Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Q’s Shoulder

[QUOTE=LOLmickcronin;630035]
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    I was at that practice when it happened. He was in a lot of pain, but it was pretty clear the problem was a dislocation. I didn't see what happened but fortunately, that kind of problem typically doesn't create a lkot of problems going forward.[/QUOTE.]

I have to disagree with you there. This injury worries me. Not only can you tear the labrum or even fracture the humerus during this injury but often after dislocating once it becomes much easier to do again. Also, the injury itself can remain painful for 4+ weeks due to swelling in the joint and may not be 100% for 6-8 weeks especially given the season is starting and it’s going to start taking a lot more contact.
    not disagreeing with you but when I was just a few years younger than Q playing WR on the football field, I dislocated my shoulder on our very first drive of my senior season...our trainer and a EMT put it back in for me and I ended up coming back and playing the entire 2nd half and catching 5 passes....it hurt like an absolute MF'er going back in but after it was in the pain was pretty tolerable going forward.....nothing a few ibuprofen couldn't take care of really.....this scenario actually played out several times throughout the season and I was always able to go back in and play afterwards......Quinton seems like a pretty tough kid I'm willing to bet that he'll be able to play through it and will be just time.......to me it was just a nuisance, not much else.

[QUOTE=DexterBailey84;630070]
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLmickcronin View Post

not disagreeing with you but when I was just a few years younger than Q playing WR on the football field, I dislocated my shoulder on our very first drive of my senior season...our trainer and a EMT put it back in for me and I ended up coming back and playing the entire 2nd half and catching 5 passes....it hurt like an absolute MF'er going back in but after it was in the pain was pretty tolerable going forward.....nothing a few ibuprofen couldn't take care of really.....this scenario actually played out several times throughout the season and I was always able to go back in and play afterwards......Quinton seems like a pretty tough kid I'm willing to bet that he'll be able to play through it and will be just time.......to me it was just a nuisance, not much else.
    I think it comes down to whether the labrum gets torn during dislocation. If it's not torn, and they put it back in place, then alot of times it good to go.

If it is torn, then you will have shoulder weakness and pain, and they shoulder is way more likely to dislocate again.

I hope we are good to go with Q

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    I was at that practice when it happened. He was in a lot of pain, but it was pretty clear the problem was a dislocation. I didn't see what happened but fortunately, that kind of problem typically doesn't create a lkot of problems going forward.
    As someone whose shoulder dislocation in a football game at age 17 led to a rotator cuff repair at age 18 and a subsequent rotator cuff + labrum repair at age 37, I can attest that this simply is NOT always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    As someone whose shoulder dislocation in a football game at age 17 led to a rotator cuff repair at age 18 and a subsequent rotator cuff + labrum repair at age 37, I can attest that this simply is NOT always the case.
    Not to be “that guy”, or point out anything sensitive, but how long ago was that? The science is advancing at an amazing rate these days. My son was playing (not at 100%, but playing) in a HS basketball tournament 5 months after tearing his MCL and ACL surgery. My mother’s hips were both replaced, just 2 years apart. The advancement was amazing in just a couple years.

I’m not downplaying this, but I’m hoping and praying for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Not to be “that guy”, or point out anything sensitive, but how long ago was that? The science is advancing at an amazing rate these days. My son was playing (not at 100%, but playing) in a HS basketball tournament 5 months after tearing his MCL and ACL surgery. My mother’s hips were both replaced, just 2 years apart. The advancement was amazing in just a couple years.

i know a person who did both knee replacements at the same time.

[QUOTE=XU 87;630036]

You don't know if he tore his labrum or fractured his humerus. Let's not start speculating about all the worst case scenarios.
    I'm not speculating on his specific injury. I'm just saying there's a lot of unknown info for the OP to say that this injury is no big deal. And i know they're saying day to day but I know from experience a dislocated shoulder is not easy to come back from in a contact sport.

[QUOTE=DexterBailey84;630070]

You are very atypical then. While certainly someone could go, it's generally very difficult unless you play a position where you can keep the arm below 90 degrees (like O line or linebacker). WRs and DBs are usually done for at least a couple weeks after a true dislocation. You're either crazy tough or have super lax shoulders to begin with or both.

Even in a worst case scenario Q would not need a rotator cuff repair or anything. Most likely labrum only, which unfortunately is a 6-9 month recovery even with today's technology. However, generally this can wait till after the season unless he keeps dislocating over and over throughout the season. Which is what I'm more worried about--if the shoulder gets lax and every time he gets hit it subluxes or dislocates it'll be tough for him to keep playing.

In my case, had both surgeries done arthoscopically at the same time in 2015. Supposed to be 4 months until I was back in the gym and at one year would be “good as new”. At 4 months, I had a second surgery because I had frozen shoulder which would be like if your shoulder socket just rusted into an immovable joint. Surgery consisted of....yup.....just knock me out and the doctor just wrenched on it until it all broke free. Then, the scope and debridement. 4 months later, I finally made it back to the gym. Solidly 18 months total before I was “strong” again and could do things without pain.

That sucked

Sophomore
    A LOT of people stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....