Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Q’s Shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    A LOT of people stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....
    Public reps since the man is keeping me down!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    In my case, had both surgeries done arthoscopically at the same time in 2015. Supposed to be 4 months until I was back in the gym and at one year would be “good as new”. At 4 months, I had a second surgery because I had frozen shoulder which would be like if your shoulder socket just rusted into an immovable joint. Surgery consisted of....yup.....just knock me out and the doctor just wrenched on it until it all broke free. Then, the scope and debridement. 4 months later, I finally made it back to the gym. Solidly 18 months total before I was “strong” again and could do things without pain.

That sucked
    That DOES suck, and it was pretty recent.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLmickcronin View Post

You are very atypical then. While certainly someone could go, it's generally very difficult unless you play a position where you can keep the arm below 90 degrees (like O line or linebacker). WRs and DBs are usually done for at least a couple weeks after a true dislocation. You're either crazy tough or have super lax shoulders to begin with or both.
    Let's just chalk it up to being young, dumb and full of testosterone. lol

Of course that was 30 years ago so who knows what the hell was going on in my head.
    Last edited by DexterBailey84; 10-17-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Not to be “that guy”, or point out anything sensitive, but how long ago was that? The science is advancing at an amazing rate these days. My son was playing (not at 100%, but playing) in a HS basketball tournament 5 months after tearing his MCL and ACL surgery. My mother’s hips were both replaced, just 2 years apart. The advancement was amazing in just a couple years.

IÂ’m not downplaying this, but IÂ’m hoping and praying for the best.
    The advances have been considerable. I had a much better experience with my second surgery, which isn't too surprising given that it was 19 years later.

My initial surgery was in December of 1997, and my subsequent surgery was 2 years ago. Neither surgery was arthroscopic. In the opinion of the orthopedic surgeon who performed my second surgery, the initial dislocation was likely a symptom of a degenerative condition because my shoulder began dislocating routinely almost immediately thereafter, stretching my rotator cuff to the point that I could eventually sublux my shoulder at will. I ultimately tore the rotator cuff during the final game of my senior year. I had full reconstruction, and let me tell you, it was a miserable experience. The initial pain was bad enough, but the PT that followed was downright excruciating, and even once I'd completed it and restored a good deal of mobility, I lacked anywhere close to my preinjury level of internal or external rotation. Little by little, I accumulated so much scar tissue that virtually every shoulder movement was painful.

I did multiple rounds of subsequent PT in an attempt to avoid a second surgery, and also maintained a regular strength training regimen designed by the orthopedic surgeon treating me. However, I was compensating for the pain by making unconscious adjustments to my movements, and in so doing, ultimately ended up tearing my labrum and re-injuring (though not tearing) my rotator cuff. The second surgery was rough, and the PT equally painful, but 2 years later, I have little residual pain and feel worlds better than at any point since I first injured it. That said, I will always have some degree of pain and my mobility will never be back to 100%. Maybe that isn't the case for young athletes whose initial injuries are being treated through modern surgical techniques. Whatever the case, the point remains that a dislocation isn't anything to sneeze at. It could be a serious injury. That said, I definitely know people who've dislocated their shoulders and never had subsequent problems.
    Last edited by Roach; 10-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Patch Him Up!

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Sophomore
    While this doesn't sound too serious, it does remind me just how thin we are this year. We cannot afford any injuries during the season, especially to our bigs. I feel like we were unusually lucky last year by staying relatively healthy the whole year, but probably some karma after what we had to deal with the two years prior.

I think we could fight thru some minor injuries but anything long term or season ending is never good. I think we all agree our top 7 are solid with a lot of diversity and we get significant contributions from 2 of the 3 remaining scholarship players, so 9 deep is not too bad.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Freshman
    Science has come a long way in recent years. After a terrible accident in the 70s, they were only able to save Lee Majors and make him a $6 million dollar man. I betcha today he would be at least a $12 million dollar man and he would have better replacement body parts.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

Q looks like a superhero, so shouldn't he have super-healing powers?

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Why isn’t this a serious injury? Has there been any release of imaging results? If there is structural damage (labrum or rotator cuff) then he would probably be advised to have surgery on it.