Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Mack also ran a 2-3. So those were the 3 defenses he ran. Are you suggesting X should have installed a 4th and different defense for two games per year?

While I realize Mack left, he was a damn good coach, and arguably the most successful coach in Xavier history.
    Dont remember him ever running a 2-3 against nova and regardless running a zone against nova is truly stupid just like the packline. Simple man to man would have been exponentially better than the packline even with the lack of foot speed our guys had...packline leaves guys on the wing wide effing open which works great against teams that cant shoot well.
    Last edited by Xville; 09-20-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Mack was a great offensive coach and I think he could game plan with anyone (Wright and Few were exceptions). Jury is out on Steele, but he is just getting started and we are going to find out. I think people forget the early lumps Mack took, but towards the end I saw him out scheme opposing coaches. He has time to learn and improve.

I am not bitter about Mack leaving at all. It took a huge payday, and his wife's hometown to pry him out AND he left us with what I think is a worthy successor (who has a hot wife). If Steele really is the mastermind of the offense or learned from Mack himself fantastic, here is to hoping that Johnson/Jackson/Hayes can slide in some rugged defense.
    I'm in this boat, I'm excited to see the potential Steele has, definitely agree there's going to be some growing pains, he's going to be learning on the fly in the Big East which is a lot different than the A10, but I think that'll help him in the long run. You're going up against Jay Wright, Wojo, McDermott, Cooley, etc. and those guys have been around a lot of basketball and are good at what they do, the biggest thing I hope for in Steele is that he isn't stubborn and understands when changes are necessary, and makes them. Since he was the mastermind of our offense, I'm excited to watch it continue to grow and us to put up points, but you're right, defense is lacking. He said he's going to address it in the off-season, and I think we have the athleticism finally to put together a decent defensive unit, we'll have to see. As for Mack, screw him, he's not our coach anymore, I could care less what he does at Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I did an analysis a while back regarding Villanova bs the Big East.

Over the 5 years of the New Big East, Nova had something like 20 total losses. EVERY team has logged at least 1 win against nova, so that account for 9 of the 20. Since XU only has one, that means the other 8 teams have combined for 11 additional wins against Nova.

We literally are tied for worst record vs. Nova in the BE.

jay Wright has our number.
    Jay Wright definitely has our number, but it's also interesting that Nova seems to always play lights out against us. I knew the game at Cintas was over when Bridges came out of the gate with 16 quickly, hitting three's over defenders draped all over him. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, but for the most part we were outclassed by Jay Wright and Nova. There's a talent gap for sure, but like people have said no way it should be around the 20 point beat downs it has been in order for us to take the next step. I think we're improving on the recruiting front, but we're going to have to find a way to slow down the Nova machine.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I'm in this boat, I'm excited to see the potential Steele has, definitely agree there's going to be some growing pains, he's going to be learning on the fly in the Big East which is a lot different than the A10, but I think that'll help him in the long run. You're going up against Jay Wright, Wojo, McDermott, Cooley, etc. and those guys have been around a lot of basketball and are good at what they do, the biggest thing I hope for in Steele is that he isn't stubborn and understands when changes are necessary, and makes them. Since he was the mastermind of our offense, I'm excited to watch it continue to grow and us to put up points, but you're right, defense is lacking. He said he's going to address it in the off-season, and I think we have the athleticism finally to put together a decent defensive unit, we'll have to see. As for Mack, screw him, he's not our coach anymore, I could care less what he does at Louisville.

Jay Wright definitely has our number, but it's also interesting that Nova seems to always play lights out against us. I knew the game at Cintas was over when Bridges came out of the gate with 16 quickly, hitting three's over defenders draped all over him. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, but for the most part we were outclassed by Jay Wright and Nova. There's a talent gap for sure, but like people have said no way it should be around the 20 point beat downs it has been in order for us to take the next step. I think we're improving on the recruiting front, but we're going to have to find a way to slow down the Nova machine.
    Cmon, outclassed ? How do you explain Butler beating Nova 3 times in 2 years ? Mack just refused to game plan properly for Nova. Plus he let Nova intimidate us last winter at Cintas. Spellman played like a Mafia enforcer in that game. A good coach takes away something from the opponent. The " we do what we do " philosophy is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Cmon, outclassed ? How do you explain Butler beating Nova 3 times in 2 years ? Mack just refused to game plan properly for Nova. Plus he let Nova intimidate us last winter at Cintas. Spellman played like a Mafia enforcer in that game. A good coach takes away something from the opponent. The " we do what we do " philosophy is stupid.
    Please explain why Butler is 4-10 agaisnt X since they both joined the Big East. Do the Butler coaches refuse to gameplan for X?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Please explain why Butler is 4-10 agaisnt X since they both joined the Big East. Do the Butler coaches refuse to gameplan for X?
    How many of those losses by butler are twenty point blowouts and the game was basically over after ten minutes of game time? It isnt just that Mack has continually lost to nova, it's that most of the time, x hasnt even been remotely competitive and it's because mack refused to to properly adjust against them.

This is all very interesting, but what it has to do with “Oral Commits” is beyond me.

Seems to have more to do with oral comments than anything else.

I can’t wait until the season begins and people can start complaint about Steele not having the team prepared and about his lack of game planning for opponents.

I suggest taking the Mack discussion to the Mall....have a drinking contest...last person awake wins. He’s gone. He’s not coming back. Get over it already!

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    How many of those losses by butler are twenty point blowouts and the game was basically over after ten minutes of game time? It isnt just that Mack has continually lost to nova, it's that most of the time, x hasnt even been remotely competitive and it's because mack refused to to properly adjust against them.
    What i'm saying is there are teams that X match up well against and teams they don't. I'm not into moral virtory losses. Would you rather lose by 20 or on a last second 3 from the corner that keeps you from the Sweet Sixteen?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    What i'm saying is there are teams that X match up well against and teams they don't. I'm not into moral virtory losses. Would you rather lose by 20 or on a last second 3 from the corner that keeps you from the Sweet Sixteen?
    X didnt "match up" well is an excuse for twenty point shellackings in which most of the time they were never even competitive. That wasnt due to just "match up issues," it was mack's refusal to adjust to the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post

Steele has been on the sidelines since we joined the Big East. I don't think the "transition" is going to really be that dramatic.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    A good coach takes away something from the opponent.
    So Chris Mack wasn't a good coach? Okay.