Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Roy Williams had no idea all of this cheating was going on. LOL

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ll-corruption/

That's only marginally better than saying "we pay regular students too, so you can't touch me."
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    This may be crazy, but I think the death penalty’s effect on SMU football is overstated. Don’t get me wrong, it hurt them bad, but the reason SMU is just another random football program today is not the death penalty, it is conference realignment. Its no coincidence that SMU football today is more on the level of Houston and Rice than Texas and Arkansas.
    I think a basketball program in a major conference could survive the death penalty much better than SMU football in the WAC/Conference USA/American. Basketball itself lends itself to rebuilding faster than football (15 players vs. 50 to 100), and with the best players no longer staying four years, that cycle can happen ever faster.
    The two hardest penalized programs have already been mentioned in this thread (early 90’s UK and 2000’s Baylor), and both of those programs were in the tournament within five years of their punishments. I suspect it won’t happen to Louisville, in part because Duke and Carolina and the rest of the ACC would complain about how it would put a hole in their schedule, but I don’t think the death penalty would be as harsh as the SMU story makes it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    You are correct it is due to conference realignment, but that program was destroyed by the death penalty, making it an unattractive program to the big conference shuffle in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Yeah I think you're right here, the punishments have been less harsh coming through the ranks of the NCAA and it's a joke of an organization. They never really truly figure out what to do, and in return they look very incompetent. I think Louisville deserves some very harsh punishments, but after Penn State, Baylor football, UNC basketball, etc. it just seems they are going to get a slap on the wrist. I'd love to see this happen to them like Baylor, because it would try to help clean things up, but at the end of the day those programs are going to continue to cheat no matter what.
    Had it not been for the death penalty, SMU would likely have had priority over Baylor into getting into the Big 12 back in the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Had it not been for the death penalty, SMU would likely have had priority over Baylor into getting into the Big 12 back in the mid-90s.
    Not unless Ann Richards decided she liked SMU better than she liked her alma mater.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It's another chicken-and-egg argument - was former Governor Bill Clements (SMU guy) term-limited? I thought it was because of the SMU scandal that he didn't seek re-election as Texas Governor. That's when Ann Richards and her Baylor ties entered the equation.

Mike DeCoursey's take is somewhat similar to mine. Too many lawsuits. Too many third party groups hurt. No one at the school left to punish.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...r1oc9bxqvv8nza

Still that answer sucks. As an institution, Louisville should be made an example of in a way that forces college basketball to change for the better.

I think the NCAA death penalty just needs to be redefined as the death of your schools ability to compete for an NCAA championship. You can still play, but you can't play in the postseason.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I think the NCAA death penalty just needs to be redefined as the death of your schools ability to compete for an NCAA championship. You can still play, but you can't play in the postseason.
    I concur. A few years of no post-season, and a loss of some scholarships, that would take at least a little while to recover; and perhaps discourage others.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I concur. A few years of no post-season, and a loss of some scholarships, that would take at least a little while to recover; and perhaps discourage others.
    I disagree. REPEATED serious violations deserves something more than “a few years of no post-season”, IMO. You are just thumbing your nose at the NCAA (not that I love them) but also everyone else who tries (or at least pretends to?) play by the rules. Three years of no post-season is not enough if you get caught doing egregious things, then go right out and cheat again in a serious way. I would say five years minimum to make it more painful for opening brothels for under-age recruits and paying fortunes to recruits.

What has the world come to if a few years is all that deserves? A few years for EACH serious violation would be more appropriate.
    Last edited by xu82; 10-11-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Five years is fine. I just don't think shutting everything down is the best answer when you have contracts and other things in play. Let them play the regular season, but then stop it there
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!