Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Zach Hankins

Supporting Member
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-welage-1.html
    I would not sleep on Welage. He looks like "Opie" but seemed to carry a big load for an undermanned team and contributed on the boards. He also looks like he has a nice in between game that he can use if pushed off the 3 pt line. Defense is desire and effort and not having to carry the full load may make him an acceptable defense player if he is playing 20 min/game instead of 33. Castin will be solid, it is not your father's Ivy League anymore with the Pete Carrill offense. There is a requirement for athleticism that was not there 20 years ago..I see Yale a bit and there have been a couple of years recently when they were better than Uconn

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-welage-1.html
    I would not sleep on Welage. He looks like "Opie" but seemed to carry a big load for an undermanned team and contributed on the boards. He also looks like he has a nice in between game that he can use if pushed off the 3 pt line. Defense is desire and effort and not having to carry the full load may make him an acceptable defense player if he is playing 20 min/game instead of 33. Castin will be solid, it is not your father's Ivy League anymore with the Pete Carrill offense. There is a requirement for athleticism that was not there 20 years ago..I see Yale a bit and there have been a couple of years recently when they were better than Uconn
    People think he will play power forward too. Yikes. Maybe 2-5 minutes at the 4. I think he will be less harmed out on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    People think he will play power forward too. Yikes. Maybe 2-5 minutes at the 4. I think he will be less harmed out on the perimeter.
    He will probably have to play more minutes than that at the 4. He's too slow to guard a wing but too slim to play against traditional PFs.

People seem cautious about the expectations. I think I this team can be REALLY good.

We picked up 3 guys that look upon this chance with first hand knowledge of what it’s like to struggle. All 3 of those guys were overlooked and have achieved at a lower level. Each has a burning desire to get their shot at this level. They are NOT freshman, who often need time to physically mature or get use to the speed of the game, or unfortunately, lack the emotional maturity to compete at this level.

These guys are going to be great.

On a roster with 2 returning guards, a producing wing, and a tough minded center, we added a rim protecting center that can score, a proven stretch 4, and a hustling wing that can do a little of everything.

These guys are hungry and ready to prove something.

It would not surprise me if this team got to 26-27 wins

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    He will probably have to play more minutes than that at the 4. He's too slow to guard a wing but too slim to play against traditional PFs.
    Yep. And if I have to choose between a guy getting bullied in the post or absolutely torched on the perimeter, I'm choosing getting bullied in the post. If he's bullied in the post, he can still put hands up to contest a shot and the team can bring in a double team to force the ball back out. If a guy blows by him on the perimeter, the whole defense collapses.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Yep. And if I have to choose between a guy getting bullied in the post or absolutely torched on the perimeter, I'm choosing getting bullied in the post. If he's bullied in the post, he can still put hands up to contest a shot and the team can bring in a double team to force the ball back out. If a guy blows by him on the perimeter, the whole defense collapses.
    agreed

We had Bluiett playing defense in the power forward spot for two years. Thank goodness he didn't have to do it all alone. Welage should compete and he'll have help.