Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Naji Marshall

All-Conference
    When he wanted to be a great defender, he was. It wasn't consistent, and that was mostly effort related.

Poor shooters can improve their shot. It sounds like he's been working on it.

He has the frame to be a James Posey type of contributor in the league. Posey made a great career out of guarding the other team's best player, being a great teammate, and hitting the occassional jumper. Naji will be a role player, but teams need great role players.

Because of his body, length, athleticism and defensive skill set, he has a much better chance than Tre or JP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    That is exactly why I'm so looking forward to first couple of games. Yes, lots of new faces on the floor and, based on the advance billing, some really good talent. But, those first couple of games, I'll be far less concerned about individual play and really focused on how these guys interact on the floor. I want to see a different chemistry and I think whether or not it exists, will be clear pretty quickly.
    Absolutely. I am convinced that after Mack left, Goodin and Marshall never bought into Steele. Remember the tweet, which was quickly deleted from allegedly Naji saying that "I miss Chris Mack"? That was in November of 2018. I also think that Marshall thought that what offense Steele was doing was trash and he just decided to take it upon himself to save the team.

These first few games are going to be really interesting. Steele has a lot to prove.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Absolutely. I am convinced that after Mack left, Goodin and Marshall never bought into Steele. Remember the tweet, which was quickly deleted from allegedly Naji saying that "I miss Chris Mack"? That was in November of 2018. I also think that Marshall thought that what offense Steele was doing was trash and he just decided to take it upon himself to save the team.

These first few games are going to be really interesting. Steele has a lot to prove.
    Agreed - anyone with any sense could tell something was amiss with that relationship. That's fine if players and coaches don't like each other, but it had an obvious impact on the team, which Steele let linger for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    On defense, his physical tools and tape grade out very highly from an NBA scouting perspective (I'd be surprised if they didn't). That's a different measure than how helpful he was in the Xavier defensive system.

Obviously we all know about the shooting.
    Welp. He shut down Jarron Cumberland. (Shoulder Shrug)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    When he wanted to be a great defender, he was. It wasn't consistent, and that was mostly effort related.

Poor shooters can improve their shot. It sounds like he's been working on it.

He has the frame to be a James Posey type of contributor in the league. Posey made a great career out of guarding the other team's best player, being a great teammate, and hitting the occassional jumper. Naji will be a role player, but teams need great role players.

Because of his body, length, athleticism and defensive skill set, he has a much better chance than Tre or JP.
    Yep, this pretty much nails it. Also, you have to keep in mind that those evaluating Naji at this point are not doing so through the lens of having to have actually watch full 40 minute games of sub-par Xavier basketball like we did.

What offense was Steele running as opposed to what Mack was running?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

Ironically, Xavier might have been better served losing games like Missouri and UConn where Marshall hit 3s in the closing seconds to extend the game. Would Steele have had a one-on-one with Naji and said "My way or the highway?"

Steele has not had that moment yet that I'm aware of.

Junior
    Marshall and Goodin was a double edged sword. Steele had to play them to have a chance to win, Marshall moreso than Goodin. Goodin was just a mess. I think whoever said Marshall and Goodin didn't buy into Steele hit the nail on the head. Steele had to play Marshall, but I would have told Goodin to take a hike. I may be nuts, but I look for a vast improvement without those 2. Anyone who has coached knows that everyone on the same page, is much easier to manage. I had a kid like Naji once, and the team was a mess because we needed his scoring, but he was a lone wolf head case that did whatever he wanted. I had other kids that were similar, but could be reigned in. Naji just told Steele to eff off. I think we may not win as much, but will be more fun to watch. And don't underestimate the power of a cohesive team.

Junior
    Tough situation too. How would recruits look at Steele benching a 3 year PG and the most talented player on the team. Man, this season can't get here soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Marshall and Goodin was a double edged sword. Steele had to play them to have a chance to win, Marshall moreso than Goodin. Goodin was just a mess. I think whoever said Marshall and Goodin didn't buy into Steele hit the nail on the head. Steele had to play Marshall, but I would have told Goodin to take a hike. I may be nuts, but I look for a vast improvement without those 2. Anyone who has coached knows that everyone on the same page, is much easier to manage. I had a kid like Naji once, and the team was a mess because we needed his scoring, but he was a lone wolf head case that did whatever he wanted. I had other kids that were similar, but could be reigned in. Naji just told Steele to eff off. I think we may not win as much, but will be more fun to watch. And don't underestimate the power of a cohesive team.
    Interesting thoughts. I think it's fair to argue that Goodin was so bad last year that he really didn't help the team. Naji overall helped the team, but he sure could have helped MUCH more had he just played smarter and more under control. And that leads me to my post above- at what point does a coach look at his best player and say, "You're going to do things my way, or you're going to see a lot more minutes on the bench"? Very tough call to make.
    Last edited by XU 87; 10-15-2020 at 10:36 AM.