Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When your team isn't good.

As Xavier fans, thankfully we haven't had to suffer through too many bad seasons recently. But a lot of us are also Bengals and Reds fans.

Personally, I"m a die hard Xavier, Bengals and Reds fan and unless those teams leave Cincinnati, nothing can change that.

My question though is. When your teams are bad, do you find another team or a bandwagon to jump on to supplement your sports fix? If so, what are the rules of engagement?

For instance, it obviously can't be a rival. Can it be a team in the same division/conference? How far can it go? Do you buy gear, tickets or subscriptions to read about or watch that team? Should it be the same sport or another sport during the same season? Maybe it's purely financial and revolves around betting.

To be clear, I'm not talking about abandoning your team. This is purely supplemental and temporary and does not supersede your actual fandom.

How does it work for you?
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

Personally, I'm just a lot less interested in college basketball as a whole this year. It doesn't help that the other team I root for due to proximity (Wichita State) also blows goats.

Mets, Jets, Knicks fan here. This is nothing.
    Run the table.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Mets, Giants, Knicks, Xavier

This is a rough sports year for me as well.

I am a SLU grad and they have been pretty good this year and should be able to win the A10, so there is at least that. Although they lost their stud freshman who is transferring to DePaul so that was a little bit of a hit to their season.

But no I do no pick up other teams to root for. I need to be pretty invested and know about a team to outwardly root for them. I can easily root against other teams.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Actually, I should focus a bit more on Murray State, who I always kinda follow. Ja Morant is just an absolute animal. Need to catch some more of him before he goes to the NBA next year.

Reds, Bengals, Xavier.

Best advice you probably won't take: Start gambling. You get a new favorite team every night.

Also, would be super weird to start buying gear and/or tickets to support another team just because yours is having a bad year.

Buy a Stephen Curry jersey. You will look cool.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Reds, Xavier.

I like rooting for DePaul this year outside of Xavier, though that's hardly bandwagon material. I am very interested in Xavier's season, but like GoMuskies, I'm barely following college basketball outside of the big east.

Even when my team is good (last 20 years, so I'm spoiled) I still like college BB.
    Fortunately the Wofford Terriers are in town, and in a new arena. So we have season tickets and can enjoy good basketball.
    They are currently are on a nice run and ranked in top 30 NET. We'll have fun while I watch and hope the Muskies return to form.

Also Reds and Bengals (starting to feel like I live in Cleveland), and of course the other Reds who lead the Premier League.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

The good news for us Reds fans is that they probably won't suck this year. They aren't likely to be particularly great, either, but at least they won't be one of the worst teams in baseball (at least they should be).