Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RPI Removed as Primary Metric

The NCAA announced on Wednesday that they have eliminated the RPI as the primary sorting tool to be used during the NCAA tournament selection process.
    This system was approved in late July and included input from not only the NABC and the Division I men’s basketball committee but “top basketball analytics experts” as well as Google Cloud Professional Services.
    “What has been developed is a contemporary method of looking at teams analytically, using results-based and predictive metrics that will assist the Men’s Basketball Committee as it reviews games throughout the season,” said Dan Gavitt, senior vice president of basketball for the NCAA. “While no perfect rankings exist, using the results of past tournaments will help ensure that the rankings are built on an objective source of truth.”
    The new metric, which is called the NCAA Evaluation Tool (or NET), will rely on “game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.”
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

GREAT! Something new to complain about! YAY!

I’ll leave it to the “experts” and the “mathy” guys to sort this out, and pray we find it to be a nice improvement. (Cough, cough, with a slight BE bias.)

RPI is basically worthless. I hope no one talks about it any more after this.

They won't be talking about NET, since they're not telling us how it's calculated.

Wonder what will happen to Real Time and other RPI sites.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    They won't be talking about NET, since they're not telling us how it's calculated.

Wonder what will happen to Real Time and other RPI sites.
    Stands to reason. They are in for a NET loss.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It's more a formality now - judging by recent selections, RPI was more of a sorting tool than seeding criteria in recent years.

Who does this?

"Hey...we've got a new ranking system called NET. But you can't know how it's calculated. Nah, nah, na, nah nah."

Christ, they're children. Wonder if the coaches will be let in on the big secret.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sure we’ll eventually hear all the details on how everything will work with new calculations. Agree with Paul, just be more transparent on this...

Too late this year, but this new system could influence the way teams schedule opponents and when.

I think I'm the lone defender of RPI. I don't really care about your margin of victory, efficiency or whatever. All I care about is who did you beat and did you beat them home, away or neutral. RPI don't lie.

Biggest coaching change I see in the calc components is "scoring margin". Coaches will now be compelled, like college football, to run up the score, especially on lesser teams.
    Xaveriana, one that bleeds blue