Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Practice thread

Quote Originally Posted by RetireFiftyTu View Post
    I think Hankins is going to be really good for X. And his shot blocking will give Xavier something they haven't had in a long time. Most shot blockers also foul a ton but Hankins is a little bit different.

Per game
    2016-2017: 3.9 BPG, 2.5 FPG
    2017-2018: 3.3 BPG, 2.2 FPG

Totals
    2016-2017: 130 Blocks, 83 Fouls
    2017-2018: 128 Blocks, 84 Fouls

Per 40 Minute Stats
    Jaren Jackson Jr: 5.5 Blocks, 5.9 Fouls
    Zach Hankins: 4.9 Blocks, 3.2 Fouls

Take these stats with a grain of salt obviously since it was Division 2 but it is still impressive.

Tyrique fouls a lot so this could prove to be key. Hankins is in great shape. He set the big man mile record and big man record for the Riley Test.
    A couple other Hankins stats from last year:
    ORtg: 129.6 (the best ORtg a Xavier player has put up in the Kenpom era has been 125.7)
    OR%: 14.1% (if this were D1 it would have ranked in the Top 25 nationally)
    DR%: 24.7% (would have ranked in the Top 50 nationally)
    Blk%: 11.2% (would have ranked in the Top 20 nationally)

Again, D2 stats but still very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Just watched the Andy Mac Brad Redford podcast. 1st hand commentary on how team 97 is shaping up. Mac said that both James and Kennedy look physically ready to play now, that Harden has not shown much improvement. Heavily praised Scruggs as a BEAST ready to dominate!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfA6z7bwgtw
    2023 Sweet 16

Hankins has cornrows......that's really all I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    We aren't scoring like we scored the last few years....period. You don't just replace the #2 scorer in program history.

I do think by mid year this team will be much better off than early. Guys needs to find their roles and figure each other out.
    Agreed with that, I don't think we're gonna be putting up a crap ton of points either, but like I said, I don't see us being UC/UVA in the scoring department, I think it'll drop off a little, but you're right, once guys find their roles, and what not we'll be fine. I think Naji knows he's gonna be the go to guy in this offense, but Welage can shoot, Q/Scruggs can create, they haven't been asked to do this much, so we'll find out a lot more on how they adapt and handle it. We have capable players in the scoring department, it's just going to be interesting to see how long it takes them to mesh and figure it out.

A lot of us are assuming that Welage will start and be featured at the 4 but Andy Mac made no indication that will be the case. Predicting that we will see ZH and TJ together for 8 or so minutes and that Castlin would sub as a forward. If Coach Steele intends to have team 97 a defense 1st approach, all indications are that will cost RW minutes. I for one, am hoping this is not the case UNLESS Jones is being groomed to play a lot more at the 4.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 10-11-2018 at 05:07 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Was looking at some BEast stats from last year and ran across something quite stunning. Tyrique Jones was virtually tied with Govan in rebounds at 12 when averaged over a full 40 minutes!!! Only Delgado was better and he's gone. If he can start logging close to 30 mpg with consistency, LOOK OUT!!

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Had a chance to watch a bit of practice yesterday with Andy Mac and met Adam Baum, the new beat writer from the Enquirer. Seemed like a good guy. The new players that really impressed me were James and Hankins. And Naji is going to be a beast this year!
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    The new players that really impressed me were James and Hankins. And Naji is going to be a beast this year!
    Can you elaborate some on James. He needs to make some impact this year because we will certainly need him for depth in the front court next.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Can you elaborate some on James. He needs to make some impact this year because we will certainly need him for depth in the front court next.
    He has a college-ready body, and seems to have a great rapport with Naji. He has a nice shooting touch, and is very active and athletic. He will get plenty of minutes at the 3/4, and maybe even spell Tyrique and Hankins at the 5. He's a little small for the 5, but knows how to use his butt on boxing out and getting position.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Nice to hear those positives. Since he has the physical tools and a good motor, maybe Naj will reveal some of his 1st year success secrets and we'll get a carbon copy!!! How do they compare in stature? On paper they seem very similar.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 10-12-2018 at 10:09 AM.