. How Goodin's shoulder looks, and how Hankins will adapt to Division I post play figure to be two of the most watched aspects of the game. Naji Marshall and Paul Scruggs return and hope to build on impressive Freshman campaigns. Tyrique Jones will be tasked with providing starters minutes in the paint. Quentin Goodin is not expected to be ready for the opener.

IUPUI: Camron Justice (KY Mr. Basketball 2015) is the Jags primary scorer having transferred from Vanderbilt, while DJ McCall is their best defender. Evan Hall will defend the post with 7-1 Ahmed Ismail. Freshman Forward Brandon Kenyon figures to have major minutes off the bench.

Last Game:

Xavier posted a 98-69 victory over Kentucky Wesleyan on November 1, 2018 (Link)

IUPUI defeated Central State (OH) 86-52 on October 29, 2018 (Link)

"He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    55KRC? Guessing WLW would rather do election stuff - UC doesn't play tomorrow night.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Can't wait to be at a Xavier basketball game again! Xavier season has really saved my sports fandom life over the last few years being a Mets, Giants, and Knicks fan. I have a winning team to root for again!
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    55KRC? Guessing WLW would rather do election stuff - UC doesn't play tomorrow night.
    I saw conflicting info. So I'm not quite sure yet.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

According to @slrussell: No Q for tomorrow night.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Well that is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Can't wait to be at a Xavier basketball game again! Xavier season has really saved my sports fandom life over the last few years being a Mets, Giants, and Knicks fan. I have a winning team to root for again!
    I was going to say that as a Bills fan, I really need this season to start. I only have one really sucky team, but we take sucking to the extreme. The Bills will play the rest of the season and not score as many points as X gets in the first half tomorrow. Our offense scored more points for the Bears than they did the Bills yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I’m praying that is an extreme abundance of caution?

The quote she got from Steele was that Q was participating in non-contact practice, shooting drills, and extra fitness work to keep his wind up. He would be ready soon, but not for the opener.

Paul Shruggs is going to have a breakout season.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."