Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More Exciting Things Coming to Xavier

With the announcement of the Heidt Family Champions Center (f/k/a O'Connor), I thought now would be a good time to summarize what I learned at dinner last Friday night.

I had the privilege of having dinner with about 30 other Indianapolis Alum to hear Coach Steele talk about the team and unveil the next projected additions and renovations to the Cintas Center. These sets of projects are better described as 'The Final Two Percent". These are projects that Coach Steele and Greg Christopher have identified that can help Xavier maintain a competitive advantage in the Big East and on the national level. I'm sure I'll leave points out, but here's what I remember. The three projects are:

2nd practice gym
    Updated coaches offices & film area
    Updated MBB locker room

2nd Practice Gym: But Muskie, Xavier already has a practice gym. Very true, valued poster. The Men's team currently shares the two available floors (Cintas and the Auxilary) with the Women's Team and the Volleyball team. However, at other schools like Louisville, West Virginia, and Creighton, the Men's team has their own practice gym. Currently, if Goodin wants to go work on his jump shot, there's a 1 in 3 chance that he won't have a Court to practice on. Coaches like to show recruits the facilities when they visit, right now that may involve showing the practice facility while the Volley Ball team practices. Coach Steele believes in the necessity of this project so much, that he and his family are donating a significant amount of money to the project as well. There were three projected sites, all connected to Cintas. With three gyms, I imagine there would be an improvement in the Women's Team and Volleyball program as well (so it's improving three programs).

Updated Coaches Office & Film Area: Right now Travis Steele uses the same desk that Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, Sean Miller, and Chris Mack used. Cool, right? That's a bunch of Xavier basketball history. However, it's also an 18-year-old desk and office furniture. Coach Steele often meets with recruits in his office and goes over film with the players. Again, many of our league brethren have newer facilities (Georgetown) and recruits notice this stuff. The office gets used far more than I imagined as a fan. I believe the Women's coaching offices are also included, so again the improvements help both teams.

Updated Men's Basketball Locker Room: The Men's Locker Room has not been updated since 2000 in any major way. Most locker rooms are much newer. Locker room facilities are a significant factor in the continued recruitment of players. We compete against teams that have newer facilities and some of our Big East Brethren operate out of NBA Caliber locker rooms (Marquette most notably as it's new). It's a place where players and recruits spend a significant amount of time.

We all were very excited to join the Big East. For many it was recognition of all the University had accomplished so far. Membership puts us consistently one step closer to competing for a National Championship. However, moving up a weight class involves investing in new facilities and equipment. Simply put, Xavier can't continue to compete at the Big East level with Atlantic 10 level accommodations and facilities for the players and recruits. It was made clear that these projects will begin as soon as the funding is secured. Stepping up on these items is the price of continued competitive squads and Championships in the Big East.

I would never be so bold as to tell each one of you how to spend your hard earned money, but if you are interested in supporting these endeavors I can send you the link to learn more or you can contact All For One, about making a donation.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Very interesting. Most people would be jealous to have an office like it is now. My old company sold and installed most, if not all, of the A/V system used there. It's a damn expensive room as it is. We worked with all of UC's facilities too, so I'm not sure who's was more impressive, but they can certainly do really high-quality video conferencing and the video and control systems are pretty advanced.

Maybe he's talking more about furniture and just updating the appearance. Or maybe there is new technology coaches are using that I'm unaware of.

Locker rooms I can certainly see being a big draw for top players. They want to see themselves being somewhere impressive.

Thanks for sharing Muskie! Proposed change seem very logical. Feel free to share link...

I’m just so impressed with the whole transformation of the school. Not sure how we got any recruits to play at X when I was there. When recruits came for a visit, I’m sure it only lasted 10 minutes on Campus then a quick drive up Victory and down Dana Avenue to the Gardens (yes both, Dana’s and Cincinnati). Know Dana’s has sealed a lot of deals, but don’t think kids see it that way anymore:)

Sophomore
    when I sent this to my youngest daughter who is still a student, she replied "unnecessary, they need a new dorm yesterday". She is a fan. I will contribute to the all for one fund though..exciting year coming up with goal of sweet 16

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    when I sent this to my youngest daughter who is still a student, she replied "unnecessary, they need a new dorm yesterday". She is a fan. I will contribute to the all for one fund though..exciting year coming up with goal of sweet 16
    She's not wrong. I'm sure it's in the works, though. With the plan to increase enrollment in the foreseeable future, then to maintain that level and gradually become more selective, they'll need another dorm or at least to update/reinvent one of the aging ones. I'd say Brockman or Husman would be the viable option. Kuhlman is still fine, Fenwick is great.

They are running out of room to house the freshman classes as they are now. My Freshman year, '13, everyone in Kuhlman Hall had 5 per suite, 3 in one room and 2 in the adjoining room. Another option would be to let Sophomore students live off campus, though I'm not sure how that would affect the off-campus housing availability/affordability/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    She's not wrong. I'm sure it's in the works, though. With the plan to increase enrollment in the foreseeable future, then to maintain that level and gradually become more selective, they'll need another dorm or at least to update/reinvent one of the aging ones. I'd say Brockman or Husman would be the viable option. Kuhlman is still fine, Fenwick is great.

They are running out of room to house the freshman classes as they are now. My Freshman year, '13, everyone in Kuhlman Hall had 5 per suite, 3 in one room and 2 in the adjoining room. Another option would be to let Sophomore students live off campus, though I'm not sure how that would affect the off-campus housing availability/affordability/etc.
    I believe it's possible that you'll see plans that involve an extended footprint and new structures. This game of betterment doesn't end with the HUB, with what Greg Christopher is doing with the athletics plant, nor with the continuing development of University Station.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post

It is in the works. The HUB will be finished first. There is a plot of land along Dana that is designated for a new dorm. The key is if the enrollment continues to get the type of classes that this year's has in numbers. If so, the dorm will get the go-ahead. In the meantime, upper class men will continue to move off campus.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    I am proud of my daughters of course..Occ Ther and Nursing.. Proud of this team that you could be proud of(man I wish I had a final 4 but know how hard it is) and proud of the school's growth. At 63 I feel rejuvenated. I carry the ball for X in Conn very proudly and can't wait till fall to wear my X "Big East Champ" 2 tone pullover that I bought on Easter(too hot to wear) in ADDITION to by dark blue Xavier Basketball hoodie. I proudly dress like a teenager

I am proud of my daughters of course..Occ Ther and Nursing.. Proud of this team that you could be proud of(man I wish I had a final 4 but know how hard it is) and proud of the school's growth. At 63 I feel rejuvenated. I carry the ball for X in Conn very proudly and can't wait till fall to wear my X "Big East Champ" 2 tone pullover that I bought on Easter(too hot to wear) in ADDITION to by dark blue Xavier Basketball hoodie. I proudly dress like a teenager
    We’ll be happy as long as you wear pants. :)

Bring back the barracks.