Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Looks like Q will miss the opener. I'm hoping it's just the opener.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    I understand what BPI is and its limitations, but my overall point was how flawed it must be to have those two data sets come out of it. In no way, shape, or form should DePaul be rated higher than Xavier, especially using a computer algorithm. Same goes for Marquette over Duke. That was my only point, and it makes me curious what information is being put into it.
    You're overthinking this. The standard for preseason weights is just being better than a setup with nothing at all. It's a really low bar. BPI simply underrates Xavier, but that's easy to do when there's only 4 returning players. DePaul returns a lot of a borderline top 100 team and is probably a bit overrated.

The vast majority of mental energy for these systems is directed toward how the algorithm shapes up for the season as a whole. Keep in mind that the preseason weights also get dropped altogether, thus further reducing the amount of investment in them. These preseason rankings by Kenpom, Sagarin, BPI, etc., are less worthwhile than Bracketology in mid-April.

Sophomore
    I’m not overthinking the preseason concept as a whole... there’s a reason BPI is so vastly different on the four mentioned teams compared to Kenpom. In Kenpom, Duke is 3, Marquette 29, Xavier 53, and DePaul 77. I’m simply asking why, or stating, that BPI is seriously off base compared to the other ones you mention. And it has me curious what BPI puts into it.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I'm guessing 10-3 OOC.

I'd be ok with 9-4 and disappointed with anything worse than that.
    If X is 10-3 OOC I'd be very happy. I see 10-8 in BE conference. -

20-11 going into BE torney, assuming X has 6-7 top 50 wins. I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    I’m not overthinking the preseason concept as a whole... there’s a reason BPI is so vastly different on the four mentioned teams compared to Kenpom. In Kenpom, Duke is 3, Marquette 29, Xavier 53, and DePaul 77. I’m simply asking why, or stating, that BPI is seriously off base compared to the other ones you mention. And it has me curious what BPI puts into it.
    I thought I read s’mewhere that BPI is primarily based on what a team has returning from last year....% of scoring coming back, % of minutes played coming back, etc......but don’t quote me on that.

Supporting Member
    Assuming X goes 1-2 in Maui, which I don't think anyone here can realistically project better than that due to the competition there, the OOC W-L record essentially comes down to 3 games....Wisconsin, @UC, and @Missouri. I don't feel great about this team going 2-1 in those three, so that's why I predict 9-4. Wisconsin and UC are both ahead of us in Preseason Kenpom (which unlike the junk that BPI is, I trust as a strong metric) and Missouri is about ten spots below us but that game is on the road.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I think this team may take some lumps early this season.

Sophomore
    preseason kenpom is actually pretty bad. Can't really trust it until maybe mid way through the season.

Sophomore
    As a whole, I'd be satisfied with 9-4. Anything better would be great/mean we picked up a couple nice wins. Anything less would be a big disappointment/mean we lost a bad game.

Sophomore
    I think they will lose 5 non-conference games. Unfortunately.