Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sophomore

I would like to see a Welage article

He was late to practice due to finishing up academic work at San Jose but I have read some Mountain West articles that stated he had a good all around game (especially offensively but averaged 5 Reb a game and was not just a 3 pt shooter but if you go out on him he can be a playmaker). He could fill some of the role of Trevon and J.P.(I know that is a lot to ask) but how many Marshall or E Tennessee guys were downplayed in the pre game analysis (like bannersontheparkway) who almost stole the game from us. We did have an outstanding Castin and Hankins article already so would like to see Welage as well. With all hands on deck, we could make some noise.

Everything I've read about Welage has consistently said 1) he's a good three point shooter 2) he's not real athletic 3) he's really skinny and 4) he needs work on defense. I suspect he'll be a taller version of Brad Redford.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I suspect he'll be a taller version of Brad Redford.
    Lol. Never thought of it that way but think you’re spot on.

Redford was so short he couldn't even get his shot off most of the time. This guy is going to bring a nice dimension to this team and will be tough to guard.

My guess is that an article hasn't been published yet because they are waiting to see what, if any, impact Welage has on the team.

The other two grad transfers start with a pretty good story: a Columbia grad who is selected as Xavier team captain without ever having played for his coach; a DII Player of the Year who only ever had one school offer him a scholarship. Those lead to some compelling questions and answers.

I'm sure they've written a draft on Wellage already. But it's easy to see what his accomplishment has been. They might be wanting to see if there is growth or change due to the new environment.

I only imagine that he is in the doghouse as others because he struggles on defense and this team is demanded to defend. But seriously he will play to score and be an outside threat.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Redford was so short he couldn't even get his shot off most of the time. This guy is going to bring a nice dimension to this team and will be tough to guard.
    A 6’9” Brad Redford is a nice weapon to have. From what I’ve read, I just think Welage is somewhat limited doing anything else but shoot threes.
    Last edited by XU 87; 10-06-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Sophomore
    I am aware that I could make a good youtube of me playing basketball with editing but I submit this for your approval. Not Larry Bird but a little more that he is being given credit for against some good teams. I am seeing a little more as far as ball handing and ability to take advantage of mismatches. There are no videos of defense though...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVwIIUadzG0

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    A 6’9” Brad Redford is a nice weapon to have. From what I’ve read, I just think Welage is somewhat limited doing anything else but shoot threes.
    Maybe more of a less well rounded Justin Doellman???

But can he shoot it when there are actual people in the stands? LOL. He doesn’t look exactly quick, does he? But a nice variety of shots and seems to handle the ball decently.