Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Junior
    I'm guessing 10-3 is a pipe dream. Probably 8-5, the way we are playing. Maybe Steele analyzes this past week , makes some tweaks, and gets this team on track. This has been like watching 5 guys with their shorts on fire. If they insist on playing that way, then press and trap, and score off turnovers.
    Last edited by JTG; 11-23-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I guess 11-2 was a pipe dream but had we not blown a 19 point lead, we would have still been on track. Both the Auburn and UW games will be very "good losses" come march. We can ALL be Badger fans today when they beat #4 Virginia! 10-3 is still realistic....should only be a 3/4 point dog vs UC and Mizzou will struggle this year. OHIO is the trap game!
    After that 3-game losing streak, I would be ecstatic with 10-3. I think we can do it, but lack of consistency will probably doom us in a game or two.

I hoping 9-4 will do. then 10-8 in Big East is X's only hope. 3-4 bids for BE this season.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I'm guessing 10-3 is a pipe dream. Probably 8-5, the way we are playing. Maybe Steele analyzes this past week , makes some tweaks, and gets this team on track. This has been like watching 5 guys with their shorts on fire. If they insist on playing that way, then press and trap, and score off turnovers.
    If we lose 2 more we are in trouble. Mizzou is not good and lost their best player to injury. UC will be tough but you never know in that game. If we can win at UC 10-3 is still realistic. But I am really hoping for 9-4 at this point.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I hoping 9-4 will do. then 10-8 in Big East is X's only hope. 3-4 bids for BE this season.
    Easily 5. People always forget come selection Sunday just how hard it is to find 68 worthy teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Easily 5. People always forget come selection Sunday just how hard it is to find 68 worthy teams.
    Wanna bet? look at the conference. It is early but right now BE is 6th best record. If BE wants 5 or more, it needs to be in top 4 conferences. A down year for BE.
    3-4 bids.

Skyline 3 way bet?

Wanna bet? look at the conference. It is early but right now BE is 6th best record. If BE wants 5 or more, it needs to be in top 4 conferences. A down year for BE.
    3-4 bids.

Skyline 3 way bet?
    In the Big East's worst year (2013-2014), they earned 4 bids. Yes, Providence was the auto bid, but they earned an at-large seeding at the same time. This year is definitely better than that first year. What this year's version of the Big East lacks is power teams, but it makes up for that in depth. Some of these teams will rise and some will fall in conference play, but it will shake out with a decent number of bids, though probably not a lot of good seed lines. Just three bids is out of the question. Four is possible but unlikely. Five is far more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    In the Big East's worst year (2013-2014), they earned 4 bids. Yes, Providence was the auto bid, but they earned an at-large seeding at the same time. This year is definitely better than that first year. What this year's version of the Big East lacks is power teams, but it makes up for that in depth. Some of these teams will rise and some will fall in conference play, but it will shake out with a decent number of bids, though probably not a lot of good seed lines. Just three bids is out of the question. Four is possible but unlikely. Five is far more likely.
    What does this mean," Providence was the auto bid, but they earned an at-large seeding at the same time." How does a team earn an auto bid AND an at-large seeding? Do you mean they were not seeded 12-16?

Also 5 years ago, the ACC, SEC, B10 and B12 did NOT have as gigantic as conferences as they do now. They gulp up most of the bids in the top 4 spots.

If BE is better than 2014, Awesome!! Does that mean teh B12, ACC, B10 and B12 are worse than 2014? If not, BE needs to be in top 4 to earn 5-6 bids unless DePaul, X, Seton Hall win the BE tourney.

What does this mean," Providence was the auto bid, but they earned an at-large seeding at the same time." How does a team earn an auto bid AND an at-large seeding? Do you mean they were not seeded 12-16?

Also 5 years ago, the ACC, SEC, B10 and B12 did NOT have as gigantic as conferences as they do now. They gulp up most of the bids in the top 4 spots.

If BE is better than 2014, Awesome!! Does that mean teh B12, ACC, B10 and B12 are worse than 2014? If not, BE needs to be in top 4 to earn 5-6 bids unless DePaul, X, Seton Hall win the BE tourney.
    Simple: They earned an at-large seeding, not an at-large seed. This past year, Villanova earned an at-large seeding but not an at-large seed. It's not that difficult to grasp that though auto-bids contribute to the tournament field, teams seeded 1 through 12 tend to be ones who would make the field as an at-large team if they didn't secure the auto-bid. Thus, an at-large seeding or seed line.

Concerning your assertion that other conferences are much larger, that's not actually true. There have been some movements (e.g. Louisville to the ACC) but the last large conference shift happened at the same time as Xavier joined the Big East. The 2013-2014 season saw most major teams in the same conference they are in today.

But then, your third paragraph misses the point. The Big East this year is better than its worst year, where four teams made the tournament. By that, I mean that it's deeper. The third and fourth teams in 2013-2014 were 12 seeds. That won't be the case this year. There's a lot of good, solid teams but not a lot of great teams. It makes the overall average rating worse while disguising the depth. These teams compete against the rest of college basketball for bids, not against other major conferences. So, all that matters is whether college basketball is better than five years ago.

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any evidence at this point that basketball is better or worse than five years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XUFan09; 11-25-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    I think they will lose 5 non-conference games. Unfortunately.
    I'm still here, although it would be great to steal one on the road at a rather pedestrian Missouri team.