Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    X didnt "match up" well is an excuse for twenty point shellackings in which most of the time they were never even competitive. That wasnt due to just "match up issues," it was mack's refusal to adjust to the opponent.
    I can't disagree with this. I always felt like there was some kind of lack of preparedness or a lack of willingness to try something different against 'Nova. To be fair, they play a very similar game offensively and just do it better. Wright gets guys, to be fair, are all tough minded East Coast players. They all play hard on defense. We all need to remember, he took a lot of lumps early and Wright seems to either win the tournament or bail out early.

Wright is also a top 5 current coach who clearly doesn't like us one bit. He gets his team ready to rumble each and every time they play us. We have to win at 'Nova's best.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Wright is also a top 5 current coach who clearly doesn't like us one bit..
    ?? Ive never seen anything from Wright derogatory towards X. Example of something I missed??

As a coach, its his job to get the guys fired up and ready to play. That is competitive, but not dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Cmon, outclassed ? How do you explain Butler beating Nova 3 times in 2 years ? Mack just refused to game plan properly for Nova. Plus he let Nova intimidate us last winter at Cintas. Spellman played like a Mafia enforcer in that game. A good coach takes away something from the opponent. The " we do what we do " philosophy is stupid.
    I definitely do agree with what you're saying, Mack had no answer for Jay Wright, and that's kind of what I was going on about with Steele hoping he's not stubborn and willing to adapt to different tactics and become a better coach. I just think there's a lot of factors involved with Nova other than Mack, I think they're always ready and don't come out flat against us, I also think it might be a mental thing a bit now too since they have just put beat down after beat down on us. I wasn't saying Mack isn't to blame in the whole scenario, but there's just a couple of other talking points we could consider as well. It'll be interesting to see how we switch things up moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Steele has been on the sidelines since we joined the Big East. I don't think the "transition" is going to really be that dramatic.
    Right, I do know that, but it's a bit different when you're the head guy calling the shots. I mean Mack was part of a good Wake Forest staff in the ACC but still had some growing pains in the A10. It's a new role, and with a new role comes new challenges and faces of adversity. I think Steele will be fine, but I'm hoping we stay patient as a fan base if he doesn't knock the doors off in his first season or two, I mean hell we had Fire Mack threads 5 years into his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    ?? Ive never seen anything from Wright derogatory towards X. Example of something I missed??

As a coach, its his job to get the guys fired up and ready to play. That is competitive, but not dislike.
    I agree with this, Jay Wright has been nothing but complimentary of basically every team in the league, it's actually very hard to dislike him. He has a great personality, and I think Nova is great for the Big East. As we move forward, it's a program we should try to get on even footing with, I just think he's incredibly good at what he does, and his players respect the hell out of him. He seems charismatic, and a guy that I could buy into and play for. He's just competitive as you say, and he'll stomp on a throat to make sure they close teams out.

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post

Wright secretly may not be a fan of the CM way, but he clearly doesn’t dislike Xavier.

What isn’t a secret is that Jay has shown he has a bit more class and talent and integrity... and he’s always shown more respect for others than CM. That’s not to say CM can’t dig a little deeper inside and find some more of each.

There truly is not a more perfect fit for CM than the place where he now coaches. It is one of the few universities where integrity and class are not particularly important. You just have to prove you can recruit well and win enough.

Xavier fans should be grateful to CM for the things has accomplished while at X, but also very mindful of what he did not accomplish - yet probably should have.
    Last edited by IM4X; 09-21-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

I can’t wait until the season begins and people can start complaint about Steele not having the team prepared and about his lack of game planning for opponents.
    I can’t speak for anyone else, but this little video has got me feeling all tingly inside about Steele having the team prepared to play this season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/XavierMBB...621441/video/1

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I can’t wait until the season begins and people can start complaint about Steele not having the team prepared and about his lack of game planning for opponents.
    You left out complaints about "Coach having a lack of emotion", "had that deer in headlights look", and "he didn't make any adjustments at halftime".

I do believe the final 2% will be delivered under his reign.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I do believe the final 2% will be delivered under his reign.
    Yeah I could see that happening too, we're on the cusp, and our recruiting is fine with Steele in charge, he's a never ending recruiter, as long as his recruiting can also translate to the X's and O's, I don't see any reason why we can't get to a Final 4. He's young but he's been around things a while, and made great additions to our staff, I am definitely excited to see what the future brings.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Yeah I could see that happening too, we're on the cusp, and our recruiting is fine with Steele in charge, he's a never ending recruiter, as long as his recruiting can also translate to the X's and O's, I don't see any reason why we can't get to a Final 4. He's young but he's been around things a while, and made great additions to our staff, I am definitely excited to see what the future brings.
    Everyone accurately states that Steele is a great recruiter. Also, people have stated he pretty much ran the offense the last 5 years. One thing he has never done at any level is be a head coach (same thing with Miller and Gillen).

As you, I think Steele has everything he needs (mindset and skill on the court) to be successful. Also think there may be some bumps and bruises along the way. Hopefully people will be somewhat patient on his transition and he also surprises the hell out of me.
    Last edited by noteggs; 09-21-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Everyone accurately states that Steele is a great recruiter. Also, people have stated he pretty much ran the offense the last 5 years. One thing he has never done at any level is be a head coach (same thing with Miller and Gillen).

As you, I think Steele has everything he needs (mindset and skill on the court) to be successful. Also think there may be some bumps and bruises along the way. Hopefully people will be somewhat patient on his transition and he also surprises the hell out of me.
    Is this your first time on the internet? HA
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens