Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Could Louisville Basketball Get Death Penalty?

I really don't think it will happen but this respected national college basketball writer seems to be calling for it.

The NCAA’s stated criteria for implementing the “repeat violator” legislation and enacting the so-called death penalty is straightforward. Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs … within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case,” NCAA documents read. “The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.”

In this case it isn’t just the same sport, men’s basketball, it’s the same coaching staff, Rick Pitino’s. And forget five years, Louisville didn’t make it five months. The first, with the strippers and the prostitutes, occurred because of the direct actions of director of basketball operations Andre McGee, who was gone by the time the sanctions hit. This one, if true, would be the associate head coach.

Perhaps even worse for Louisville, this trial isn’t even half over. The prosecution has already stated, without details, that another assistant coach, Jordan Fair, paid $900 to a separate student athlete at an undisclosed time. It is also possible that a secret recording of a meeting in Las Vegas may be introduced featuring Fair. That’s three separate members of Pitino’s staff that would be implicated.

If the committee on infractions doesn’t have the courage to implement the death penalty on that, then the NCAA should just give up and take it off the books.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/louisvi...225857521.html
    Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 10-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.

If this is true, I would think that the penalties will be harsh..............

Louisville has completely cleaned house. Board of Trustees, President, Athletic Director, basketball coach and every member of the basketball staff (and most members of the athletic department) have turned over. At this point, you wouldn't really be giving the death penalty to the party that committed the crimes. So I'd be very, very surprised.

I don't think we'll ever see a death penalty again. The dollars on the line in today's college athletics are too high for the NCAA to take action.

After the SMU devastation, I don't think the NCAA wants to give the death penalty again, but I wonder if we will see very severe sanctions that could cripple the program for a few years- such as no NCAA for 2-3 years, limits on scholarships etc.

Supporting Member
    What this tells us is that Louisville is extremely bad at cheating. They need to hire whoever is cheating at UNC, Duke, Kentucky etc.

The Louisville brand is too big for large NCAA sanctions. If it's one thing the NCAA has proven time and time again(like with UNC recently), it's that they just care about generating income.

I wouldn't be shocked if Depaul of Creighton came away from this worse than Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Louisville has completely cleaned house. Board of Trustees, President, Athletic Director, basketball coach and every member of the basketball staff (and most members of the athletic department) have turned over. At this point, you wouldn't really be giving the death penalty to the party that committed the crimes. So I'd be very, very surprised.
    Yes, but you cant NOT impose sanctions.......and they should be severe (if proven)......otherwise you are giving every single school the green light to cheat and all you have to do is fire a coach, AD, etc......

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Yes, but you cant NOT impose sanctions.......and they should be severe (if proven)......otherwise you are giving every single school the green light to cheat and all you have to do is fire a coach, AD, etc......
    I guess. But who benefits, exactly, if everyone involved from Board of Trustees down through equipment manager gets shitcanned.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I guess. But who benefits, exactly, if everyone involved from Board of Trustees down through equipment manager gets shitcanned.
    That makes sense, but logic isn't exactly the NCAA's thing.