Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Naji Marshall

Sophomore
    i have watched every X game since 2014-5 with my daughter both graduated but the only game i dont delete from my DVR is senior day 2019 when they had to beat St John to go 9-9 and escape play in game. No Naj and the ball movement was great, Welage with 19, Castlin 11, Hankins 18 and open shots everywhere. Certainly worse defensively and rebounding but incredible teamwork.. Naj was not fun to watch at times and he did NOT trust his teammates.
    Last edited by whopper; 10-12-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Sophomore
    Steele's teams have just had huge chemistry issues. Goodin was supposed to be the leader and frankly I don't think he cared for college ball these last 2 years. Scruggs would've been next but he doesn't have the game to back it up. So a ship without a captain has been our problem imo.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Steele's teams have just had huge chemistry issues. Goodin was supposed to be the leader and frankly I don't think he cared for college ball these last 2 years. Scruggs would've been next but he doesn't have the game to back it up. So a ship without a captain has been our problem imo.
    That is exactly why I'm so looking forward to first couple of games. Yes, lots of new faces on the floor and, based on the advance billing, some really good talent. But, those first couple of games, I'll be far less concerned about individual play and really focused on how these guys interact on the floor. I want to see a different chemistry and I think whether or not it exists, will be clear pretty quickly.

The mock draft at The Athletic was updated today and has Naji going #56 for those interested in such things...

It seems to me that we have often had a good player, who looked to have the skills for the next level.
    Unfortunately, and this seems to occur all too often in college ball, those players take their last year as an audition for the NBA...very often to the detriment of the team's success.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    It seems to me that we have often had a good player, who looked to have the skills for the next level.
    Unfortunately, and this seems to occur all too often in college ball, those players take their last year as an audition for the NBA...very often to the detriment of the team's success.
    So at what point does a coach look at his best player and say, "You're our best player, but you do things every game, like continue to take contested step back threes, which really hurts this team. We've discussed this multiple times. If you keep it up, I'm gong to have to take you out of the game and put you on the bench for extended minutes"?

And I don't know if there is an answer to my own question, although UC suspended its best player last year, and that seemed to work. I guess it all depends.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    This - and I would add a completely disjointed offense.

If the first few games we see an offense that doesn't work together, and no one playing the role of captain on the floor, and keeping guys in sync, I'm gonna break the TV. Honestly, I'm not worried about the leadership piece because I think Freemantle is ready and willing to take that role.

These are the two glaring Steele weaknesses if you ask me.

Sophomore
    He was 28% from 3 two years ago on 48-173 shooting. He was 29% on 44-154 shooting from 3 last year. Those are big sample sizes; this is who he is as a shooter. And the NBA three is longer and the defenses better. You simply can't play him as a shooter and his defense is terrible. He's just a flawed player; I can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    He was 28% from 3 two years ago on 48-173 shooting. He was 29% on 44-154 shooting from 3 last year. Those are big sample sizes; this is who he is as a shooter. And the NBA three is longer and the defenses better. You simply can't play him as a shooter and his defense is terrible. He's just a flawed player; I can't see it.
    What are your criticisms of his defense?

Supporting Member
    His defense is terrible? Huh? I actually think he is an above average defender.